PDA

View Full Version : check engine light help

Viperone
07-19-2002, 11:56 AM
I need a bit of help on a check engine light code. As you see in profile I have the Bassani high flow cats with "X" and the FRPP dual mode mufflers. I do not have the MIL's. I have been getting the check engine light lately and am pretty sure it is from the 02 sensors. Auto Zone just used the OBD II thing and it read "P0420" which they said indicates "catalyst system efficiency below threshhold" bank 1. Is this the 02 sensors because of the higher flow rate of the aftermarket exhaust or something different? Thanks for any help.

cobrabitn
07-19-2002, 12:47 PM
Odds are, that is your problem if you don't have MIL's. :(

1-QIK-SNK
07-21-2002, 07:08 PM
I just had to replace a o2 sensor the orhter week because of a check engine light. Can't rember the code but will look and get back with ya.

Viperone
07-22-2002, 02:39 AM
Thanks alot. I have reset it twice now. The first time it popped back up in a few days, this time, so far, it is not popping back up. It would help if I knew exactly what the code really means.

1-QIK-SNK
07-22-2002, 09:20 AM
I sure that bank 1 is one of the upper(closest to the motor) o2 sensor's. When mine was comming on I would have it turned off and with in a few miles right back on. I finally had time and took it to a good freind of mine with a scanner thing and checked everything out and it was the left upper bank o2 sensor. Mine was reading higher voltage on the one that was bad. Take it to a good shop or if you know of some one that has a scanner and check the voltage reading's.

I don't think that it should trigger your light from a from a high flow cats. I have a bassani x pipe w/ cats on mine(no mils) and have only had the one problem with the left upper bank o2 sensor in almost 20000 miles I changed it about 1 month ago.

When they checked mine they got a code and had to go and look up the code on the computer and get the a code from the computer to tell you wich o2 sensor is bad and located. I bet one of your upper 2 sensors is going out. Here is what the code was after it was looked up on the computer.
HO2S 21 wich is the left upper bank
HO2S 11 which is the right upper bank

I am betting one of you o2 's is bad.
How many miles are on your car? They say the sensors or really only good for 30000 miles. I dont know. Let me know what happens.

Viperone
07-22-2002, 06:50 PM
Only about 8,000 miles on it so it should not be going out this early....

Mr. Ed
07-22-2002, 09:52 PM
I lived with that for 6 months from time of installation. Made me CRAZY!!!!!!!:eek: :mad: Especially at night with the interior all lit up from that infernal light. Great for map reading! Ha! I had MIL's installed. Did not help the problem. Had ALL 02 sensors replaced at one time or another. Didn't help! I finally got smart and trashed the Bassani X-Cat for a MAC O/R pipe. Light went out IMMEDIATELY! HAS NOT come back ON to date!:thumbsup: MIL's still installed. The sound is "LOUD & Obnoxious" which translates to "beautiful" music to my ears. Been trying to get this sound for nearly a year. The Bassani did not provide it as advertised. Too quiet! I asked our YahooGroups forum about this and one of MANY replies that stuck with me was and I quote: "Bassani makes "crappy" Cats thereby triggering the check-engine light." True or false, I'm inclined to believe it. :D

1-QIK-SNK
07-23-2002, 09:45 AM
Thats weird. I have never had any trouble what so ever with my cats on my bassani x-pipe. I bought them used off of a guy with about 2000 miles. So the cats now have about 22000 - -23000 on them. I have hit them a few time also bottoming out over things. Steeda claims that you gain low end torque from a bassani x-pipe with cats.

cobragb
07-23-2002, 09:59 AM
P0420 is typical with Bassani X-Pipes. You need MIL Eliminators. The one that is causing the problem is the passenger side, but put both in. You can buy them at most Mustang mail order sites.

1-QIK-SNK
07-23-2002, 10:57 AM
I hope I never have that problem. If I have a proble that I have to buy mil's the cats will be coming off. :-)

Viperone
07-26-2002, 12:37 PM
thanks for the replies everybody. I think the sound level is just about right with my exhaust setup now. The light has not come back on for a week or more now. Wierd as it sounds I think running the airconditioning may have something to do when it trips but who knows.....Computers can be a neat thing but then sometimes................

Viperone
07-26-2002, 07:17 PM
Now I'm whinning just to hear myself. No sooner do I talk about "THE LIGHT" and it comes on! And I have been frying with no airconditioning just to see if that could be it. Well the air is on high and so is the d... light! I do think it is the Bassani cats........OH wellllll

Mr. Ed
07-26-2002, 09:26 PM
There are plenty of experts out there wth a whole lot more knowledge about these exhaust systems, but after hearing this about another '01, I really am believing that Bassani X-Cats aren't compatible with this model year.

