PDA

View Full Version : fix for 1999 HP deficit?

99Cobra
07-18-2002, 10:36 PM
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 99 Cobra and I was reading some articles on the internet saying the 99 Cobra had some horsepower claim issues. I also read many of the Cobra owners on this website refer to this as "pre-fix" and "post-fix", however, I still can not actually find what the problem is.

I am sorry for the painfully redundant question, but I already tried searching the forums with no luck.

Thanks in advance.

sn8kbit
07-18-2002, 10:50 PM
best thing to do is run it by a ford dealer, have them run the VIN number to see if it's been done.

the "fix" is basically a new cat-back, lower intake manifold, and a reburn on the computer. they're supposed to put a sticker under the hood to show it's had the "fix", but when the did mine, i didn't get a sticker.

also, have them run the VIN to see if the major recalls have been done:
e-brake handle
rear knuckle
tensioner cover

99Cobra
07-18-2002, 11:10 PM
Hey man, thanks for the info!

Will Ford still look at it even though it is out of warranty?

Can they still fix it even though it is out of warranty?

Is there a specific VIN cut off in which they were fixed? For example, VIN produced after 180250 automatically are fixed??

Last question, how can I find out what "number" it is?

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

NO 5 OH
07-19-2002, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by 99Cobra
Will Ford still look at it even though it is out of warranty?

Can they still fix it even though it is out of warranty?

Is there a specific VIN cut off in which they were fixed? For example, VIN produced after 180250 automatically are fixed??

Last question, how can I find out what "number" it is?

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

1) and 2) Ford will look at the car, and fix it even if the warranty has expired. A recall has nothing to do with warranty claims... as usually a recall is issued when a company finds out there's a specific problem with something after the product has wound up in the field.

3) All 99 Cobra's were recalled, but some people dynoed cars that were late build cars and found them to be putting down the right hp. Some people had their cars dynoed before and after the fix was done and really didn't pick up horsepower like they thought they should. Best thing to do in this case is if it hasn't been fixed then take it to a dyno and see what it puts to the gound. If it puts down 270 or so to the wheels and it hasn't been fixed, I'd leave it as is.

4) Call 1-800 FORD SVT and have your VIN ready to give them. They'll tell you when it was built and what number it is. Also, if you send them proof of ownership of the car they'll send you a Certificate of Authenticity if you don't have one already.

99Cobra
07-19-2002, 03:26 PM
Thanks again for everyones input.

I found out the car was in fact fixed on March 14, 2000 at Don Reed Ford in Maitland Florida.

It is also #3047 of 4040 and Ford SVT is going to be sending a Certificate of Authenticity after I fax them a registration.

Thanks again for the help!