PDA

View Full Version : Tranny problems with 01 Cobra

blown92gt
07-30-2002, 01:49 AM
Has anyone had problems with their tranny's, I had my third gear start grinding just out the blue ( had not gotten on the car in a week) so I took it in. I get it back and they put a new third and syncro, my wife picked up the car and it started grinding in second as soon as she drove off the parking lot of the dealership. So we took it back and they replaced second and the syncro and it still grinded, so they took it back a part and replaced everything again and put in another shift fork. Still grinded!!!! So they ordered a brand new tranny for us. Was wondering if anyone else has had problems with their cars.
Thanks

smashedheadcat
07-30-2002, 01:55 AM
I guess you could've tried "double clutching" every time you shifted into the "grinding" gear. Just go.... then push in the clutch, move the shifter to neutral, let out on the clutch a few inches, then push it back to the floor, and then into the "grinding" gear. Or, you can just get a new transmission cuz your car's got a warranty. Right on. :)

Mr. Ed
07-31-2002, 10:55 PM
No problems with Wilbur's Tremec and Steeda Tri-Ax to date. Wish Ford had a warranty on the rear tires, though. Only managed 16k on OEM BF Goodrich Comp T/A's. :eek: Front tires still look new. Just moved them to the rear and put 2 new "horseshoes" in their place. Tony welcomed the former front tires to their new location last Sunday on the return trip from Columbia, S.C. :eek: I guess rear tire life is proportional to how often you "stand on the loud pedal". Right Flynfink? :D:D :rotf: :thumbsup: ;)

JAYSLOSTBOYZ
08-15-2002, 11:49 AM
i've had some problems 2nd gear grinds thats from 1st - 2nd the other day my friend took my car for a ride he comes back and said he really had to slam 4th gear to get it in,i never had probs with 4th,that same night i'get in my car and start driving away shifting1st ,2nd,and then 3rd it goes in feels like there isnt a gear there,then tryed 4th same thing no feel of gears,wtf i now have 12and 5th no 3rd or 4th,i need tranny i think.please help just got car 2 months ago , its 1999 mustang cobra,40k,k+n filtercharger,bbk off road x pipe,flowmaster 2 chamber cat back,just put 4.10 gears in it,4 -cobra r wheels-2-2754017 on back g-forcebfg kdwsand 2-2454517 on front why would my tranny do this

BAD PNY
08-15-2002, 12:42 PM
If you have 1,2, and 5 but not 3 and 4 my guess is that you broke the 3-4 shift fork. I speak from experience as I have broken this already. They are aluminum and very fragile. Good luck

JAYSLOSTBOYZ
08-15-2002, 01:19 PM
how much $ to fix item,or should i buy a new tranny?

BAD PNY
08-15-2002, 03:10 PM
You can get a brand new one from D&D perfromance in Michigan. They are a $999 plus shipping. Then take yours and have it fixed because it will not be the last time you break one. I am getting a T56 when mine fails. They are alot more money though. HTH

SilverStang
08-17-2002, 12:14 PM
I'm on my 3rd tranny in my 01.

The first one shattered the 1-2 shift fork @ 400 miles. That one got "rebuilt" and lasted to 1900 miles. At that point the grinding got so bad people that rode with me thought I wasn't using the clutch. I took it in after that and the dealer put a new tranny in. This one has lasted to 9000 miles and continued to get more and more notchy. Just last week I had it in service, and the tech drained the Mercon5 fluid and put Mercon3 in. It made a world of difference in the notchy feel.
All-in-all the 3650 is a crappy tranny. My next big mod will be a T-56.

Eric

mechanic66
08-23-2002, 12:17 PM
Tranny is POS and my dealer is a loser and won't fix it. :mad:
So I'm trying to lemon law the POS and see if that gets someone's attention. 2nd & 3rd gear grind and have done so almost since day 1. At 3k they had to replace the clutch, pressure plate & throwout bearing cuz I couldn't get into 2nd 3rd or 4th under acceleration (bent fingers on the pressure plate). Only took them 3 weeks to fix it. WOOOHOOO!!! Then they promised to rebuild the transmission, kept the car for 2 and half weeks and then just replaced the fluid :rolleyes: Yeah....I hate my dealer.

flynfink
08-23-2002, 07:44 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Get a Steeda tri-ax shifter and you won't be able to do those nasty thing's to your shift fork's.

Hey Ed, almost time for my new tires.... about 22K on the Firehawks...:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

SilverStang
08-23-2002, 09:15 PM
I've had a Tri-ax since right after the first tranny emploded. While it's a nice shifter, and obviously far better than stock, it doesn't make up for a POS tranny.
I say we collectively write letters to Ford and get them to recall the 3650 and replace them with the T56. :D :D (It'll never happen, but it's fun to think about)

Eric

Mr. Ed
08-23-2002, 10:34 PM
Yeah, Jeff! I got 2 brand new "shoes" on Wilbur's front end and 2 brand new spares in the garage waiting. 22k is pretty good service compared to my 16k.:eek: I moved the OEM tires to the rear. They were in much better condition and "may" last awhile longer if I could just stay off the loud pedal.:rotf: I'm ready for the fall mountain cruise, sorta. I may get a brake job next month and replace the serpentine belt. I think Wilbur needs both. :thumbsup: :D