PDA

View Full Version : Chip Time!

Snake98
08-09-2002, 07:03 PM
well tomorrow the O/R H-pipe is getting installed and i have given some thought to how i can eliminate the check engine light. I will most likely be going the performance chip route instead of mil-eliminators because i have heard of them failing before and a "little" more performance wouldnt hurt neither....so with that in mind does anyone have a particular chip they can recommend? Does the chip have to be specially programmed to bypass the 02's? thanks. -Rob

tcrews
08-10-2002, 11:25 AM
Go with a JMS Autologic chip. I don't know of anyone succesfully disabling the rear O2's with just a chip but you can give it a try. At least talk to JMS and see if they can do it.

Snake98
08-10-2002, 11:44 AM
hmmm....i could have sworn i read somewhere that it is possible to eliminate the light with a chip, but maybe not.....if anyone has the answer please tell. I may just have to get the MIL's.

Nazman
08-14-2002, 12:48 PM
Yes,

JMS is fully capable of doing so. They can also up your RPM limiter as well...not many people or tuner are capable of doing so.

Plus, JMS has a "flip" chip with 3 programs and one addtional program for test.

I gained about 22 RWHP with my JMS chip and 12RWHP beteween program 1-3!!

For $320.00 you can not beat it!

Just my .02

Naz

tgentry
08-15-2002, 10:32 AM
With that flip chip, how do you switch between programs. I'm thinking of having one done and making one program have a really low rev limit in case my daughter ever drives it. Kind of like the ZR-1's "valet mode".

Big Daddy
08-15-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by tgentry
With that flip chip, how do you switch between programs. I'm thinking of having one done and making one program have a really low rev limit in case my daughter ever drives it. Kind of like the ZR-1's "valet mode".

True Blue is doing a four program chip. Setting one is a valet mode!! :D ;) RPM's limited to 2500! :D ;) Number two program will be street/track, number three will be strip (max RPM's and RWHP) and number four will be for testing. :D The way TBP is going to set mine up is the dip switches will be in my glove box. He said he could also put a switch on my dash but I don't want it where people can see it. ;) ;)

tgentry
08-15-2002, 01:53 PM
Sweet! That's exactly the setup I envisioned.

Nazman
08-15-2002, 08:00 PM
The Autologic from JMS is also a flip chip.

Four (4) programs:

#1: Hot Street (+3 Deg 1% Leaner)
#2: Hotter Street (+4 Deg / 1% Richer)
#3: Strip (+5 Deg 2% Leaner)
#4: Test Mode or Valet mode
From #1 to #3 program I gained about 12 RWHP

Yes, JMS can do the MIL light fix as well as the gear correction and up your RPM limiter among other things.

Naz

Mystic_Cobra
08-23-2002, 11:22 AM
This is just the thread I was looking for. My engine mods are VERY similar to Naz's 99. The place I was thinking about going does Autologic, also. I think I have about 300 rwhp now.
Naz is 320 with the chip and other mods listed?
I ALSO have a check engine light that keeps telling me I have a bad front O2. I replaced it and they came back. I'm thinking of just getting one for the other side. I have MIL eliminators. The light has been on since the Mac pipe went in.
Jimmy

tgentry
08-23-2002, 12:02 PM
Jimmy, the MIL eliminators and Mac pipe only effect the rear O2 sensors. The fronts are before the cats. Maybe you have some bad wiring going to that front sensor.

Also keep in mind that Naz's '99 came (after the HP fixes) with at least 15 more ponies than our '96's.

tcrews
08-23-2002, 03:03 PM
I'm not positive but from my understanding the only way to disable the rear O2's in a chip is to completely disable the entire ODB-II system. It might be different on the newer cars ('99 and up) but for the '96-'98 I believe this is the only way to do so.

You also can not correct for gear changes on pre '99 computers. Either an electronic corrector (abbott, speedcal) or a mechanical (SHM compensator, plastic tooth tranny gear) is required.

Spark/timing, fuel tables, rev-limits, tip-in timing retard, etc.. can all be adjusted via a chip. '98 computers have a little more functions in them that can be adjusted over the '96-'97 computers.