PDA

View Full Version : Dyno Day possiblity.....

97CasperCobra
10-16-2002, 12:08 AM
May be planning one on Nov. 2. Maybe at MTI or Houston Performance. Let's hear your ideas and thoughts so I can nail it down. Thanks.

Andy M
10-16-2002, 07:38 AM
I thought there was one planned for this past Saturday at Houston Performance??? Did you guys not hold this event as planned?

sbc.cobra
10-16-2002, 08:02 AM
my vote is MTI b/c that's where i did my last dyno and i would like to stay on the same machine. just a suggestion.

roadruna
10-16-2002, 12:42 PM
I thought there was going to be one this past Saturday also, but when nothing was commented on it for the past few weeks, I assumed it was cancelled. Either way, I would also be quite interested in a dyno day on Nov 2. MTI would probably be my choice too for the same reasons.

Levi
10-16-2002, 01:20 PM
I am in, Just say when and where. This will be my first dyno run.:yup:

Evilcartman
10-16-2002, 04:46 PM
I will go. I prefer MTI over HP because that was my last stop. I think I will be also Dynoing on the 9th at that new place, RSI.

http://www.h-s-r-a.com/boards/index.php?board=18;action=display;threadid=1107

I will go both times though to compare the new Dyno to the other.

Z06 Chic
10-16-2002, 04:58 PM
It would be a great idea for me but don't think I can make it for this one.
:(

SVT99
10-16-2002, 05:07 PM
vote for HP, the only dyno I've ever used.

Bartman01
10-16-2002, 05:16 PM
Won't be able to make it that day, but I want to get my car on the dyno. What are the pros/cons of getting it done at MTI vs HP? Any reason to choose one over another?

Evilcartman
10-16-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Bartman01
Won't be able to make it that day, but I want to get my car on the dyno. What are the pros/cons of getting it done at MTI vs HP? Any reason to choose one over another?

From what I can tell and what I heard, MTI and HP have simular dyno's physically. They are both drive on, in ground. I have been to both once each and I liked the print out better from MTI. I got a 3 page print out with readings on MPH, RPM and a break down in 500 RPM steps. The HP print out is hard to read and compare to previous pulls. Steve may be able to give up a better copy. Both shops are very professional and run by nice guys. I also heard that MTI is more accurate and HP is a little low. I'm not sure which one is correct but MTI is higher than HP.

Another thing I noticed. MTI makes sure both runs are done with the car completely warmed up. HP just ran it right away without getting the engine to operating temp.

Just my two cents:thumbsup:

cobrapace94
10-16-2002, 06:26 PM
HP has a Mustang dyno, which puts a load on the car and is better for tuning, putting a load on a car is more like driving. I think, not sure, but MTI's dyno is a DynoJet, which does not put a load on the motor, and is more like a accelerameter (sp?). The Dyno Jet will usually read higher than the Mustang dyno. Tire air pressure can make the Dyno Jet numbers higher with more air pressure in the tires, less resistance with more air, as the Mustang will not be effective.
HP would be closer for me & that is the last place I had it dynoed, so that is my vote.
I will not dyno mine, no changes yet, unless I get the FRPP Extender in and sent out to be modified and back, then installed. Hoping to get a FRPP 65 mm TB also.

Firme
10-16-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by cobrapace94
HP has a Mustang dyno, which puts a load on the car and is better for tuning, putting a load on a car is more like driving. I think, not sure, but MTI's dyno is a DynoJet, which does not put a load on the motor, and is more like a accelerameter (sp?). The Dyno Jet will usually read higher than the Mustang dyno. Tire air pressure can make the Dyno Jet numbers higher with more air pressure in the tires, less resistance with more air, as the Mustang will not be effective.
HP would be closer for me & that is the last place I had it dynoed, so that is my vote.
I will not dyno mine, no changes yet, unless I get the FRPP Extender in and sent out to be modified and back, then installed. Hoping to get a FRPP 65 mm TB also.

Both MTI and HP have a dynojet, the only difference between the two is HP uses a weatherstation to read the temperature, and MTI does some custom tweaking to their temp settings from what I have heard

as always I'm down with either... I wann try out that new place Keith is talking about though..

:thumbsup:

Evilcartman
10-16-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Firme
Both MTI and HP have a dynojet, the only difference between the two is HP uses a weatherstation to read the temperature, and MTI does some custom tweaking to their temp settings from what I have heard

as always I'm down with either... I wann try out that new place Keith is talking about though..

Yeah, the Dyno's are the same when it comes to the roller's. Strickly and Flat Rate have the other style Dyno.

Lamar is suppose to Dyno his car in the morning. I'm interested to hear his impression of RSI.

AV8R
10-17-2002, 01:36 AM
Count me in. My vote is for MTI

Andy M
10-17-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Firme

:thumbsup: They are in fact exactly the same machines.. you are correct in that Steve uses the weatherstation to give a more accurate reading. Bottom line is... people like the readings at MTI because they tend to be higher for a given car on a given day. However, Steve's (Houston Performance) setup will give you the "real" horsepower for your car. I do agree that his printout could use some spiffing up though.

Disclaimer: I am not trying to say that MTI's dyno is no good or that HP's is better.. I am simply stating a fact that the only difference between the two is the interpretation software. And I believe the one at HP is more accurate.

Oh, and just to clarify a point made earlier concerning running on the dyno cold. Houston Performance does not run the car cold... they DO however let the car sit between runs because this gives a more accurate reading. If you run back to back the engine has developed alot of friction due to the heat buildup and will therefore read a few HP lower. HP will let the car cool down (a good thing) and then start it up, and run it at a low RPM and speed until the water and oil temps reach a safe range, then they do a WOT pull. Then shut it down, and wait for it to cool down again before doing another pull. This is the absolute best and safest way to do a dyno pull.

Just my two cents. Your mileage may vary.

Evilcartman
10-17-2002, 10:14 AM
I guess they may do it different one car at a time, because when I dyno'ed at HP, the whole process took less than 5 minutes. They did not let it cool down between runs. They didn't even turn the car off. I was there with West side and we had the group discount going, so they were trying to get the cars in and out. The first run was a cold run and the second one was a hot run.

Andy M
10-17-2002, 11:43 AM
I think the difference is when HP is doing "dyno tuning" for a custom chip, they definitely let the car cool down between runs... I know, because I was there when they did mine, and it took about 4 hours to get it all done.

However, when they do "dyno pull days" with a bunch of cars at one time, there is not enough time to do cool downs, so they just run back to back. It will not necessarily hurt your motor (only a couple of pulls) but it is certainly better to let it cool down between runs.

Firme
10-17-2002, 07:09 PM
just got off the phone with Lamar

I THINK WE SHOULD SET UP A DAY AT RSI..... emmm

why?

they did the wide band along with their dyno... and that is what Im interested in with my dyno pull.. other places like HP only do wide band A/F readout with a dyno tune...

I wanna know what my A/F is with my hp and tq

Evilcartman
10-17-2002, 08:14 PM
I have a day scheduled for a pull at RSI on the 9th HSRA. I don't know if we can get in with that group, but we can try.

Link

Firme
10-18-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Evilcartman
I have a day scheduled for a pull at RSI on the 9th HSRA. I don't know if we can get in with that group, but we can try.

Link

Keith, do you know if there is any spots left??? if so I would like to go also...

Evilcartman
10-18-2002, 01:00 PM
You can add yourself at the end of the post and see if they will put you on the Alternative list. I'm sure there will be no shows and most of the time everyone can get in.

Cmikul
10-21-2002, 09:27 PM
they did the wide band along with their dyno...

DAMN good reason!

I'll go wherever. I don't care. MTI did have more info on the sheets. I need to check out this motor and make sure it's O.K. without holes in the MAP.

Lemme know and I'll be there!

BTW: anyone know why my sig doesn't work. I keep playin with it but no worky!

97CasperCobra
10-21-2002, 10:12 PM
B/c you need to have a Cobra sig to post here. :D ;) Just kidding man. Not sure what it can be. Where's the Cobra?? :D

sbc.cobra
10-21-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Cmikul
DAMN good reason!

I'll go wherever. I don't care. MTI did have more info on the sheets. I need to check out this motor and make sure it's O.K. without holes in the MAP.

Lemme know and I'll be there!

BTW: anyone know why my sig doesn't work. I keep playin with it but no worky!

i think you have to put a "/" in the last thing...make it look like .

http://www.mustangmods.com/publish/silverwing//cmikul3.jpg

sbc.cobra
10-21-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by sbc.cobra
i think you have to put a "/" in the last thing...make it look like .

http://www.mustangmods.com/publish/silverwing//cmikul3.jpg

let's try that again...i got your SIG to pop up...i put a "/" in the last {IMG}....it looks like {/IMG} but replace the {} with [].

Firme
10-22-2002, 12:41 AM
...............BTW: anyone know why my sig doesn't work. I keep playin with it but no worky!

first off, when you go to edit you sig, on the right side of the row, make sure that [ img ] code is set to on... then put the following in your sig with out the spaces between the [ and the ] and the words

[ IMG ]http://www.mustangmods.com/publish/silverwing/cmikul3.jpg[ /IMG ]

Cmikul
10-22-2002, 10:39 AM
Thanks Scott, got it!!!!

I don't know how to make sigs. I sent Silverwing a new pic but she hasn't had time to update it. Actually, I hate to say it but I think Megan didn't know the difference in the hood, cuz she did stick the snake in there.

I've got some great pics put just need time to figure out how to make sigs.

97CasperCobra
10-22-2002, 04:04 PM
I don't know how to make sigs. I sent Silverwing a new pic but she hasn't had time to update it. Actually, I hate to say it but I think Megan didn't know the difference in the hood, cuz she did stick the snake in there.

I've got some great pics put just need time to figure out how to make sigs.

Send me some pics(sharktooth_13@yahoo.com) and what you want with them and I'll give it a shot. Can't promise anything, but you need to get that Cobra in there. :thumbsup:

Cmikul
10-30-2002, 12:13 PM
So what's up with the Dyno Day? Where? When? Who?

97CasperCobra
10-31-2002, 01:04 AM
Well, I guess this crept up on me. And I haven't really got a whole lot of response from enough people to organize this. I'll find a date later in Nov and see if we can get one nailed down. Let's do this one at MTI this time.

Evilcartman
10-31-2002, 11:46 AM
Count me in Mike. My father inlaw wants in also. I think I can come up with about 5 more people to. Let me know what day.

sbc.cobra
10-31-2002, 10:58 PM
i'm in...doesn't matter what date or time for me.

97CasperCobra
11-01-2002, 03:12 PM
Here ya go guys...a definate one. Hope you all can make it:

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/svtbbs2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2824