PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer Compensation W/4:10

nemo12
08-29-2002, 09:39 PM
HI, I AM A NEW MEMBER, I HAVE A 1997 COBRA WITH 4:10'S AND AM LOOKING FOR THE BEST WAY TO CORRECT THE SPEEDO, ANY INPUT?

THANKS, RON

johnbasf
08-29-2002, 09:58 PM
With a chip or a speed comp. Welcome
:thumbsup:

tcrews
08-29-2002, 10:12 PM
I like the Abbott ERA, it can correct for just about any gear/rear-tire combination you can do.

It's about $120 or so....and a pretty easy install.

You can't fix it with a chip on a '97 model car so either an electronic compensator like the Abbott or a mechanical compensator like one from Sean Hyland (about the same price).

nemo12
08-30-2002, 02:30 AM
The car came with the sean hyland mechanical compensator but it keeps falling apart at the splined part near where it goes into the trans .Think i fixed
with some yankee ingenuity , but it does not give me a warm , fuzzy feeling.
I called sean hyland and was told they do not sell that anymore and they suggested I contact Dallas Mustang and buy their black box compensator
for under 100.00. Tcrews has suggested a Abbott ERA , is this the same ?
Maybe better? Thank you for answering my original question so fast.

thanks again, ron

P.S. how do you post a picture of your car?

cobrabitn
08-30-2002, 09:24 AM
Nemo,

I agree with Tom in getting a chip or the abbott.

To post a pic of your car, just hit the "browse" button before you hit the submit button and it will let you select a picture. Also, you have to hit the "post reply" button in the lower right hand corner instead of using the reply box at the bottom of this page and that will put you where you need to be. HTH

tcrews
08-30-2002, 12:41 PM
On the '96-'98 model cars, you can NOT fix the speedometer with a chip. Since SHM isn't doing the mechanical units anymore it's either the Dallas Mustang Speedcal or the Abbott ERA.

The Abbott and the Speedcal are very similar but I've heard of more people having problems with the Speedcal then I have with the Abbott.

Give Ron Short an email and he can hook you up with the Abbott for $110.00 shipped.

Ron Short - maico@flash.net

I've bought so much stuff through him with zero problems...so you can feel comfortable dealing with him.

nemo12
08-30-2002, 05:27 PM
THANKS TOM, I HAVE SENT RON SHORT A E MAIL ABOUT THE ABBOTT ERA, I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH. THIS IS A GREAT WEB SITE FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME
TO BE ABLE TO TAP INTO ALL THIS KNOWLEDGE IS GREAT.

THANKS, AGAIN RON (NEMO12)