PDA

View Full Version : Hill Country Drive this fall?

Andy M
08-17-2002, 10:03 PM
Folks,

We need to begin planning a Hill Country Drive for this fall, before the weather gets too cold. How about some time in November?

We need to figure out the following for planning purposes:

1) when? Pick a day and stay with it. I would think a Saturday would be best, especially if we intend to spend the night in Austin (or wherever our final destination is?)

2) how long? When I did the drive with my BMW friends, we finished our drive in Austin and stayed overnight there at the Omni Hotel downtown. We could of course stay somewhere else in Austin, or wherever we choose. The Omni worked well as it was a short walk to 6th street for some Saturday evening partying!!:bounce:

3) route? I still have the map of the route we drove. The Houston crew met up with the Dallas crew and Austin crew in Austin and then we drove a circle of about 200+ miles from there.

We brought along some Talkabout (or equivalent) two way radios so we could communicate while on the drive. We left Houston around 8am on Saturday morning and drove to Austin via I-10/71 and arrived there around 10:15. We then met up with the rest of the crew and then left Austin around 11:00 or so and ate a late lunch in LLano (spelling?) at Cooper's BBQ! Yummy!! That was some great food!! Then the drive took us to Enchanted Rock and then on to Fredericksburg and then finally back to Austin. We arrived at the hotel around 6-6:30pm.

Let me know what you guys think?

cobrabitn
08-18-2002, 12:20 AM
Wish I could join you all but isn't that Omni hotel expensive? I stay at the Courtyard cause I am cheap and I earn points for a free day at the hotel. Oh well, I guess I may have to take out a loan huh?:rotf:

Josh968
08-18-2002, 03:21 AM
Sounds good to me :thumbsup:

Tyler
08-18-2002, 12:26 PM
I live in Austin and would love to meet up with the Houston "crew" for a wonderful drive ! ( If I still have my '03 Cobra , which I have for sale due to medical reasons). Sounds like a blast to me, count me in !! Tyler

Evilcartman
08-18-2002, 03:03 PM
I may be interested. Keep me posted with the date.

Andy M
08-19-2002, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by cobrabitn
Wish I could join you all but isn't that Omni hotel expensive? I stay at the Courtyard cause I am cheap and I earn points for a free day at the hotel. Oh well, I guess I may have to take out a loan huh?:rotf: We don't all have to stay at the Omni?.. There are certainly other hotels close to Downtown which are not quite to so pricey?...

The Omni just worked well because they have very nice secure underground parking and it is very close to 6th street. Since the R is kind of ..uh, let's say a "magnet"... I payed a premium to stay at the Omni for the secured parking. I think the weekend rate was around $129.00 or so?? Not too bad considering the caliber of the hotel and the area?... You could probably get a Motel 6 or equivalent though for half that?...

Andy M
08-19-2002, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Evilcartman
I may be interested. Keep me posted with the date. Hope you can join us??? By the way, congrats man on the new '03 snake!!!!:bounce: :cool:

msmap
08-19-2002, 08:54 PM
Hey Andy, that sounds cool to me. I'm in.

97CasperCobra
08-19-2002, 11:51 PM
Sounds like a plan to me. Amanda turns 21 on Nov 11th, so any time after that is AWESOME!! :thumbsup: My little bro lives in Austin so I'm sure he can spare some floor space if anyone should need it. Let's pick a date...or better yet, I'll know when tomorrow when I check my schedule. We can announce this at the show as well. Great job Andy!!:D

97CasperCobra
08-20-2002, 10:29 AM
How does the 22nd of November look for everyone?? Let me know. Thanks. I can't wait, this will be awesome!!!! :thumbsup:

Tyler
08-20-2002, 11:39 AM
Nov. 22nd sounds great to me. Tyler (Austin) 03 Cobra, white coupe, stock.

Josh968
08-20-2002, 02:08 PM
Sounds good. I'm in.

msmap
08-20-2002, 02:16 PM
Nov. 22 is good as long as I can go topless. (Let it all begin for those that must!)

Josh968
08-20-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Andy M

We brought along some Talkabout (or equivalent) two way radios so we could communicate while on the drive.

I just ran into an ad on a gun site where they are selling Motorola somethingorothers for $40, as opposed to the normal $65ish. I may get one. Anybody else. Now I just have to find the damn site again :D

Josh968
08-20-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by msmap
Nov. 22 is good as long as I can go topless. (Let it all begin for those that must!)

Sherri, I'm gonna leave that one for the dirtier-minded folks in the club. I'm a good boy :grinangel :D

97CasperCobra
08-20-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by SVTJosh

I just ran into an ad on a gun site where they are selling Motorola somethingorothers for $40, as opposed to the normal $65ish. I may get one. Anybody else. Now I just have to find the damn site again :D

Got mine at Best Buy, for think around $35 for the pair. They're Motorola Talkabouts, nothing too special on them.

cobrapace94
08-20-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by msmap

We must... Oh Sherri :thumbsup: as long as I can go topless also. Trying to get more people to go on the cruise, huh.
I would be interested in going. If somebody doesn't need 2 radios, sell the other one to somebody else.

johnbasf
08-21-2002, 06:47 PM
Hello SC region. I saw this thread and had to join in. I made the Hill Country trip many years ago on my way to LBJ's ranch. I was amazed at what they call HILLS, LOL. I lived in Texas from '63-'71 while my dad was stationed at Lackland AFB.

P.S. Good luck with the show!!!