PDA

View Full Version : Shifter Problems?

Spiffy668
09-30-2002, 11:51 AM
Specifically 99-01 owners, any of you have any problems "finding" gears? Majority of the time, when you shift into R, it will grind until you put the car into another gear then back into R. Sometimes other gears are difficult to shift into, but there is no grinding. The few people who have had the chance to drive my car, first thing out of their mouth is "You need a new/better shifter". :D

Here's my ?s:
Anyone else have this happen and if you bought an aftermarket stick, did the problem disappear? I'd like to make sure this is a "cosmetic" problem instead of something more, like a synchro or shift fork, something internal that will make my wallet scream in pain.

Those with aftermarket sticks, which has served you best? I've been a pro 5.0 man since I had one in my 95, but I've never tried any of the others so I'm not too knowledgeable in their feel.

98banana
09-30-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Spiffy668
Specifically 99-01 owners, any of you have any problems "finding" gears? Majority of the time, when you shift into R, it will grind until you put the car into another gear then back into R. Sometimes other gears are difficult to shift into, but there is no grinding. The few people who have had the chance to drive my car, first thing out of their mouth is "You need a new/better shifter". :D

Here's my ?s:
Anyone else have this happen and if you bought an aftermarket stick, did the problem disappear? I'd like to make sure this is a "cosmetic" problem instead of something more, like a synchro or shift fork, something internal that will make my wallet scream in pain.

Those with aftermarket sticks, which has served you best? I've been a pro 5.0 man since I had one in my 95, but I've never tried any of the others so I'm not too knowledgeable in their feel.

I've got a '98 and it has the same problems with shifting into reverse. IMO, it's because the tranny is a piece of crap.

As far as shifters: Tri-Ax. And it won't fix your shifting problem, but when the shifts do occur, they'll feel better.

cobrabitn
09-30-2002, 12:49 PM
What Tom said except my Tri-ax did help it out some. It will also give you positive shifts. We also get a discount from Steeda or HP if you wish to get one from them. My advice for you is to wait for Dean to put together the annual group purchase from Houston Performance and get it at a cute rate price. ;)

I bought mine for $155.00 including delivery during our group purchase two years ago.

blown92gt
09-30-2002, 11:03 PM
Get a shifter it will keep you from bending forks etc. I put a Tri-ax on my car and does feel a little better but not much. All in all the 3650 is one of the worst trannys I've seen. Lots of slack and don't appear to hold up worth a crap.

Bartman01
09-30-2002, 11:19 PM
I believe that one of the major differences between the 99 and 01 trannys is that the new tranny has synchros for reverse whereas the old one does not. I have never had a problem getting reverse.