PDA

View Full Version : engine detailing question

sbc.cobra
09-10-2002, 03:20 PM
in y'alls opinion, what is the best product for engine detailing? where do you get it? need a spotless engine for this weekend.:banana: :banana:

Josh968
09-10-2002, 07:43 PM
I get this stuff called 'CD-2' at Target. It's two spray cans in a box, one cleaner, one detailer. Just did my engine compartment today. Looks good enough to be in a car show :p

smashedheadcat
09-10-2002, 08:53 PM
I use Armor All's "cleaning wipes". Then, i use Black Magic's Tire wet (not the foam, but the aerosal can) on all the rubber/plastic etc. etc. Definately looks good. :D

AV8R
09-10-2002, 09:00 PM
Simple Green.

This is what I do.

First, run your car to get the engine up to operating temp. Let the car stand a few minutes. Next, spray the engine down with simple green. Let sit for a couple minutes then hose down with low pressure water. Then go and take your car around the block to get the engine good and hot. Park the car and keep the hood closed. You basically have an oven now that will boil/evaporate all the water under the hood virtually leaving no water spots.

Jason

sbc.cobra
09-11-2002, 12:00 AM
jason,

do you just let the engine cool down a little before spraying on the simple green? does it hurt if that stuff gets on the paint? it seems to me that most people use simple green.

josh,

keith (evilcartman) was telling me about that CD-2....how does that work? have you tried simple green? just wondering before i go buying stuff tomorrow. thanks for the input everyone.

SVT99
09-11-2002, 01:26 AM
I use simple green also, but in a diferrent way. I get a spare squirt bottle and fill it with water almost to the top, then add simple green to top it off. I usually do it with engine cold. Spray it on, rub it in with a brush to loosen/remove dirt then hose it down. Then I wait to get to the show, give it 1 final wipe down with diluted simple green then sray it with No Touch Wet N Protect.

AV8R
09-11-2002, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by sbc.cobra
jason,

do you just let the engine cool down a little before spraying on the simple green? does it hurt if that stuff gets on the paint? it seems to me that most people use simple green.

josh,

keith (evilcartman) was telling me about that CD-2....how does that work? have you tried simple green? just wondering before i go buying stuff tomorrow. thanks for the input everyone.

Josh,

Simple Green will not harm your paint. In fact, I know some folks that actually wash their entire vehicle with the stuff.

I do let the engine cool down a bit. Don't want to crack that manifold. It just depends on how hard you ran the vehicle before you parked it. If you just started it up and idled it a few minutes, a few minutes cool down should do the trick. If you just brought the car back from driving, I would say 20-30min would be ample.

BTW...do you have coil on plug? If you do, you shouldn't have to cover anything in you engine bay.

Jason

Josh968
09-11-2002, 02:04 AM
I do NOT like Simple Green straight up. Gotta be diluted. The stuff actually corrode aluminum if left in contact too long.

Topless In Tex
09-11-2002, 02:41 AM
I use S.G. alot too.. spray it down, and use a Wheel Cleaning brush for the tight spots... I"ve gotten lazy..with a Car Wash across from my new SubDivision, I just spray the whole engine...I've ALWAYS sprayed the whole engine(at the car wash) and have NEVER had a problem w/ it siezing up on me! For chrome and plating I usually use Wenol. It works great. Mothers and Extreem are good too, but I find that Wenol in the blue tube will work wonders...especially if ya got a dremmel(if you wanna get into some serious polishing).... Armoral on the black plastic parts, and if i want a real shine, I have a 'secret spray' that is awsome! Just dont let water sit on your chrome/polish for too long...waterspots can be a *****!
Be sure to check all your 'unnoticeable' areas like the bottom of the engine bay walls, where the hinges are, and hood top as well. Also the fan shrouds and the battery housings. and check for oil or other leaks around your manifolds, and dont forget about your plug wires and hoses as well. :yup:
:raise:
:banana:TNT:banana:

cobrabitn
09-11-2002, 11:55 AM
Probably stupid but I use my leaf blower on my engine bay to blow off all the water down to get in the hard spots and then I just wipe it off. I also blow the car off so I can get in between the taillights and bumper. it works, trust me. ;)

I don't use any type of Armor all, period! Once you wipe it off then you can get some 3M for plastics and rubber and it will do the trick. I have also used Tire Wet lightly on the plastic and rubber parts. No Armor all, period!

riplightning
09-11-2002, 01:31 PM
I also use Simple Green, you can get it at Walmart.

