PDA

View Full Version : Vortech Pulley ?

98BlckCobraVert
07-28-2002, 09:43 PM
Right now I have the standard 3.60 that came with the kit. It is suppose to give 6-8 of boost. I see around 7 most of the time. I have the chip vortech supplied and it seems to make my Cobra run rich. Will I be able to switch to the 3.12 pulley (10-12 lbs) and still be alright without a dyno tune since the car is already running rich anyways? Also can anyone recommend a better belt than the one Vortech sent. My belts seems to slip way to much.

smashedheadcat
07-28-2002, 10:02 PM
Switching to a smaller pulley could end up being a $6000 mistake............

98BlckCobraVert
07-28-2002, 10:08 PM
Speaking from experience are we? Now that you have my attention tell me why it would be a mistake and what I might need to do to make it safe. By the way are you still flying or are you out now. I used to be a flight engineer on 130's to. Do you have your Cobra back running again?

smashedheadcat
07-28-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by 98BlckCobraVert
Speaking from experience are we? Now that you have my attention tell me why it would be a mistake and what I might need to do to make it safe. By the way are you still flying or are you out now. I used to be a flight engineer on 130's to. Do you have your Cobra back running again?

Well, i guess you could say i'm speaking from expirience, but not really. Yes, my motor did bite the big one, but it wasn't from a smaller pulley. Alright, why it would be a mistake: Avoiding a "lean" condition is the best protection from detonation. So, fuel is important. It is very important. Unlike the '130's...... more air isn't always good. If you have the fuel system to support more boost, then you'll be okay. Vortech's chip is set to run rich for a reason. That's how they stay in business. They keep it rich to prevent detonation. If i was to cram more boost into the factory short block, then i'd make sure my fuel system was up to par.

smashedheadcat
07-28-2002, 10:21 PM
Okay, moving along....... Tom Crews has taught me more than the majority of what i know about boosted cobras. He's recommended time and time again......... 36 lb injectors, MAF with the calibration for the injectors/supercharger curve...... 6:1 FMU recal disc and a dyno tune. Also, if memory serves me right, the vortech kit for the 98 cobras comes with the 190lph inline fuel pump instead of the 255lph used in the 96's-97's. I guess they used the smaller pump in the 98's cuz of the very "loud" T-rex 255.

98BlckCobraVert
07-28-2002, 10:39 PM
Makes sense to me. I will upgrade my fuel system and injector size with MAF before I try to get anymore boost. What belt are you running with your blower? A buddy of mine has told me gator belts work well, but I have not found any on the net.......

smashedheadcat
07-28-2002, 10:54 PM
Well, i got about 50 miles out of my cobra before i parked it for a rebuild. i've still got the belt that came with the kit........... no problems with it so far. I've never researched anything about other belts........ sorry.

blown92gt
07-28-2002, 11:17 PM
Vortech sells some stuff to stick on your belt to help with slip but it tends to be a little messy. Also make sure your belt is tight you shouldn't have any or much slip with that big of blower pulley unless your belt is hard and cracked. I've tried gatorback , and gates belts and the gates belt worked better for me. Napa sells gates belts. Also you may try running a bigger crank pulley instead of changing the blower pulley so you have more belt to the surface area. Also anytime you add boost you need to have your car checked for a lean condition if you cannot do it yourself. If your going to be in the hotrod scene for a while I would invest in getting a wideband 02. They are a little costly but will help greatly on tuning and help you not to blow your car up which will save thousands. Also I have heard that you can sand blast your blower pulley to ruffen it up some to help it grip on the belt. I have not tried doing this but it sounds like it might work. I've went through the belt slippen problem myself and decided to just run cog pulleys.

tcrews
07-29-2002, 11:47 AM
You're making the power most people make with your setup...around 400rwhp and 330+ rwtq with just the blower and an H or X pipe. As for your belt slipping, that's extremely rare on a stock kit, I'm running 14 psi with no slippage. You didn't get anything on the belt (anti-freeze, oil, etc...) at some point? The anti-freeze will make the belt hard and slippery....

Since you are running the 3.60 pulley the next size down would be the 3.33 pulley, this would put you around 10+ psi. What I would suggest is to add a powerpipe like the Anderson Ford Motorsports one. This will increase your boost from 1-2 psi without having to spin the blower any faster. And it won't void the Vortech 3-year warranty either :)

If you are still running the stock 24lbs injectors, stock intank pump and Vortech t-rex I wouldn't add anymore boost. A proper dyno-tune can lean you out enough to eliminate the "too rich" condition and you'll gain some power there as well. I don't like running too rich but I'd definitely run rich before running lean!!!

If you do go for tune try to hit 11.9:1 A/F on the wideband. Once you get off the dyno rollers and hit the street the extra load from actually moving the car (vs. spining the dyno rollers) will move your A/F up a bit (typically .5 so 11.9:1 can become 12.4:1).

Good luck!