PDA

View Full Version : radiator flush and fill

coolarrow
10-15-2002, 10:54 AM
Does anybody know how to do a flush and fill on a 99 Cobra. Mine is due and I'm curious if this is pretty easy or should I just take it to the dealership and have them charge me an arm and leg. Also, what type of anti-freeze do y'all reccomend, do I have to mix or what??

One more thing is it hard to change the fuel filter??

I'm still trying to learn my way around my car, I appreciate the help.

Mystic_Cobra
10-15-2002, 11:12 AM
I haven't done a flush with any "officially approved" method, but you can start by draining the system, refilling it with water and running it until it's hot-drive around the block a couple times. That should circulate the old stuff that was left in the engine and any other hard-to-reach places. Drain it and refill it with water. Keep doing this until the system runs clear. It should only take two or three fills.
Then fill it back up with enough antifreeze/water mix to keep it from freezing in your area. Texas folks won't need as much antifreeze as michigan folks. :)
This is the way I've always done it on my Mustangs (66, 89, 96)...

Mystic_Cobra
10-15-2002, 11:18 AM
yeah, I forgot about the black plug. Thanks, Tom. After you fill it the last time, you need to remove the black plug with a 1/4" drive ratchet and top off the system to keep the air out. DON'T TIGHTEN IT TOO MUCH WHEN YOU'RE DONE.

And as for the fuel filter, I haven't changed the one on my Cobra yet, but on my 89 (should be very similar). It's easy to figure out once you find the damn thing. It's above the rear end, just in front of the diff. Hit the inertia button in the trunk to release the fuel pressure and then run it til it dies. That should keep you from getting sprayed with gas.

sfuller
10-15-2002, 11:02 PM
The refill procedure states that you fill the tank, and cap it off, then fill the rest of the system from that black plug. Refilling just from the tank will not get all of the air out of the system properly.

I do mine while the car is idling so that the air gets worked out of the system, and then I go back and keep topping it off over the next few hours to get that last bit of fluid in.