PDA

View Full Version : LMS(Lowes Motor Speedway)

johnbasf
08-31-2002, 08:20 PM
Man what a rush!!!!!! It rained HARD all day but I went out anyway. The track is awesome. Going through those high banks was a rush. I hit 90mph one time. This was a good warmup for next weekend with NASA. Looking forward to seeing you guys next weekend. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
08-31-2002, 11:26 PM
I saw you there John, we were at the gate that the ambulance was at. Rained all day and there is no way I would have done that. High banks at 90 mph and having someone crash into me isn't worth the $150.00. Glad you had a good time though!:doubt:

Black Snake
09-01-2002, 12:27 AM
I'm glad I stayed home I guess. It looked like an all day rain.

So I don't get it John, you didn't drive at RA in the rain but you will at Lowes. :p

Glad you guys had fun. I REALLY wanted to go (and for it to be dry).

cobrabitn
09-01-2002, 08:00 AM
I will say this much........it looked like a LOT OF FUN! but that little foreign do dah didn't do anything for me. Since there weren't any instructors available, it made me think twice about the track. In the dry though......it looked like it would be a lot of fun. ;)

Rob, even if it did rain, we still got to catch up on some chit chat. Several of us prepaid but if you didn't, then you probably did the wise thing. I'm planning on going out to eat with Mike and Caroline and maybe something else, I hope. :doubt:

Later.......

johnbasf
09-01-2002, 10:19 AM
So I don't get it John, you didn't drive at RA in the rain but you will at Lowes. :p

Rob, believe it or not I felt very comfortable on track. Running the oval felt very safe. Your car goes in the groove. The infield road course was a lake and everybody went VERY slow through there. I can't wait to run it DRY.

Tony, I walked aroud a little to try and find you but had no sucsess. I feel for the event people, what a terrible weather day.

cobrabitn
09-02-2002, 02:37 AM
This was fun!

cobrabitn
09-02-2002, 02:39 AM
Does this look familiar John?

johnbasf
09-02-2002, 09:12 AM
Those high banks are wild aren't they Tony!!!!

cobrabitn
09-02-2002, 03:29 PM
Honestly, I was in the passenger seat. It scared me to have someone else driving me around the track because I thought we were going to fall off the side! :thumbsup:

STANGBUM
09-02-2002, 08:51 PM
Hey John, I totally agree with ya. "what a rush" I was on the track Sunday the same time Tony was. only got to do like 4 laps but you could go what ever speed you wanted. the track was still wet but I got up to 100mph on the back straight.
"I think I got to do that again". If I can "save up" I want to do a road course sometime.:flash: :jawdrop:

johnbasf
09-02-2002, 09:07 PM
How about this weekend. NASA is there the 7-8!!! If you can't swing it come and hang out with us. I HOPE it's DRY!!!!!!!!

BOSSMAN
09-02-2002, 10:47 PM
Am I the only one who pushed there car to 120 mph. Everyone else says they were doing 95-100 mph. I have the bug now. I think I need to sign up for one of these track events now.:thumbsup:

johnbasf
09-02-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by BOSSMAN
Am I the only one who pushed there car to 120 mph. Everyone else says they were doing 95-100 mph. I have the bug now. I think I need to sign up for one of these track events now.:thumbsup:

It's a drug Jon!!!! Sign up and have a blast. We can change your car for the twisties. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
09-03-2002, 12:05 AM
Now John, we need drag day people too so everyone can get to do what they want to do best. We do drag racing too you know?
:(

Big Daddy
09-03-2002, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by BOSSMAN

Bossman may need to sell my Weekend with NASA the 7th and 8th of this month. My car may not be ready, if you're interested I'll find out what you need to do to purchase the weekend.

robbl
09-03-2002, 02:58 AM
Just out of interest.....
How long are those tracks? And how long are the straights?

98banana
09-03-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by robbl
Just out of interest.....
How long are those tracks? And how long are the straights?

I'm not sure how long the Lowe's curcuit is, but I would guess between 2 - 2.5 miles. The straight there includes a 31(?) degree banked turn that makes one heck of a long straight.

Other tracks normally average around 2 - 2.5 miles also with exceptions like VIR Full Course which is 3.?? miles and Road America which is even longer, I think. Most have straights that the average stock Cobra can stretch their legs up to 120-130 mph. Modified Cobra's can easily see 130+ on most of the longer straights.

I personally like VIR most with Road Atlanta a close second, even though the inside wall ate my car last June. I've made it a point to visit Road Atlanta first next year after my car is rebuilt.

