PDA

View Full Version : Anything to fix wheel hop on 01 Cobra

blown92gt
07-16-2002, 11:41 PM
Are there any bushing, springs etc. that can be installed to limit wheel hop. I new to IRS and don't know what can be done to help.
Thanks

cobrajg
07-17-2002, 11:53 AM
Find a solid rear to replace the irs. I have steeda springs, paul's brace and only get wheel hop on the 1-2 shift, nothing off the line but wheel spin. Was going to try different shocks like others have done, but I am not going to spend any more money on what can't be fixed. Also, I don't want to spend $800 for GKN halfshafts and then have another part of the irs break. Find a newer GT to swap with and you will be set.

Big Daddy
07-17-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by cobrajg
Find a solid rear to replace the irs. I have steeda springs, paul's brace and only get wheel hop on the 1-2 shift, nothing off the line but wheel spin. Was going to try different shocks like others have done, but I am not going to spend any more money on what can't be fixed. Also, I don't want to spend $800 for GKN halfshafts and then have another part of the irs break. Find a newer GT to swap with and you will be set.

Well I have a Kenny Brown brace along with the KB rear steer kit, GKN stage III half-shafts and I still get some hop....BUT that is with 450 rwhp. And to be fair I haven't driven the car yet with the brace and half-shafts so I don't know what it will do. I get the car back Friday and it will be pushing 600 RWHP. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks how it works out! :D

blown92gt
07-17-2002, 06:48 PM
Well I don't want to take out the IRS. I have a 92gt for a drag car, any other suggestions for the Irs setup would be appreciated. By the way the car is stock with full exhaust and gears. Not to much horsepower their.
Thanks

Ken 01-Cobra
07-17-2002, 06:58 PM
I've done the PHP brace and bushings and H&R spacers to try to tame the hop. It is only 2-3 hops now on the 1-2 shift instead of a jackhammer, but it isn't gone. I have DR's that I hope will get rid of the rest of it the next time to the track. If not, springs and shocks will be next. If you want to see the mods, visit my page.

sn8kbit
07-17-2002, 07:16 PM
well, true, wheel hop will not go away, not unless you put in the live axle.

there are ways to soften it.

1 springs. you wanna ditch that 4x4 look anyway, right? ;)

2 tires. wider ones help, wider + taller will help more. taller is not good on a road course, but on the street they'll do fine. i'm running 255/45 17's on my stock rims, and hardly get hop on a moderate launch.

3 diff bushings.

4 shocks

5 delrin aluminum control arm bushings for the IRS (dayum expensive at 389 per pair, and increased NVH)

these things'll work until you start adding gear and HP you can mask it, but it won't completely go away....

looking into a live axle swap meself.....

spittincobra01
07-19-2002, 08:55 PM
I didn't even go to the extreems listed above and got alot of good results. I have the Kenny Brown sport springs and bushings, with Bilstein shocks and Bridgestone Potenza RE 730 255/40/17 on stock rims and have no hop on launch or whole shot and only 2 to 3 hops on a very hard 1-2 shift. My entire drive train is completely stock. I also have the Kenny Brown SFC's, four point lower chasis and strut tower braces and CC plates. I am very happy with it so far, and it was all easy to install. If you are a member you'll get a discount from KB.

cobrabitn
07-20-2002, 08:43 PM
Like Matt I have the Kenny Brown springs with Steeda IRS bushings to take out the slop. The rest of my suspension is stock and on the street with this set-up I have no wheel hop at all on the street. Read it again, NO Wheel Hop on the street. I have the stock BFG's still on the car. My car will go sideways when I get it off the line.... :textgrin:

At the dragstrip, I use the Nitto 555 drag radials on the rear only and run 16-18 lbs of pressure. I have no wheel hop on the one two shift but a little bit on the two three shift when I hit the gears hard. I do spin a lot but that is due to driver error not the car. BTW, my Snake used to be like a professional basketball player on the strip when he dribbles the ball. I thought the entire rear end was going to come out. Now, I don't even have to worry about it.

I have no IRS brace or anything else. Just the KB springs and the Steeda IRS bushings. Hope this helps out. Oh yeah, if you are an SCMC member you get 15% off KB merchandise....lol.
:thumbsup:

blown92gt
07-20-2002, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Pete

SilverStang
08-17-2002, 11:35 AM
Has anyone tried the MN12 IRS bushings? At $40 a set, they are cheaper then some of the aformentioned.
You can find them here: www.mn12performance.com

Eric

cobrabitn
08-21-2002, 10:59 AM
Haven't tried those but dang good 1/4 mile numbers....:bounce:

SilverStang
08-21-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by cobrabitn
Haven't tried those but dang good 1/4 mile numbers....:bounce:

Thank You! That was with 4:30 gears and BFG DR's. Now I've got Magnaflow X-w/cats and Catback, hopefully I can get into the mid 12's with some good weather.
We'll see, if I keep it long enough...

Eric

Jefflounsbury
09-16-2002, 09:15 PM
Here is a long shot. I just sold my 89 T-bird supercoupe that had around 350hp. The cure we used on our supercoupes(basically the same 8.8 irs setup) was a set of air bags in the rear springs, and preload the right side by about 10lbs. I think the bags cost only like $60.00, and you dont even have to take the springs out to do it. I would try it, but my 98 doesnt seem to have that problem:)

Jeff Lounsbury

jbracing
09-18-2002, 06:26 PM
The Griggs Delrin bushings are the secret. The replace the lower control arm bushings. Expensive but worth every bit of it. We have also played with pinion angles. The new 01 and 02 cars have less pinion angle.

sn8kbit
09-18-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by jbracing
The Griggs Delrin bushings are the secret. The replace the lower control arm bushings. Expensive but worth every bit of it. We have also played with pinion angles. The new 01 and 02 cars have less pinion angle.

hey jeremy, welcome to the board. saw ya run up at RA, i'm still trying to figure out what you're front end alignement settings were.

cobrabitn
09-19-2002, 10:17 AM
I agree about the airbags Jeff.

Also, welcome to the board jbracing.

truebluecobra
10-12-2002, 02:21 PM
if the 01 and 03 have less pinion angle - does that mean an 01 would need more or less angle ? What is your angle ??

I have a stock 01 that I installed an 03 pinion support and still have wheel hop on any launch over 2200 rpm's, it did help 1-2 shift and 2-3 shift. I can only get 2.1 60 ft and 13.66@103.5 mph driving it out of the hole. Next is the bilstein shocks from 03 and then springs from same. If it works on 03 its gotta help 01!!!!The air bag idea has crossed my mind...............I really enjoy auto X and have a drag only car so just trying to improve IRS.