I use almost the same process as AV8R except after I wash off the simple green, I use a damp cotton cloth and wipe off the water on the top of the motor and all the plastic or rubber pieces.

It gives a clean look without the shine of Armor All.

97CasperCobra
09-11-2002, 02:02 PM
Tony, I've thought about the leaf blower, but compressed air works a LOT better. Guess you'd have to have a compressor for that, might be expensive if you buy the little cans.;)

cobrabitn
09-11-2002, 02:42 PM
Leaf blower works, trust me. I just look stuipid doing it out in public. But hey, I won second at the MCA Grand National so maybe it does work?? :rotf:

sbc.cobra
09-11-2002, 06:45 PM
i use a leaf blower also...neighbors look at me like i'm a moron, but who cares...then i take it around the block to get the rest of the water out of the tailights, wheels, etc....then dry it off again...well, i took everyone's advice and went w/ the simple green....gonna try it on saturday. ordered some zaino also! my dad uses it on his '66 vette and loves the stuff.

Topless In Tex
09-11-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by cobrabitn
Leaf blower works, trust me. I just look stuipid doing it out in public. But hey, I won second at the MCA Grand National so maybe it does work?? :rotf:

Hey Tony.
Was that the Grand Nats at the Adams Mark a few years ago? We were there and placed 2nd too! Cool! :thumbsup:
Ya, i wish i had a leaf blower, but i used the compressed air in the cans.
Armorall is a personal pref. some people like it, some people dont. I like to use the Endurance Tire shine on my rubber/ plastic parts too! That is my favorite for tires. The clear gel, not the globby opaque one. Spreads great! :)
TNT

Evilcartman
09-11-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by 97CasperCobra
Tony, I've thought about the leaf blower, but compressed air works a LOT better. Guess you'd have to have a compressor for that, might be expensive if you buy the little cans.;)

You have to be careful of compressed air. Most compressors have oils in the lines and the inside of the tanks rust, spitting out containments. I have a compressor and a gas blower (to messy for cars) and I just went and bought a elec blower from Wal-mart for $40. They even have a cheaper one for $20. I get the same looks from the neighbors.

As for cleaning the engine, the CD2 stuff is great for detailing. I used a little in the League City car show. I haven't tried SG on the engine, but I use to use it to clean things around the house. I also use Zaino on the paint, Endurance on the tires (the best) and Natural shine on the plastic peices.

I also bought some of the Eagle one wet detailer. In league city, the black Z06 that parked next to us used that stuff. When he came in, his car was nasty and in a few hours it was perfect. I believe he won first place in his class. I got to try that stuff.

Z06 Chic
09-11-2002, 10:58 PM
I use Simple Green just like Jason does. I then finish off with Meguires.

sbc.cobra
09-11-2002, 11:02 PM
i remember that z06...i remember keith, his wife, and myself looking at each other when it pulled up and saying to each other "he's not really showing his car like that." but you're right, that thing looked like it had just come off of the show room floor when he got finished w/ it!

97CasperCobra
09-11-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Evilcartman
You have to be careful of compressed air. Most compressors have oils in the lines and the inside of the tanks rust, spitting out containments. I have a compressor and a gas blower (to messy for cars) and I just went and bought a elec blower from Wal-mart for $40. They even have a cheaper one for $20. I get the same looks from the neighbors.

Never thought of the oil from the compressor. Good point Keith. I'll use the blower. :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
09-12-2002, 12:06 PM
Hey Tony.
Was that the Grand Nats at the Adams Mark a few years ago? We were there and placed 2nd too! Cool!

It was the Grand National this year at Lowes Motor Speedway in Charlotte, NC. ;)

See the website for the show coverage at www.svtcobraclub.com and you can see a pic of many SCMCers including myself. ;)

Topless In Tex
09-14-2002, 12:43 AM
DUH! I just noticed you werent even in Texas!!!!!!! My mind has just not been right lately! Thanks for the link! Congrats! :D
:banana:TNT:banana: