PDA

View Full Version : looking for cams

JBejarano
08-20-2002, 11:09 PM
Looking for cams for my 99 and was wondering if any of you guys have them? If so, is it NA or power adder? What kind of gains and what cams? I was looking at SHM stage 1, 2 and Road Race. Cant decide. :( I am looking to stay NA, at least thats the plan for now. so any help anybody can give me would be much appreciated

tcrews
08-21-2002, 12:00 AM
That's a big expense so just be prepared. Four cams, removal of the engine to install, and then properly degreeing the cams in (plus re-installing the engine).

While you have the engine out and the heads off you would be wise to go ahead and have the heads ported as well. You might even want to replace the stock rods/rings/pistons with some forged ones and maybe even bump the compression ratio up some since you plan to stay NA.

I have HP regrinds in my '97 Cobra, they are power-adder ones for my blower. Gains.....not sure yet, haven't dyno'ed since the rebuild.

Another member, JC, has SHM blower cams in his '97 Cobra.

JBejarano
08-21-2002, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by tcrews
That's a big expense so just be prepared. Four cams, removal of the engine to install, and then properly degreeing the cams in (plus re-installing the engine).

While you have the engine out and the heads off you would be wise to go ahead and have the heads ported as well. You might even want to replace the stock rods/rings/pistons with some forged ones and maybe even bump the compression ratio up some since you plan to stay NA.

I have HP regrinds in my '97 Cobra, they are power-adder ones for my blower. Gains.....not sure yet, haven't dyno'ed since the rebuild.

Another member, JC, has SHM blower cams in his '97 Cobra.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I was expecting to pay a pretty penny for the install on those. Didnt think about having the heads ported at that time, sounds like a good idea though since they'll be out. As for changing to forged internals, I do plan to get, eventually (gotta save my pennies again), the stroker kit SHM has (the SHM 300), does that come with forged internals or no? Or do you think I should TRY (emphasis on try) to save up and get everything done at once? (stroker, cams, port, up the compression) That will take a lot of pennies though :eek:

tcrews
08-21-2002, 08:26 AM
The big thing being removing then reinstalling the engine it would probably be best to do everything at once. Pulling the engine to do cams, putting it all back together than later pulling the engine to do a stroker kit or head porting, etc... would be more expensive in the long run then doing it all at once.

I'm pretty sure the SHM stroker kit comes with all forged components. SHM, Houston Performance, and ModMax all have stroker kits available.

http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/
http://www.houstonperformance.com/
http://www.modmaxracing.com/

You could easily see a good 360+ rwhp with a stroker kit, ported heads and cams. With all that I'd either bump the compression and stay NA or lower the compression a bit and add some boost :)

At the minimum, if you do cams, definitely have the heads ported as well.

Hope that helps.

JBejarano
08-21-2002, 10:17 AM
Cool man, thanks! That helped a bunch! :bounce: I'll set my sights on getting everything together (stroker and cams) then getting everything done at once. If I can hold out that long! If not, I'll at least do like you suggested, cams and head porting, you know, to hold me over :D Thanks again bud :thumbsup:

sn8kbit
08-21-2002, 04:40 PM
just to throw this out there, WMS, a club sponsor, carries the modmax parts, from SS valves to cams to rings and pistons. cheaper than alot of the parts i've seen out there. plus you get the club discount thru WMS, so it'll save a little change.....

JBejarano
08-21-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by tcrews
With all that I'd either bump the compression and stay NA or lower the compression a bit and add some boost :)

At the minimum, if you do cams, definitely have the heads ported as well.

Hope that helps.

Oh yeah, speaking of upping the compression, what would you suggest I up it to?

tcrews
08-22-2002, 10:12 AM
11:1 would be as high as I'd go.....as long as you have access to at least 93octane gas. 10.5:1 might be a nice little compromise though....

JBejarano
08-22-2002, 11:39 PM
Well I got a reply email back from Strictly Performance here in Houston. My question to them was about the cost of installing cams and porting and polishing the heads. The reply? Total of four words and a phone number:
"It is expensive 713-910-0111 Richard." :eek:
Well, as I was expecting to pay a bit, but I wasnt expecting not being told an approximate price. Kinda scared to call him!:(
So now I'm thinkin, if I am gonna end up selling an arm, leg and a kidney to pay for all that, I might as well pitch in the extra cash for the FR500 heads, no? What do you guys think?

Two-Mystics
08-23-2002, 12:18 AM
Cam(s) install is no big deal. My car is NA with a few bolt-on's (tongue in cheek). I just buttoned mine up after installing re-grinds of stock cams by Crane (road-race version). I did it with the engine in the car. I will have it on the dyno just before the Northwood Shelby meet in Sept. at Road America. Cost is cheap (~$450) total.

JBejarano
08-23-2002, 12:20 AM
how did you do it with the engine in the car?? There's about no room to do anything!?!? :eek:

Two-Mystics
08-23-2002, 12:25 AM
Just lower the K-Member about 1.5 inches and the driver-side cam cover will pop right off no problem (no need to even remove the steerting shaft). As a matter of fact, I even had the head off last winter with the engine in the car). I have found over the years that the 4.6 is just as easy to work on as the 5.0.

JBejarano
08-23-2002, 12:27 AM
sweet. I would like to be able to do this stuff myself, being that I would save quite a bit of money. So when I start, dont mind me if I start buggin you with a million questions about it! (it looks like I've already started though:D )

Two-Mystics
08-23-2002, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by JBejarano
sweet. I would like to be able to do this stuff myself, being that I would save quite a bit of money. So when I start, dont mind me if I start buggin you with a million questions about it! (it looks like I've already started though:D )
No problem, I've had mine apart a few times. You can contact me off list ( tschwart@coin.org) for advise and pictures - I took lots.

JBejarano
08-23-2002, 12:37 AM
thanks bud, I will