PDA

View Full Version : Time for 01 Cobra enhancements

Hypnoziz
08-07-2002, 10:25 PM
I have a 2001 Cobra and I want to begin a series of upgrades and I'm wondering what I should do, as well as, what I should do first. I enjoy Autocross more than Drag, but I do plan on seeing what it can do in the 1/4 at the local track after upgrading, also getting it hooked up to a Dyno to see what it's got. I should mention that this is my everyday driver (except when it snows), but it doesn't much matter.

My plan is to start with Intake & Exhaust. I'm thinking Bissani X-pipe, cause I like LOUD and poppy - however I also enjoy HP increase and I'm not sure if the flowmaster or Mac is better.

I know I need a better intake, but I'm not sure which one is best.

Sports Chip? What kind? Should I wait till upgrades are finished before installing chip? Has anyone heard of high allititude issues I should watch out for (mile high city).

How about Springs? ,Struts/Shocks?, Front/Rear Strut Tower Sway Bar?, Shifter?, Gears (3:73 or 4:10 - I like my top speed)? Sway Bars?, Cross Bars?

How low will the springs drop the body? I'm thinking of installing a Body kit also.

Also planning on going to Cobra R 18"/9.5" wheels (maybe 10.5"?) Any problems with Rubbing? Specially with the drop from the springs?

I want to do most of the work myself and my local pro shop is a rip off. So does anyone know of online or mail order shops to buy the parts I need. Post a list of other things I should plan on, ignition coil, plugs, wires, Pulley, Bushings? Any advise is appreciated.

SuperCharger or Nitro.... Maybe later.

Thanks
Hypnoziz :cool:

Ken 01-Cobra
08-08-2002, 09:39 AM
Some dyno charts of various bolt ons on my '01 are available on my site. Just click the link in the sig if you care to see them. :thumbsup: :D

Hypnoziz
08-08-2002, 07:40 PM
Nice!. How is the sound with the Bassani X-Pipe and Flowmaster?

How does that 13.3 sec 1/4 mile feel?

Have you done any work to the intake?

Thanks.
Hypnoziz

Ken 01-Cobra
08-08-2002, 11:07 PM
Nice!. How is the sound with the Bassani X-Pipe and Flowmaster
I went on a cruise through the mountains of North Georgia with a number of Lightnings two weekends ago, and they all had very nice things to say about the sound. It IS loud at higher RPM, but then, I like that. :thumbsup: They all said they could tell where I was by listening to the sound bouncing off the hills. :D

How does that 13.3 sec 1/4 mile feel?
I am hoping it will feel slow when I get back to the track with the drag radials and roll control! ;)

Have you done any work to the intake?
Nope...other than the bolt on's shown on the site, the Snake is stock. :cool: :D

Mr. Ed
08-11-2002, 09:29 PM
You can do what you like and I'm NOT trying to start a CONTROVERSY here re Bassani X-pipes, but the Bassani X-Cat I had kept the check-engine light on from day-one lasting 6 months. Hated it!:mad:It wasn't any louder than the stock H-pipe. I had mil-eliminators installed also. Didn't help. All 02 sensors replaced. Didn't help. In my opinion, the MAC off-road H-pipe is the way to go if your State doesn't require cats. The sound is what I've been trying to obtain since I bought the car. Loud & obnoxious. Just ask my neighbors.:eek::thumbsup: I am running stock mufflers, also. Again, I'm sure there are other brands everyone swears by, but I personally believe that the Bassani X-Cat is incompatible with the '01. It was perhaps the worst $500+ I ever trashed! :thumbsup::eek:

Ken 01-Cobra
08-12-2002, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I've heard of others that have had problems, but I can report that since I had the Bassani put on in May, I've had 0 problems with it. (knock, knock) No check engine lights, no problems whatsoever. Mine has the cats and goes into the American Thunder Flowmaster catback. I've also gotten a lot of comments about how good she sounds, and I've heard her with others hitting the gas and like the sound a lot. So, I guess it is a personal thing, and the best thing to do is listen to a number of different combinations and find the one YOU like best. :thumbsup: I am quite happy with the setup I've settled on.

slick4_6
08-12-2002, 10:31 PM
Go to www.mustangexhaust.com