PDA

View Full Version : Traction Control on Road Courses

tullamore
07-08-2002, 04:23 PM
I have a 2001 Mustang Cobra and I in the 5 events I have run with it I have always turned traction control off. The other day I saw a demonstration on the difference between traction control on and traction control off while racing and the traction control on was much better.

I have always turned it off so that I wouldn't have to worry about my rear brakes coming on when I wasn't expecting it, and to save wear on them.

So what does everyone else think, do you run with it on, or off?

sn8kbit
07-08-2002, 05:43 PM
of the events i've run, i've had it on. not to mention everytime i've been on track it's rained....:( hopefully Road America in september will be dry, and i might try a couple of laps with it off...

tullamore
07-08-2002, 05:55 PM
Hey Cobra-R did you have your traction control on when you were following me around at Hallet. That might be another reason that I was pulling ahead of you out of the corners.

Cobra-R
07-08-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by tullamore
Hey Cobra-R did you have your traction control on when you were following me around at Hallet. That might be another reason that I was pulling ahead of you out of the corners.

Sorry Steve, just saw this post.

The first thing I do when I start the car to head out on the track is turn the traction control off. I have forgotten to turn it off and usually it takes a couple corners into a run to realize that it was forgotten.

If it's wet, I will leave it on for a while just as a precaution till I get a feel for the wet. It will slow you down, but it is a extra measure of safety that I feel is worth sacrificing some speed for.

Bottom line, traction control is not going to allow you to turn faster lap times, but for some drivers that want a safety backup it is a good idea. From the limited amount of time I was watching you from behind at Hallet, I do not see you using it on the track. Try it for a session, you will see what I am talking about.

Brian

btw. I have signed up for the Iowa Mustang club event in August, hope to see you there.

tullamore
07-09-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Cobra-R
btw. I have signed up for the Iowa Mustang club event in August, hope to see you there.

First thing I do is turn off traction control also, I have forgotten before and you can feel it braking. I just wanted to see what the concensus was on this topic.

Yes, I will be there :) Running MAM is great time...