PDA

View Full Version : what shifter is the best?

Jefflounsbury
07-17-2002, 05:56 PM
I just wanted to say that I am new to this site, (I only got the car 3 days ago) And I really appreciate the answers that I have gotten on another question-you guys rock! Anyway, I have to get a new shifter, this factory one really sucks. Can anyone tell me which is the best, or just their opinions on shifters they have tried? Thanks

Ken 01-Cobra
07-17-2002, 07:02 PM
I've tried them all. I prefer the Pro 5.0. Some prefer the Steeda. Some prefer others. The very best thing you could do on this is visit a place where there are a lot of folks with different shifters and try them all, then get the one that feels best to you. I've had guys with others try mine and like it better, and I've had guys try mine and buy others, so it really is a subjective thing. The only objective thing is that ANY aftermarket shifter is an improvement on that stock thing! :thumbsup: :D

sn8kbit
07-17-2002, 07:17 PM
i've driven several with different shifters, and personal preference for me is the steeda. now just to add that MGW handle to it....

theman
07-18-2002, 02:10 AM
I have owned the Pro 5.0 and the Steeda Tri-Ax. The Steeda wins hands down!!!

bolt-on
07-18-2002, 04:33 PM
I own two T45 transmission equipped Mustangs. One has a B&M Ripper shifter and the other a Steeda Tri-Ax. I would tend to favor the Ripper for drag racing. Notchier feel and shorter throws. For open track the Tri-Ax would be my choice. Gear selection seems very natural for the seating position with the harness snugged up. No missed shifts or wrong gear yet, no matter what the adrenaline level! I have no experience with the newer T-3650 5-speed or T56 6-speed equipped cars.

Larry

Jefflounsbury
07-18-2002, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the responses. I have had experience with a b&m ripper shifter in my 89 t-bird supercoupe. That shifter is great, but in that situation it was the only one available. If you guys think it is comparable to the other shifters, I will probably give that a try. Thanks

redsnake99
07-19-2002, 08:07 AM
The Steeda Tri-ax was my first mod on my 99 Cobra. It was installed at one of our SCMC events, the Autofair in Charlotte by John Pearson (thanks again, John).

Great shifter, never missed a shift yet. Everyday driver, open track car, Blue Ridge Parkway cruiser, occasional drag racer.

:D

Big Daddy
07-19-2002, 08:12 AM
I went with the Steeda and I likes it!! :D :D :thumbsup:

smashedheadcat
07-19-2002, 06:02 PM
I've only driven 2 cobras with aftermarket shifters. One was a PRO-5.0 and the other was the B&M ripper shifter. To me, they felt about the same. The ripper shifter was a little shorter, and a bit notchier but still great. I put a hurst short throw shifter on my old 91 Gt. It was by far the shortest throw out of any aftermarket shifter i've ever rowed. It wasn't the best though. I'm going to go with the Steeda Tri-ax on my cobra. I guess just cuz everyone else has it, and there's no reason why i shouldn't give it a try.

Mr. Ed
07-23-2002, 10:39 PM
Wilbur just looooves his Steeda Tri-Ax! Definitely worth my money!:thumbsup: :D