PDA

View Full Version : All '99 & '01 Cobra Owners Please Enter

Tim Lester
07-29-2002, 12:14 AM
I have a problem. Since my drag radials have been wearing down they have been hooking better. My problem is when I get on it and I go to upshift from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, and 3rd to 4th the car will lay down, even with traction control off!? When I release the throttle all the way and then I get back on it, it precedes to go. Tonight I put on my street tires and it does the same thing? Whats the deal? I'm not hitting the fuel cut-off mark. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tim

cobrabitn
07-29-2002, 08:57 AM
Maybe Tom can answer that one, you got me on it???

tcrews
07-29-2002, 10:36 AM
Are the rpms dropping or do they climb but the car feels like it's slowing?

Since the wheels have been hooking better I wonder if you've got some clutch slippage on the shifts and when you let off and get back on it's had a chance to grab properly.

Can you rev the car in neutral without this problem (stomp the pedal and revs immediately climb or stomp the pedal and it hesitates then climbs) ?

Tim Lester
07-29-2002, 01:32 PM
The Rs do drop to about 5000,and when I keep my foot to the floor the car keeps slowing down until I take my foot off the gas pedal, then back to the floor it goes again. this is in every gear.I can rev the car in neutral wth no problem.

Thanks Tim.

Ken 01-Cobra
07-29-2002, 03:24 PM
If you lift out of the gas just a bit when you shift, do you get the same issue?

The reason I ask is I was told that with the '01's it was better to lift slightly on the shift than to do a full power shift as the computer has a wierdness in it to protect it under WOT shifts other than the rev limiter. I don't know if this is true or not, but you might try it by just lifting a tad on the shift and seeing if it solves the problem.

Tim Lester
08-07-2002, 03:33 AM
Well I put my stock air setup back on with the street tires and it did'nt bog. Today I put my drag radials on and my problem is solved. No bog! My air intake setup when I had the bog consists of a 4 inch rubber elbow coming off the throttle body to a 4 inch long and 4 inch diameter PVC tube, to a 4 to 3 inch rubber reducer tube, then to the stock mass air and into a WMS CAI.

My theory on why the bogging stopped is that the rubber, over time got soft and would collapse every time I would shift, that once I get back onto the gas so fast to where it would suck hard and collapse, choking the engine of air. Then once I let off the throttle the rubber tube would go back into shape. This is just me $0.02
TIM.

willyumm
08-22-2002, 01:58 PM
The same thing happened to me at the track. I had the Densecharger system on my car. The KB strut tower was hot, causing the rubber pipe to suck in under hard acceleration. That would cut off the air and the engine would bog. This happened on the track and on the street. I put the BBK system on and all is well. Densecharger did send me a couple of pipes to try, but I didn't want to "rig" up something, just to make it work. If you don't have a strut tower brace, the system is fine.

William

wbpo
10-17-2002, 10:27 AM
I don't know if this is your problem, but I read about a similar issue on another board. The issue was that the stock fuel pump would not keep up with the intake modifications that had been made. The solution was a higher rate fuel pump with the stock pressure valve. That way the pressure would remain the same but the increased fuel required due to the increased air delivery would be maintained better.

Just a thought.

willyumm
10-17-2002, 10:39 AM
That sounds like that could be happening, but my strut tower was pressing on the tube causing it to buckle. We put it on the dyno and watched it suck the pipe in.

William

wbpo
10-17-2002, 06:25 PM
That sucks! No really. That really really sucks!

willyumm
10-17-2002, 06:34 PM
:D