PDA

View Full Version : Thigs to see around Charlotte, NC


robbl
08-22-2002, 08:05 PM
Hi all

Ken Burt from Atlanta suggested asking here for info on things to see around Charlotte, NC. I'm in the city in the first week of October and looking for car, history, military and whatever related things to look at close by.

Any pointers to sites would be good - thx
Rob

97whitevert
08-22-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by robbl
Hi all

Ken Burt from Atlanta suggested asking here for info on things to see around Charlotte, NC. I'm in the city in the first week of October and looking for car, history, military and whatever related things to look at close by.

Any pointers to sites would be good - thx
Rob

Hi Rob, head north on I-77, to exit 36. Mooresville has a racing museum, and several nascar shops. at top of exit turn left, then left at 2nd stoplight. I personally can't think of very much off hand, but will think, look and let you know. Charlotte guys-- Jeff, tony???

Oh-- sousth on I85 will bring you to king's Mountain, which has a National Military historic park.:thumbsup:

robbl
08-22-2002, 08:35 PM
perfect thx 97whitevert :thumbsup:

Need some NASCAR memorabilia for sure

Rob

Ken 01-Cobra
08-22-2002, 08:52 PM
This is the crowd that should be able to help you out Rob. I am sure they will do their best to make sure you know all of the local attractions. :thumbsup:

Hey folks, this guy drives a Cobra from the WRONG SIDE! (which, interestingly, is the right side ;)) Maybe we can convince Rob to take a couple of pics of his reversed Cobra. I know I would like to see one.

Whatcha think Tony? Do we have a chapter in New Zealand? ;) :D Need a volunteer to go down there and help put it together? :rotf:

97whitevert
08-22-2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by robbl
perfect thx 97whitevert :thumbsup:

Need some NASCAR memorabilia for sure

Rob


ken steered you here well!!! a good group of people in here!! when the time comes closer to you being here, we can plan a little get together....:thumbsup:

robbl
08-22-2002, 09:17 PM
feeling at home already :)

Here's what an aussie/kiwi Cobra looks like Ken.

97whitevert
08-22-2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by robbl
feeling at home already :)

Here's what an aussie/kiwi Cobra looks like Ken.

looks good rob!!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ken 01-Cobra
08-22-2002, 11:39 PM
Hey Rob...someone printed that picture backwards! ;) :D She is sweet looking though!

Do you have any of the interior? The layout is a bit strange to us left hand drivers.

robbl
08-23-2002, 01:08 AM
97whitevert - goes good too :)

Ken - interior shot, bonnet release is on the left side miles away from the driver! (and it needs a vacuum too). RHD conversion left gaps between carpet and console when they moved the air con.
Engine gets moved left an inch or so but the driver still has less width than the pax.

Ken 01-Cobra
08-23-2002, 11:17 AM
Man...it would take me a while to get used to that setup! ;) It is pretty amazing that they are able to take a straight Cobra and change it to right hand drive like that though. Pretty neat!

flynfink
08-23-2002, 12:03 PM
When you get to Charlotte, go I85 N to the Speedway exit. Turn right and go to Lowes Motor Speedway, take a lap in the Van. Lot's of goodies to buy. I run out there w/ ya but unfortunately I'll be out of town.

cobrabitn
08-23-2002, 02:27 PM
Sorry y'all,

I'm running a little behind. Robbl, There are plenty of things to do in Charlotte besides car stuff. There is an indoor karting facility, Professional Football games, plenty of bars and nightlife dancing. There is also the Charlotte Knights baseball team (not professional) and Carowinds Amusement Park. I would want to visit Discovery Place downtown and go in the Nations Bank Tower. This is the tallest building in between Atlanta, GA and Washington D.C. and overwhelms the Charlotte skyline with other great looking buildings in the skyline. The local dragstrip would be Mooresville Dragway, an 1/8 mile track. We alsoo have a convention center, Block Buster Theater, and a Coliseum. Best thing to do is get a brochure from the chamber of commerce when you first get here and look it over. The closest event we will have will be in Atlanta, GA so if you want a ride down there then you can caravan with a few of us to the cruise in for Cobras. Hope this helps out! ;)

Tony

robbl
08-23-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Ken 01-Cobra
Man...it would take me a while to get used to that setup! ;) It is pretty amazing that they are able to take a straight Cobra and change it to right hand drive like that though. Pretty neat!

Takes them 50 hours to do a conversion.

FTE Australia (http://www.ford.com.au/showroom/passenger/mustang/main.asp)

Looking for mods is hard because of some of the changes, but I'm going to look for bits and pieces while I'm in the states - wonder what I can fit in th overhead lockers?? :D

robbl
08-23-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by flynfink
When you get to Charlotte, go I85 N to the Speedway exit. Turn right and go to Lowes Motor Speedway, take a lap in the Van. Lot's of goodies to buy. I run out there w/ ya but unfortunately I'll be out of town.

Definitely going there - be good to see it all close up after watching NASCAR on tv all these years :)

robbl
08-23-2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by cobrabitn
Best thing to do is get a brochure from the chamber of commerce when you first get here and look it over. The closest event we will have will be in Atlanta, GA so if you want a ride down there then you can caravan with a few of us to the cruise in for Cobras. Hope this helps out! ;)

Tony

I've been told by a work mate that Charlotte is well worth looking around, so plan to do just that. My wife's at a conference all week so I'm doing to shopping/tourist thing :)
If you see someone wandering around taking photos of Cobras and tourist sights that'll be me :D

Rob

Ken 01-Cobra
08-23-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by robbl


Takes them 50 hours to do a conversion.

