PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Cobra R?????

Firme
09-17-2002, 05:04 PM
I had heard some rumors.. way back before the 03's hit the dealers that there was going to be two specials in 03.... 1) would be a color shade similar to the 96 mystic, but not as elaborate... and 2) talks of either a comorative 10th anniversary or R model...

well I get my 5.0 mustang & super ford... I'm just reading through it.. and I get to page 33. An article titled "Steeda Q's and Cobras". THe article talked about the steeda Q400 03 Cobra and how they colaborated with ford to PCM tune the car without the use of a 3rd party chip... well I keep reading and towards the end... it says "In other Steeda news, the company got in an '03 Cobra R and immediatly started modifying the car....."

:eek:

I WANT SPECS AND DETAILS... WHATS THE ENGINE????

Andy M
09-17-2002, 05:36 PM
Hate to pop your bubble?, but there is no 2003 Cobra R. What they probably got was a 2003 Cobra and are using that to provide a basis for a tuned car. Kenny Brown is doing the same as I am typing this message.

No one knows for sure (except the Ford folks) right now... but my guess is we won't see another run of Cobra R's until the next gen of the Mustang comes out, which I believe will be next year, as a 2004 model. So, I would expect maybe another Cobra R a year later - namely a 2005 model.

I will be very curious to see which powerplant they end up using for the next R??? Maybe some derivation of the GT-40 engine??

Firme
09-18-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Andy M
Hate to pop your bubble?, but there is no 2003 Cobra R. What they probably got was a 2003 Cobra and are using that to provide a basis for a tuned car. Kenny Brown is doing the same as I am typing this message.

No one knows for sure (except the Ford folks) right now... but my guess is we won't see another run of Cobra R's until the next gen of the Mustang comes out, which I believe will be next year, as a 2004 model. So, I would expect maybe another Cobra R a year later - namely a 2005 model.

I will be very curious to see which powerplant they end up using for the next R??? Maybe some derivation of the GT-40 engine??

don't worry Andy... there is no bubble here to pop... A new R would definitely be out of my price range... but I was just sharing what I read.. as you can see by what I typed... the article extensively talked about the 2003 Cobra that steeda is working on.. and additionaly it mentioned they had an 03 R... it just set off a light bulb since an acquantance of mine has ties to svt and sees stuff as it being drawn up. He hinted to this happening, but its one of those "cmon man tell me whats gonna happen" and him saying " I can't tell ya..but all I can say is...blah blah blah"

hes also seen the 2005 stangs( the date keeps shifting from 04 to 05 and back, so all the magazines are confused as to its comming out ) his comment was "trust me you won't be dissapointed"

oh and from what Ive heard.. the GT40 has a sprused up version of you 5.4 in your 00R with the same type blower as the 03 Cobra...

Only time will tell...

:doubt: :doubt:

SVT99
09-18-2002, 04:00 PM
I think Andy's right, there won't be another R til the new body style. I read that also in the magazine and chalked it up to an error. The only rumor I've heard and believe is the 10th Ann. SVT Cobra due to come out. Also been told that the new body supposed to have a 5.0 Mod motor sporting 400 HP!;) Only time will tell. Not sure I believe that one.

Firme
09-18-2002, 07:54 PM
Its very possible its an error in the mag... if so... shame on 5.0

the article made a clear distinction....

I actually wouldn't think there should be an R in 03... R's are gorgous and rare cars... if they pumped them out every few years... they would lose a certain luster... guess its time to dig through my email addresses and find that guys email and ask him for sure...

Andy M
09-18-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Firme
oh and from what Ive heard.. the GT40 has a sprused up version of you 5.4 in your 00R with the same type blower as the 03 Cobra...

Only time will tell...

