PDA

View Full Version : the Vortech upgrade, basic tech question

mustangscotty
07-13-2002, 11:12 PM
Hey Folks

Been in old mustangs for ever and just bought my first new mustang, an 01 Cobra
Considering installing a Vortech supercharger kit and I am certain I can install it myself, though with all the computer chips and sensors, I am low on confidence.
What sort of tuning should I expect when it comes to the Vortech?

Thanks in advance..

Mustangscotty

Big Daddy
07-14-2002, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by mustangscotty
Hey Folks

Been in old mustangs for ever and just bought my first new mustang, an 01 Cobra
Considering installing a Vortech supercharger kit and I am certain I can install it myself, though with all the computer chips and sensors, I am low on confidence.
What sort of tuning should I expect when it comes to the Vortech?

Thanks in advance..

Mustangscotty

My experience is the chip tune for Vortech isn't very good. Once you get the chip back from Vortech install it then go have a good tech who is very familiar with the mod motors do a proper tune on the chip.

blown92gt
07-15-2002, 02:22 PM
its not hard to do, sensors only plug back into themselves, just put it back together like you took it apart and read the directions carefully that vortech sends you. As far as chips go for tuning JMS is about the best out there, my friend just installed a blower on his car and got a JMS chip and it has worked very well. Don't plan on driving it though until you have the chip in because it will load up and not idle.

smashedheadcat
07-15-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Big Daddy

My experience is the chip tune for Vortech isn't very good.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Anyway, my car seemed to run just fine before she bit the bullet (with Vortech's chip). My car still has the vortech chip now. It does however, need a good tune. I don't plan on taking my car to the track or anything until then.

tcrews
07-16-2002, 09:24 AM
The vast majority of Vortech users have success stories with the supplied chip, though it usually runs more towards the rich side (less power, less MPG).

A dyno tune is definitely something to consider, but only from someone with a lot of knowledge and experience with the modular engines.

More people have blown their engines with a dyno-tuned chip then with the Vortech supplied chip.

Your best bet is to get the kit, install it with the supplied chip and then hit the dyno for a pull with wide-band A/F metering. This will show you where you are and if there are any problems that need to be addressed (too lean, too rich, etc...).

Get everything on and working, then start working from there. You don't want too many changes at once from the stock kit until everything is running smooth.

A proper dyno-tune is a must....but the key word is proper!!! If you install the kit with supplied chip and your A/F is okay or a tad on the rich side....I'd just stick with that. You'll want to look for a 11.9:1 A/F ratio max on the dyno. Anything higher can be dangerous on the street. Once you force the engine to actually move the car (vs. spinning the dyno rollers) your A/F ratio will move up about .5 (11.9:1 becomes 12.4:1).

My car ran flawlessly with the Vortech supplied chip and I made about 10 passes at the 1/4 strip and numerous street runs. I had the car dyno-tuned and it blew the next track trip.

Big Daddy
07-16-2002, 11:02 AM
This is only MY experience but here is the story of Vortech chips and my car.

1st chip had very simply put the WRONG program on it. It was so wrong it messed up my speedo. Kenny Brown's tech called Vortech and they sent me another chip. This one worked much better but was causing the car to stall when I would brake from high RPM's. 3rd chip worked alright but was very rich on low end of the RPM's and very LEAN (bad news) on the high end of the RPM's. I took the car to True Blue and Randy Haywood (who is an expert with the mod motors) tuned the chip and got alot of torque out of the chip and smoothed out the A/F ratio. I agree with Tom though if you take it for a dyno tune make REAL sure the person who does it knows his SH*T about the mod motors. I think I saw you were in Charleston if that is correct a trip to Benson, NC to see Randy at True Blue would be my advice.

TAKE CARE AND GOOD LUCK! :D :D

mustangscotty
07-16-2002, 05:36 PM
Wouldnt happen to have a phone number to True Blue? Thanks for the great information!

Scott

smashedheadcat
07-17-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by mustangscotty
Wouldnt happen to have a phone number to True Blue? Thanks for the great information!

Scott

True Blue Performance
46 Last Cast Drive
Benson, NC 27504
(919) 989-6780 - Raleigh Area
(866) TRUE BLUE - Toll Free
(919) 989-6894 - Fax

www.trueblueperformance.com