PDA

View Full Version : brake bias

kevin
10-12-2002, 02:23 PM
since several of you are doing so much to your cars to race, i thot i'de bring this subject up.

have any of you considered putting a brake bias adjustment in your cars?

with the amount of attention your giving to suspension changes and such, this would be an extremely helpful device.

for those unaware - it's a knob in the cockpit that allows you to adjust how much front or rear brake you have.

we all know the the front brakes generally engage first. this make trail braking far more difficult (if not dangerous) and in hard braking it envolves a very large (or can) unbalancing of the car.

by adjusting the rears to the fronts you get better trailbraking balance.

just a thot to add into your mix

Cobra-R
10-12-2002, 10:11 PM
Can an adjuster be added easily with the ABS systems on todays cars???

I have no idea, just asking

kevin
10-12-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Cobra-R
Can an adjuster be added easily with the ABS systems on todays cars???

I have no idea, just asking

don't know. but if cars are being stripped, it might be worth looking into

Dean95CobraR
10-13-2002, 12:35 PM
There is already one installed on my car.

Not sure how they work on as ABS car.

98banana
10-13-2002, 09:23 PM
I'm going dual master cylinders...

justagt
10-14-2002, 10:35 AM
I think they are a good idea and I have one mounted in my car. I have seen a lot of them mounted under the hood, which to me makes it a little hard to adjust from the seat. I mounted mine on the side of the transmission tunnel behind my shifter so it is out of the way, but still easy to get to.

COBRA #17
10-14-2002, 04:33 PM
Well I put one in my car before Lowes and didn't get to use it at Lowes because my new rear pads didn't come in time. But I did use it a good bit this weekend at VIR. In fact it atributed to my spin into turn 1 when I was passing Shugg for the lead sunday. I had fooled with it all morning sat getting it to feel right and getting used to it. I thought I had it figured out untill I hauled in on the braked REAL HARD. Then it let me down, plus I think I may have come off the clutch a little too soon into 2nd gear witch didn't help. I have to watch the video a little closer. Shuggs car is in my drivers window so I can't hear what the car is doing when it starts to spin. BOY did I mash the gas when it spun though. I knew I had to keep the car running because the plugs were fouling and if I killed it i would have never got it started again.
The prop valves are the way to go and putting it in the car where you can use it is the only way to go also!!! :thumbsup:

AI East Asst. Director
COBRA #17
1 fast hillbilly:D

svt_coupe
10-15-2002, 11:01 AM
I definitely want to get one put in my car Kevin. I have lots of plans over the winter. It include a proportioning valve. The stock Ford unit puts such little emphasis on rear bias. Alot can be gained as you said...

Hoover - I'm glad you couldn't hear what your car was doing. I like having a loud car. :D

justagt
10-15-2002, 11:15 AM
Let me know. I can run the hard line for you. Are you going to ditch the ABS or keep it?