:doubt: :doubt:

Actually, this is what I am hoping happens?!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE??? This way, those of us with R's can maybe get some aftermarket or at least some Ford Racing stuff for our cars?? Like a blower?!!! Yummy!!!! Now that would kick some serious butt!! I figure the 5.4 with a blower on it and some pulleys, etc.. would be good for about 550-600 HP!! :eek:

Firme
09-19-2002, 12:06 AM
Actually, this is what I am hoping happens?!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE??? This way, those of us with R's can maybe get some aftermarket or at least some Ford Racing stuff for our cars?? Like a blower?!!! Yummy!!!! Now that would kick some serious butt!! I figure the 5.4 with a blower on it and some pulleys, etc.. would be good for about 550-600 HP!! :eek:

that would be awesome :thumbsup:

I would love to see that pan out... and you know the GT-40 will be detuned like everything else...so there might be alot of potential..

you know how they talked about a ramair in the roof off the GT-40 for the blower... that would be a sight to see sticking out of your hood :rotf:

AV8R
09-19-2002, 10:39 AM
that would be awesome :thumbsup:

I would love to see that pan out... and you know the GT-40 will be detuned like everything else...so there might be alot of potential..

you know how they talked about a ramair in the roof off the GT-40 for the blower... that would be a sight to see sticking out of your hood :rotf:

You guys stop....I am starting to drool. :D

Andy M
09-19-2002, 12:03 PM
At this point, I'd be really happy if they would make available some R (or something close?) heads and a good intake!! ... That way, I could build my own MONSTER motor!:bounce:

Firme
09-19-2002, 09:00 PM
At this point, I'd be really happy if they would make available some R (or something close?) heads and a good intake!! ... That way, I could build my own MONSTER motor!:bounce:

have you entertained the idea of getting some Navigator heads and having them worked on(extrude honed, flow tested) to get some great flow... and slapping those on as an experiment???

(also MODMAX might be willing to make some custom grind cams if you don't have some HP ones already)

just a thought with my limited R knowledge...

Andy M
09-19-2002, 10:04 PM
have you entertained the idea of getting some Navigator heads and having them worked on(extrude honed, flow tested) to get some great flow... and slapping those on as an experiment???

(also MODMAX might be willing to make some custom grind cams if you don't have some HP ones already)

just a thought with my limited R knowledge... Yep!! That is exactly what Steve (at Houston Performance) and I have been talking about doing. But, the intake is still a problem?.. Looks like we would need to get one custom made?.. The one on my car right now would not fit on the Navigator heads even if I wanted to use it?, which I don't. I want to take the complete motor out of the car and store it... headers, intake, everything. Then, I want to build another 5.4 with the same internals but with some higher flowing heads and some custom cams... as well as higher compression pistons. We figure it would be good for right at 500 HP normally aspirated...about 425-440 at the rear wheels... with about the same torque. I would also be doing some custom long tube (equal length) headers at the same time.

Anyway, that is what Steve and I are calling "Project Navigator". We will do this one day soon?? Don't know when yet though, as I need to save up for that one. It ain't gonna be cheap?!!! :eek:

slovette
09-19-2002, 10:23 PM
do you have a 00' cobra R that's awesome man... I would love to have one :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

AV8R
09-20-2002, 10:56 AM
Yep!! That is exactly what Steve (at Houston Performance) and I have been talking about doing. But, the intake is still a problem?.. Looks like we would need to get one custom made?.. The one on my car right now would not fit on the Navigator heads even if I wanted to use it?, which I don't. I want to take the complete motor out of the car and store it... headers, intake, everything. Then, I want to build another 5.4 with the same internals but with some higher flowing heads and some custom cams... as well as higher compression pistons. We figure it would be good for right at 500 HP normally aspirated...about 425-440 at the rear wheels... with about the same torque. I would also be doing some custom long tube (equal length) headers at the same time.

Anyway, that is what Steve and I are calling "Project Navigator". We will do this one day soon?? Don't know when yet though, as I need to save up for that one. It ain't gonna be cheap?!!! :eek:

Let me know if you ever do that Andy. It would be nice to have Steve do it and then be able to replicate it for anyone else that may want to go that route.

Firme
09-23-2002, 02:21 PM
well, I got the email from the guy, the thought of a 2003 R was squashed early on.. your right guys the magazine article was an error....
:D