PDA

View Full Version : Magnaflows

temjin9876
09-13-2002, 03:24 PM
Alright.... I really need some input on this one as time is limited. I found very positive reviews of the Magnaflow catback on most sites and am tired of the sound of my 2-chamber flowmasters. So, I bought the catback w/magnapacks for my 98. I went to my mechanic and asked how much he would charge to put it on and he asked what kind it was and I said Magnaflow. Well he started raving about how it was a waste of money and that the flows will make more power than the Magnaflow catback.

Now, I have limited knowledge in the science of making power and my mechanic's opinion has me pretty uneasy about changing my exhaust setup. I am sticking with the stock h-pipe for now and really need some help because it is not too late to take it back.

I would rather have power than sound but what experience does anyone have to offer?:( :( :( :(

smashedheadcat
09-13-2002, 05:21 PM
Rest easy. Magnaflow is definately one of the highest quality exhaust companies out there. Stainless steel is a definate advantage over the flows. The sound is probably going to be quieter than you setup now. I'd go ahead and imagine that the magnaflows will be equal to, or better than the flows when it comes to power. It's not a waste of money, so don't worry about that. Instead, think of it as a upgrade. Anything with JBA, BORLA, Bassani, Magnaflow, Dr. Gas (to name a few) got popular for a reason. You can't go wrong with pieces from these companies.

temjin9876
09-13-2002, 05:31 PM
thanx for the input and i would still like to hear from others

yeah, the flowmaster catback idea got pretty soured in my head when I saw a guys tailpipes that were turning kinda yellow; the tips really were not aging well. I LOVE the sound of magna's and the magnapack is really cool. If I still do it, I'll post a couple pics and let you guys hear it in carolina:thumbsup:

smashedheadcat
09-13-2002, 09:19 PM
You're welcome. :thumbsup:

JBejarano
09-13-2002, 10:02 PM
Not a waste at all, I've had the magnaflow catback on my 99 for quite a while now. I havent had any experience with flowmasters, but as I have been told, those are really any good for sound. From what I have been told about flowmasters, switching to the magnaflows you should gain a little more power. Like I said, I have no experience with flowmasters, so I am only going by what I have heard about them, but I do know that the magnaflows are not a waste. I have em and love em.

tnturbo
09-14-2002, 09:43 PM
I had the flowmasters for a while, Magnaflow is better IMO. With the Magnapacks, you may be louder than with the Flows, but probably not. Magnaflows are quiter. If it is too loud buy some Bassani baffles for the tips, they will make it quieter and can be easily removed when you want more power and or noise. I would suggest that when you get the tips adjusted exactly where you want them that you tack weld them in place. The small set screw they come with has a tendency to come loose.

temjin9876
09-18-2002, 04:15 PM
I got it on today.....here are my impressions:

tips are nasty and WAY TO BIG! looks like a freakin import

sound: well, magnapacks are VERY VERY LOUD... i mean damn. other than the volume, i couldn't ask for better sound.

power: breathes nicer but little power gain over flows....I'll drive it on a drier day than today and update

installation: the catback had a very bad fit and took a little welding for it to look close to even

i might go back to the stock tips and keep the mufflers on. geez...after all that, I shoulda just got the mufflers

tnturbo
09-18-2002, 11:54 PM
Big tips have grown on me. They used to make 3" tips for these, but went to 3.5 fr some reason. What was the problem with the install? Only trouble area on mine was on driver side at the gas tank, I just massaged the flange around the tank a little and it cleared ok. The 98s use a different hanger apparatus at the back, maybe they sent you the wrong one? Sorry to hear about your fit issues.

