PDA

View Full Version : Driveline slop problem...

SilverStang
08-21-2002, 08:57 PM
Any of you IRS Cobra owners want to take me for a ride, and then ride with me and tell me what you think this noise is?
I had it in for service last week for it. They tightened the "sub-frame bolts" and gave it back. Oddly enough it seemed better for a day, then got just as bad as it was before.
I can't figure out if it's the tranny (problematic to begin with), the IRS, or everything under the car.
I'd like to ride with someone who has no noises so that when the dealer pulls the "Its Normal" card I can quickly pull the "Your full of it" card. :D

Thanks,
Eric

97CasperCobra
08-21-2002, 11:10 PM
sorry I can't help ya out Eric, but good to have you on the board. Hope you can make it out to some of our meets as well as the car show. Good luck with the problem.

Andy M
08-22-2002, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by SilverStang
Any of you IRS Cobra owners want to take me for a ride, and then ride with me and tell me what you think this noise is?
I had it in for service last week for it. They tightened the "sub-frame bolts" and gave it back. Oddly enough it seemed better for a day, then got just as bad as it was before.
I can't figure out if it's the tranny (problematic to begin with), the IRS, or everything under the car.
I'd like to ride with someone who has no noises so that when the dealer pulls the "Its Normal" card I can quickly pull the "Your full of it" card. :D

Thanks,
Eric Eric,

Check the bolts on the driveshaft to ensure they are tight. Also check the large nuts which hold the rear rotors on the car. When I bought my Cobra R, I was getting some noises, and we found both of the above to be the culprit. Now, I still get some funny noises from the driveline, but I know where those are coming from?.. the Visteon clutchpack rearend engaging and disengaging at low speed/RPM.

I would also suggest getting the Paul's High Performance IRS brace to help reduce the wheel hop, if you have not already done so?

Let me/us know how it goes with your noises??

AV8R
08-22-2002, 10:59 AM
A few noises coming from the drivetrain is normal. Most probably all you are hearing is a little slack or play in the drivetrain. I think the '99's and up are subject to this.

Jason

Firme
08-22-2002, 12:58 PM
sure I'm game..

are you talking about a constant noise, vibration, or plain slop :doubt:
?

Josh968
08-22-2002, 06:57 PM
I'm available. I think the 4.30's in the back cleared a lot of the slop I had :D

cobrabitn
08-23-2002, 01:33 PM
Ouch Josh! How do you like those 4:30's? I'm just afraid of having the vibration so I haven't changed mine to 4:10's. Too scared I guess.... ho hum (sigh)

Josh968
08-23-2002, 03:10 PM
You gotta put the 4.30's. 4.10's are for p... well, anyway :D I love the gears, shoulda done it first before all the other junk. Ended up with a little vibe, nothing major. And don't let anybody tell ya it's too much for a daily driver. Doing 80 on the freeway I'm only at 3k rpm.

Don't fear the Gear!

SilverStang
08-23-2002, 05:12 PM
I've got 4:30's. I was thinking that maybe when the gears went in, they didn't set the lash right.

It's not a continuous noise, it is definately slop. I've already checked the driveshaft bolts they were a little loose, but it didn't solve the problem.

Is anyone going to be out tomorrow night? If so, where? Hopefully not K-Mart... ;)

Eric

Firme
08-23-2002, 05:49 PM
I might be...

3 things you can do:

1. Re-Index driveshaft (assuming its balanced) this is for the 80mpg vibe if you have it...
2. Get some Steeda IRS bushings (these really help the slop and the CLUNK)
3. get an Aluminum driveshaft (good idea if you think your DS is not balanced, that is a great idea) for the 80mph vibe...

usually if you get gears put in by a good installer... they do everything correctly to where there is no vibe... (ahem Toni

:D )