Here's a few in car camera shots of VIR and Road Atlanta:

http://www.planetmustang.com/Movies/VIR/VIR-Viper.wmv

http://www.planetmustang.com/Movies/Road%20Atlanta/RoadAtl1.wmv

flynfink
09-03-2002, 12:24 PM
LMS oval is 1.5 miles, adding the infield section bumps it to 2.52 miles.

justagt
09-03-2002, 12:43 PM
Rain sucks, but they did have instructors. Well, let me rephrase that -- if you consider Shugg and me instructors, then they did have them. Luckily I was there on Friday all day when it was dry. Steven (Stylin' 99) ran his first OT deal and seemed to enjoy it.

cobrabitn
09-03-2002, 12:54 PM
I saw you there Will but I wasn't sure that was you. You sure looked like a youngin to me. ;)

BOSSMAN
09-04-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Big Daddy
Bossman may need to sell my Weekend with NASA the 7th and 8th of this month. My car may not be ready, if you're interested I'll find out what you need to do to purchase the weekend.

Big Daddy, I would take you up on the offer but my car decided that it didn't like the clutch that was in it. I'll be replacing it this weekend. But I'm going to do a track event soon!!!:D

Tony, Don't worry I'll never give up drag racing. I'm in the process of building a new car.:thumbsup: Hopefully it will make it's first appearance at the drag day next spring.

redsnake99
09-05-2002, 10:54 AM
This weekend I'm camping at the Fleetwood RV Camping Resort, at entrance X off Speedway Blvd.

Very close to the LMS speedway for the NASA events.

Tom & others?

cobrabitn
09-05-2002, 12:05 PM
Cool Bossman :thumbsup: Drive the 99 on the open track and get the Yellow Boss for the dragstrip. Honestly, I just like driving the heck out of my cars. It's killing me to keep the 94 stock, believe me but I want reliable daily transportation to work so it serves its purpose. Of course, a good OR pipe would sound awesome on it as well as the extra ponies. And what could a set of 3:73 gears hurt, right? There I go again. I've been thinking about the 69 Mach 1, pull the 428 out, put a EFI 351W stroked in it and let er rip at the strip, what do you think? :confused:

Big Daddy
09-05-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by redsnake99
This weekend I'm camping at the Fleetwood RV Camping Resort, at entrance X off Speedway Blvd.

Very close to the LMS speedway for the NASA events.

Tom & others?

I'm camping at the Fairfield Inn by the track! :D :D :D ;)

Tom & others??

98banana
09-05-2002, 02:19 PM

Hey, me three! Here's my plan...

Arrive at campground Friday at 4:00 and check in. Continue to the infield with RV and car. Check in, park RV and unload car. Hang around and help out if needed, then disconnect and drive RV back to campground. Saturday and Sunday morning, I'll drive RV back into infield during the days.

Dave, do you have a motor home or trailer? I don't remember.

Big Daddy
09-05-2002, 03:33 PM
Well life sucks!!! :( :( :( Pro-M screwed up and didn't ship the part overnight but 2nd day air which means that True Blue won't get it until after lunch tomorrow. NO WAY can they get it on and tuned and make sure the problem with the plugs fouling out is fixed by tomorrow night. SOOOOOO.....looks like I'm a scratch for this weekend. BUT on a bright note I may go to the Beaver Run event instead in October. It's near Pittsburgh which is a bit of a haul but I might be able to make it! I'll try to stop down this weekend if possible. If I don't leave the house I'm sure the "honey do" list will be waived at me! :D :D ;) ;)

redsnake99
09-05-2002, 06:35 PM
I have a pop-top camper. I brought it down last year to the Mod Shootout at Rockingham. I have to pull it with the Explorer.

See ya tomorrow.:bounce: :bounce:

redsnake99
09-08-2002, 10:33 PM
Great weekend at Lowe's Motor Speedway. Gorgeous weather. John Pearson, Tom Lewis, Jimmy Bost, myself, Brian Shugg and several whom I had met at other track events. This was my first NASA event, I think I'll do some more if the timing is right.

My car's running like it's supposed to again, so I'm hearing a call to the midwest........it's a bit faint, but getting stronger. Going to start looking at the options....drive the car there AND BACK, or figure how to trailer it.

Anyway, great automotive experience for all of us.

:D

cobrabitn
09-09-2002, 02:11 AM
Glad y'all had a good time! ;)

98banana
09-09-2002, 08:33 AM
Great weekend at Lowe's Motor Speedway. Gorgeous weather. John Pearson, Tom Lewis, Jimmy Bost, myself, Brian Shugg and several whom I had met at other track events. This was my first NASA event, I think I'll do some more if the timing is right.

My car's running like it's supposed to again, so I'm hearing a call to the midwest........it's a bit faint, but getting stronger. Going to start looking at the options....drive the car there AND BACK, or figure how to trailer it.

Anyway, great automotive experience for all of us.

:D

Dave, you're welcome to borrow my trailer if you need to. No problem. The only thing you'de have to do then is get a brake controller wired and you're set.