PDA

View Full Version : 5.0 vs. cobra

Musio
09-16-2002, 12:28 AM
Ok, does anyone one know how heavily modyfied a 5.O mustang has to be in order to take on a 99 cobra. I'm just asking because my friend has a stock 90 lx and he says that he's orderd some parts (but nothing major knowing how much he makes) and that he's gonna beat my cobra. I don't know if I should be scared or not!

Thanks!!!

:(

Snake98
09-16-2002, 01:44 AM
actually i have heard stories of some 87-93 LX's that ran 12's stock due to unknown manufacturing errors.....although this is highly unlikely....but be careful. You should have a good 80-90+ HP on him though. I have taken out an 1990 automatic 5.0 LX and i beat him pretty bad. :D

cobrabitn
09-17-2002, 10:35 AM
Don't be scared. A stock 5.0 is no match for a stock 99 Cobra with the "fix" completed on it. ;) (Remember, the key word here is Stock)

Black Snake
09-17-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by cobrabitn
Don't be scared. A stock 5.0 is no match for a stock 99 Cobra with the "fix" completed on it. ;) (Remember, the key word here is Stock)
Hmmm I seem to remember a mildly modified 93 Cobra giving a certain 99 Cobra a run for it's money... and winning. :D

cobrabitn
09-18-2002, 11:25 AM
Driver inexperience, mine. My best times are now better then Scott's and his car was modified when mine was stock. By the book, I had more torque and horsepower, so technically by the numbers, I should have beaten him. He won so I have to give him credit for that but tomorrow is a new day and the drag day is coming up real soon..... :rotf:

tgentry
09-18-2002, 12:00 PM
I have run better times with my '96 than my friend has with his '95 Powerdyned Cobra. I just have basic bolt-ons, so that should give you some idea.

OHV's need lot's of mods (or a power adder) to be in the same league as a DOHC.

tcrews
09-18-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by cobrabitn
By the book, I had more torque and horsepower, so technically by the numbers, I should have beaten him.
I disagree.....horespower/torque is only part of the equation. Weight, weight transfer, traction, all come in to play and can make a car with much lower hp/tq beat a car that "should" win based on numbers alone. Of course then you can add in the driver experience/inexperience and throw the equation even more off! ;)

Also you have to look at the hp/tq across the rpm range and not just the peak numbers.

I still have a 'little' uneasiness feeling when I line up next to a FOX bodied 5.0....there's no telling what's under the hood and what it's going to run!!

:)

tgentry
09-18-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by tcrews
I still have a 'little' uneasiness feeling when I line up next to a FOX bodied 5.0....there's no telling what's under the hood and what it's going to run!!

:)

Seems to me it's the 5.0 that should be uneasy lining up next to Tom C.!!!:flash:

smashedheadcat
09-18-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by tgentry
Seems to me it's the 5.0 that should be uneasy lining up next to Tom C.!!!:flash:

Maybe someday, I'll creep up next to Tom C. at a light..... I'd feel uneasy, but i'll be darned if i wouldn't give it a shot.

:flash:
:flash:

cobrabitn
09-18-2002, 06:21 PM
I don't feel uneasy when I line up next to a 5.0 and the key word was stock here. Did I say the key word was stock here? Let's take Aaron's stock 5.0 which put down 190 rwhp and 235 tq. It's a stock 5.0 vs my stock 99 with the fix and 273 rwhp and 284 rwtq. I don't care how much you spin or torque transfer, he would lose and did! Scott on the other hand was modded out with gears. If I had 4:10's then he wouldn't have a chance and I am an in experienced driver who spins, doesn't transfer torque correctly and such. Did I mention it was stock vs. stock? And that stock was the key word I was using here?

Let's take a look at your modded 97 vs Rob's 93. To date, I don't think Rob has not beat your numbers with your 97 and it's old times.

I can say from my experience since I owned both cars, my stock 92 GT was no match for my stock 99 before I did anything to it.

Since I owned both cars and drove them for years, I'd say I was qualified just as much or more then anyone to make that statement. Did I mention it was "stock 5.0 vs stock 4.6 DOHC" that I was comparing? If not, for the record let me state that a stock 5.0 (my 92GT) was no match for my stock 4.6 DOHC (my 99 Cobra) on any given day and then some.

If the guy is heavily modded then all the factors Tom mentioned come into play. Did I say stock vs. stock they were no match? ;)

smashedheadcat
09-18-2002, 06:47 PM
I've had a few 5-liters in my day, and still have one today. The 5-liters will respond very well to everything. Give me an '87 notchback w/drag radials, advanced timing, 4.30's, and some drag radials and it'll eat up a stock 4-valve cobra. But, stock for stock, you're right on the money.

Musio
09-19-2002, 12:50 AM
WOW!!! I didn't know that this was such a sensitive topic!

smashedheadcat
09-19-2002, 01:37 AM
Just something i've noticed...... a 4V cobra modified, without a power adder is going to put out a maximum of about 300rwhp. Yes, i know there are quite a few out there putting out more in N/A form, but not much. Maybe 315rwhp, but you get the idea. Don't get me wrong, that's enough power to wipe out most cars out there. But, the 5-liter can be super sneaky. There are so many things you can do to these cars, and it's about half the price of the modular stuff. The majority of these cars have been modified, then sold, then modified, then sold and so on and so on. When that happens over a 12 year period or so, these things get fast. Fast fast fast. Stock fox's are very rare these days. That's why "You never know" what you're up against when the 5.0 comes up along side of ya. The modular cobras have more horsepower, but take a look at the torque..... Not that much difference....

cobrabitn
09-19-2002, 10:22 AM
Musio,

It's not a sensitive subject. I just wanted to make sure everyone knew I was commenting on stock vs. stock since you said the guy had a stock LX. In all honesty, I would give any car respect whether it is a 5.0 or a 4.6 till you run against it. The odds of you winning against the LX is pretty good.

A stock 93 Cobra which is most likely faster then a stock LX is 14.3@98 mph according to Ford Motor Company.

A stock 99 Cobra(after fix) is 13.8@102mph according to the same source.

You be the judge. ;)

flynfink
09-20-2002, 08:51 PM
Tony, did you say "STOCK"? Just checking to make sure... LOL

28 Fangs
10-04-2002, 12:48 PM
hi guys.anyway most my buddies have 5.0's.and they are all pretty fast.we have about a 50/50 amogst us over here between modulars and 5.0's.by the way i keep reading about this "fix"on the modulars .what's this all about?96 black on black snake