FTE Australia (http://www.ford.com.au/showroom/passenger/mustang/main.asp)

Looking for mods is hard because of some of the changes, but I'm going to look for bits and pieces while I'm in the states - wonder what I can fit in th overhead lockers?? :D

Hmmm, I wonder if a Flowmaster catback, a Bassani X-pipe and a supercharger will fit in the overhead compartment? ;) :D

robbl
08-23-2002, 08:35 PM
the challenge will be getting them thru' the metal detectors....
mmmmm supercharger - $5300US for a 5# fitted here - might have to be careful with the credit card....

Ken 01-Cobra
09-30-2002, 07:01 PM
Hey Rob...

You still coming up to the States? Have you found enough to keep you busy? :D

robbl
10-01-2002, 10:29 AM
Hi Ken

How's things?

Sure am - in New York now and flying down to Charlotte tonight. I'm planning to look round charlotte a bit tomorrow, try to get to Lowes Thurs or Friday - just winging it at the moment :)

Cheers
Rob

Ken 01-Cobra
10-01-2002, 01:22 PM
Well, welcome to the States Rob! I hope your trip to Charlotte is fun and you find some interesting things to keep you busy! I just wanted to check in and let you know I didn't forget about you being here. ;) :D Have fun...

97whitevert
10-01-2002, 02:42 PM
where are you staying here? email me there may be some of us that can get together and eat.... carlo's anyone???? :thumbsup::thumbsup:
lmilstead22@yahoo.com

robbl
10-02-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Ken 01-Cobra
Well, welcome to the States Rob! I hope your trip to Charlotte is fun and you find some interesting things to keep you busy! I just wanted to check in and let you know I didn't forget about you being here. ;) :D Have fun...

thanks Ken, appreciate it :)

robbl
10-03-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by 97whitevert
where are you staying here? email me there may be some of us that can get together and eat.... carlo's anyone???? :thumbsup::thumbsup:
lmilstead22@yahoo.com

ya get the email? having email problems i think....

anyways - need to know where's good to eat friday and saturday - recommendations anyone :D

97whitevert
10-04-2002, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by robbl
ya get the email? having email problems i think....

anyways - need to know where's good to eat friday and saturday - recommendations anyone :D

hey yup i got it. but i trreally don't know too many places in charlotte, especially how to get there (i was have to get directions!!) tony, Jeff, any ideas here??????

Ken 01-Cobra
10-10-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by robbl
thanks Ken, appreciate it :)
So, how was the trip and the trip back? Did they allow all of the car parts on the plane? ;) :D

robbl
10-10-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Ken 01-Cobra
So, how was the trip and the trip back? Did they allow all of the car parts on the plane? ;) :D

The trip back was long, 26 hours travel :(
The wife had added 45lb to the luggage, so no parts - tragic.

Charlotte and area were excellent - saw around the city (museums, sights, shopping, food....) and got a car and saw Lowes and a few of the race shops then did another day and a half driving out in the countryside seeing more sights :thumbsup:

Definitely NC is worth a return visit.

Cheers
Rob

Ken 01-Cobra
10-10-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by robbl
The trip back was long, 26 hours travel :(
The wife had added 45lb to the luggage, so no parts - tragic.

Charlotte and area were excellent - saw around the city (museums, sights, shopping, food....) and got a car and saw Lowes and a few of the race shops then did another day and a half driving out in the countryside seeing more sights :thumbsup:

Definitely NC is worth a return visit.

Cheers
Rob
Whew! 26 hours! Is that an international dateline thing, or is that actual flight time? I bet you were beat when you got home!

Heheh...you should have explained the priority of car parts over "other" luggage! ;)

I'm glad you enjoyed Charlotte. If you ever get to Atlanta, drop me a line and I will take ya'll out and show you the town. Not quite as much "race stuff" around here, but enough to keep you bust for a day or two. :D

Yeah, NC is nice. Did you get up 77 into the mountains? It is beautiful up there!

robbl
10-10-2002, 06:39 PM
26 hours from boarding, stops at Atlanta and LA - 2 days recovering :)

No, we didn't make it that far unfortunately. Wandered around the lakes and did a big circle around Charlotte. The next plan will be to look at Atlanta to the coast and south I think - gotta start saving again now.

Ken 01-Cobra
10-10-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by robbl
26 hours from boarding, stops at Atlanta and LA - 2 days recovering :)
Wow! I bet! That is a heck of a lot of time to spend on airplanes! I DO hope that at least it wasn't a full flight and you could stretch out some.

No, we didn't make it that far unfortunately. Wandered around the lakes and did a big circle around Charlotte. The next plan will be to look at Atlanta to the coast and south I think - gotta start saving again now.
Well, like I said, if you head this way let me know. I'll make sure to make some time to show you guys around! Maybe a day trip up through the mountains of Georgia, and some of the "interesting" eating establishments around here. Also, there are a few micro-breweries around here if you like beer and ale, and I haven't met to many people from down under that don't. ;) Of course, I would have to get one of the kids to chauffeur so we could sample all of their various wares. :D