Big Daddy
07-26-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by elbcar
There are plenty of experts out there wth a whole lot more knowledge about these exhaust systems, but after hearing this about another '01, I really am believing that Bassani X-Cats aren't compatible with this model year.

Ed guess what I run??? :D :D And guess what I've never had a problem with....! :D :D :D ;) Could be something tricky about the install butt mine have never given me a minutes problem...:D :nope: :nope:

schechter
08-14-2002, 07:13 PM
Anyone know the implication (beyond the irritation of the light being on) of just ignoring the check engine light -- the code reads O2 sensor (the seemingly usual result of a Bassani X-pipes)? Thanks.

cobrabitn
08-15-2002, 10:51 AM
Lose the Bassanni X and you lose the light! ;)

Big Daddy
08-15-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by cobrabitn
Lose the Bassanni X and you lose the light! ;)

I've been running Bassanni X with cats and catbacks since 1800 miles on my '01 and I've never had a problem (almost 16K now). Now I did have mine installed at Kenny Brown's shop and didn't do it myself. Maybe the installation is the problem and not the parts! :D ;) ;)

schechter
08-17-2002, 10:17 AM
What I was trying to ask is whether any damage is done by just ignoring the check engine light, if the cause is the Bassani X pipe (ie., code reads O2 sensors).

cobragb
08-20-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by schechter
What I was trying to ask is whether any damage is done by just ignoring the check engine light, if the cause is the Bassani X pipe (ie., code reads O2 sensors).

No damage will be done as long as the Check engine light doesn't drive you crazy!

If I were you, I would just order some MIL eliminators, plug them in, and be done with it. Then you will get a light when something else fails.

willyumm
08-22-2002, 02:05 PM
As long as the light isn't blinking, nothing is going wrong with the car. I was told that Bassani has had a problem with this for the last 2 years. My light came on and True Blue Perfomance reset it and it's been fine. I plan to call Bassani, since my sytem is only 8 months old. I like the system, but I hat the yellow light!

William

schechter
08-26-2002, 06:36 PM
Thanks. I am going to go w/ the MIL Eliminators. Someone on Hardcore50, by the way a really outstanding Mustang web site, told me the computer may react by protecting itself - i.e., richer and more timing retard. Seems to be happening to me, as I get some hesitation at constant gas pedal pressure, a seemingly rich condition.

cobrabitn
08-27-2002, 10:45 AM
The MIL's may not solve the problem, at least it hasn't on many 2001 models. Let us know how it turns out??

Viperone
08-29-2002, 07:14 PM
Well, I have something new! As you see I have the Bassani x/high flow cats and have been regularly bothered by the yellow light as stated in my post. About 3-4 weeks ago I put the air snorkel and stock air filter back on and reset the computer. No yellow light since then and I have done all I can imagine to get it to come back on. I can't be 100% sure but I think it may have something to do with the light. Maybe not allowing as much air to flow through the pipes/sensors....i.e. less in means less out........I will post if light haunts me again. Of cours I suppose I could just put all the stock stuff back on and the computer would be my friend again----damn new cars......

Viperone
08-30-2002, 06:09 PM
OK, scrap that idea! It wasn't the K&N cuz the light just popped back on today. I think I have it figured out. All the computers are tied together so when I post my "I have no dang light" on this forum the server lets my car know to light up the dash in yellow and ruin my day. Oh well! I thing it must be true about the Bassani cats and/or X pipe. It would appear as if MIL's are next step.

Mr. Ed
08-30-2002, 09:28 PM
Take a moment to read my thread on page 1 of this thread. MIL's WON'T help you with the Bassani X-Cat. I'm a witness! I say again: "Trash the Bassani"! Like I did! Best $500+ or whatever the cost I ever threw away! As far as that was concerned, COST was not a problem!:thumbsup: :bounce: Still isn't!:D

willyumm
08-31-2002, 12:24 AM
My stupid light came on today. I am ordering some Eradispeed+ rotors next week, so I guess I will order the eliminators too. I must admit, I like the sound and performance of my Bassani system. The sensor on the passenger side is the problem (well, I think Bassani is the problem). I may have to make a change with the X-pipe. THIS CAR IS A MONEY PIT!

William

schechter
09-02-2002, 08:28 PM
New plan. The folks at Springfield Motorsports, an all Mustang shop, are going to turn off the sensors at the chip (the Superchip that comes with the Vortech SC). Let you know how it turns out.