My 96 has never been to the dyno, but it has gone down the track a couple hundred times ;) I did not gain ANYTHING with flowmaster catback at the track, MPH was exactly the same as before and that was the only change. Also, I did not gain ANYTHING with the Magnaflow catback either. Same track, same conditions, same day, no mph change.

temjin9876
09-19-2002, 09:36 AM
well....the entire passenger side didn't curve right. We had to do a little welding just to get it to look even close to symmetrical. Now, there is a place on the passenger side piping that is knocking against the frame; this creates shaking all through the car at startup and moving from a dead stop.

the mufflers sound very nice and I want to keep them but I have contacted magnaflow about my very irritating situation in hopes that we can work something out. If they don't offer any help, I am going to buy some 2.5" tailpipes and have it all welded up.

The guys who put it on are very experienced and I seriously doubt that they are at fault. They even offered to do all the welding for free just to make it right.

geez....after all is said and done, that is one expensive catback.

temjin9876
09-19-2002, 09:39 AM
oh yeah,
the tips look RIDICULOUS on my car.

this is very frustrating because my grandmother died the night before last and I am taking 4 days off of work. That is going to put a big hurt on the wallet

flynfink
09-19-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by temjin9876
well....the entire passenger side didn't curve right. We had to do a little welding just to get it to look even close to symmetrical. Now, there is a place on the passenger side piping that is knocking against the frame; this creates shaking all through the car at startup and moving from a dead stop.

the mufflers sound very nice and I want to keep them but I have contacted magnaflow about my very irritating situation in hopes that we can work something out. If they don't offer any help, I am going to buy some 2.5" tailpipes and have it all welded up.

The guys who put it on are very experienced and I seriously doubt that they are at fault. They even offered to do all the welding for free just to make it right.

geez....after all is said and done, that is one expensive catback.

Hey Guys, this is disturbing, I'm all set to order the MagnaFLows for my 99. You guys that used this on a 99, did they go on easy? I'm installing them myself.

temjin9876
09-19-2002, 04:25 PM
alright...there is a couple more developments in my exhaust saga:

I called magnaflow and was basically told to go to hell and that it was the installer's fault (even though he has done every kind of cat-back ever). The customer service rep said, and I quote, "it must have been an issue with the install because our manufacturing process makes it virtually impossible to have a defect." :mad: No apologies, no reparations, nothing but a "your stupid and we are not" kind of response. I went and bought new Flowmaster 2.5" tailpipes and having them welded in tomorrow. The place I got the tailpipes and the catback from were very apologetic and sympathetic with my situation. They not only swore to ride some butt over at Magnaflow, but knocked $45 off the tailpipes. It wasn't even their fault but they tried really hard to make it right.

I HIGHLY suggest giving Full Line Exhaust a call for any exhaust needs. They had the absolute lowest prices on exhaust I have ever encountered. $338 for the catback and $142 for the tailpipes (before the deal they gave me).

I will never buy another magnaflow product ever again...except maybe if they started including free superchargers :thumbsup:

JBejarano
09-19-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by flynfink
Hey Guys, this is disturbing, I'm all set to order the MagnaFLows for my 99. You guys that used this on a 99, did they go on easy? I'm installing them myself.

I installed a Magnaflow catback on my 99, went on flawlessly, took me all of about 45 min to do myself with a jack and stands. Couldnt be happier, except maybe it would be nice if it was a little louder at times :D

tnturbo
09-19-2002, 06:27 PM
Sorry to hear about all the troubles. Full Line is great to deal with. They are fast and friendly. At least something has gone well for you. Full Line sells a lot of Magnaflow stuff, they may be able to get some kind of results.

Would you be interested in selling your old Magnaflow pipes that are being cut off? I am interested in purchasing them if you are interested in selling.

It took about 45 minutes to install on my 96 as well, but I had it on a lift. I will be at the Deal's Gap cruise if anyone wants to take a look and listen. My setup is Bassani offroad X and Magnaflow catback.

temjin9876
09-19-2002, 08:55 PM
the new tailpipes will be welded in to complete my magnaMASTER catback.

As for the old..er...I mean basically new tailpipes. Make me an offer cause I am more than willing to sell them.