PDA

View Full Version : exhaust

99Cobra
07-21-2002, 05:03 PM
Hello everyone,

I have had several 5.0 Mustangs in the past and have always used the Ford Motorsports off-road exhaust H pipes with Flowmaster mufflers. However, now I have a 1999 and I have not kept up with technology too well. What exhaust options should I go with???

The ones I have seen are the following:

Bassani w/cats and borla cat backs

Flowmaster?

I read somewhere that the Cobra R actually comes with the Bassani X pipe. Do they provide better horse power in the street trim than others?

Also, what about headers? Does anyone use full length headers for the cobra 4.6L or are they still only shorty style headers?

Id like to figure out what are the most common and worthwhile bolt-ons.

Thanks in advance...

Ken 01-Cobra
07-21-2002, 05:17 PM
If you would like to see what a Bassani does for a fairly tame 2001 engine (real close to the 99) visit my site in my sig. I have the dyno charts for each mod. You'll note that the Bassani didn't do much by itself at peak, but did help smooth out the upper RPM curve and open up the band a bit. After adding the 2.5" Flowmaster, the curve was much smoother at higher RPMs and the HP/Torque gains weren't bad at all at 6800 RPM. (Somtimes you just can't look at only peak)

As for exhaust, I got the Flowmaster because I still like the way it sounds over the others. They now have stainless tips, so they don't look all that bad, and you can replace them twice for what one Bassani or Borla costs.

99Cobra
07-21-2002, 06:17 PM
Yes, I was looking at your website, very nice.

So you like the Bassani but prefer it with Flowmaster cat back? Flowmaster is cool, Im just not familiar with how they sound on a 4.6L.

How much was your total cost for the exhaust? (x pipe and cat back sys)

According to the dyno sheets the C&L and the exhaust gives you the biggest gains. True?

Ken 01-Cobra
07-21-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by 99Cobra
Yes, I was looking at your website, very nice.

So you like the Bassani but prefer it with Flowmaster cat back? Flowmaster is cool, Im just not familiar with how they sound on a 4.6L.

How much was your total cost for the exhaust? (x pipe and cat back sys)

According to the dyno sheets the C&L and the exhaust gives you the biggest gains. True?

Thanks! I figured it would be nice to have some quantifiable data on some of this stuff. If you believe everything you read, every bolt on is worth about double the HP I actually got from them.

Where are you located? I've let a couple of folks hear them, and so far everyone that has heard them has decided that was the way they were going. ;)

The Bassani was something like $440 (it has cats) and the Flowmaster catback was $319 delivered.

The C&L was definitely the best bang for the buck for HP. It didn't do much for the torque at all. The catbacks probably would not have produced the numbers they did if the Bassani had not already been in place. e.g. if the car couldn't already flow more at the higher rpm's. The car had Flowmaster Delta Flows on the stock pipes when it was dyno'ed with the Bassani, so you can see what the 2.5" vs. 2.25" pipes did.

The chip produced almost as much HP as the exhaust, and extended the power range, and didn't cost near as much as the exhaust system. Without the exhaust system, I don't think you would see the same gains from the chip though.

98Cobretti
07-21-2002, 09:35 PM
I agree, I have the bassani X pipe and the flowmasters welded in, and I love it, I used to have the bassani x and magnaflow mufflers and I didn't care for it at all. I just love the sound of flows, and with the X pipe it sounds a little more exotic in the upper rpm's.

tcrews
07-22-2002, 09:27 AM
Becareful when working with offroad pipes, they produce an entirely different tone depending on the mufflers you use.

Catted pipes (H or X) work well with just about any muffler type and you get most of your tone from the mufflers....so choose something you like the sound of.

Offroad pipes are a little different in that you have to match pipe 'type' to muffler 'type'. Offroad X users should go with a straight through muffler design (Bassani, Borla, etc..). Offroad H users should stick with the chambered style mufflers (Flowmaster, stock, etc....).

I've used Bassani catted X with stock catback and with the Bassani cat-back. Sounds great.

I've used BBK offroad H with Bassani cat-back...sounded like a truck with glasspacks....absolutely horrible.

Currently running a Bassani offroad X pipe with the Bassani cat-back....sounds FANTASTIC.

Shorty and longtubes are availabe.....shortys are cheaper and work with the stock exhaust system.

Longtubes are a little more pricey and require you to swap in a shorty H or X pipe. They make more low-end/mid-range power than the shorty headers do.

The biggest downfall to longtubes is that they require the removal of one side whenever you need to pull the tranny or clutch.