PDA

View Full Version : Question About Transmission Input Shaft...

Beanhead
10-19-2002, 10:26 PM
I pulled out the tranny on my Cobra today (replacing clutch), and I noticed that the input shaft on the tranny has a slight amount of play, is this normal? Personally, I think it is, but I just wanted to double check. Also, the starter has to come off to get the bellhousing off right? The Haynes manual only went so far, and didn't say anything out removing the starter....

If anyone has done this before, please let me know when you have a moment!

Thank you in advance!

Joe

http://home.swbell.net/superd68/shutup2.gif

cobrabitn
10-19-2002, 10:40 PM
Beanhead,

The starter must come off in order to take the bell housing off. A quick 15 minutes and it's off.

Your input shaft will have some movement in it but if it is excessive then you may need to replace either the front bearing of the front sleeve that covers the shaft.

If you really want to be on the safe side, let a reputable transmission shop check it for play.

Good luck with the clutch change. :thumbsup:

Beanhead
10-20-2002, 02:11 AM
Thanks a ton cobrabitn!!

The play is far from excessive, just enough to know it's barely there, so I'm pretty confident that it's all right.

And yeah, I'll get the starter off tomorrow. I removed everything but! I started getting tired and anxious, so I just stopped. When I get to that point, I risk stripping bolts because I just want to get it done, so I have to step away from it and relax a bit!

Again, thanks for the info., this is my first clutch change, so I'm treading new ground here!

:bounce:

cobrabitn
10-20-2002, 05:56 PM
Good luck, hope it came out well. :thumbsup:

Beanhead
10-22-2002, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the advice!

It did all come out well, although I lost a sweatshirt to about quart of tranny fluid that dumped on me as I was bringing it down (speed sensor hole)!

Anyhow, I was wondering, is it safe to use an impact wrench to get the flywheel off?

cobrabitn
10-22-2002, 11:32 AM
I always used a torque wrench to pull off the flywheel bolts. You also have to torque them back on too. Have someone hold the brakes and leave it in gear. You should then be able to torque them off pretty easily. ;)

Cobra-R
10-22-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by cobrabitn
I always used a torque wrench to pull off the flywheel bolts. You also have to torque them back on too. Have someone hold the brakes and leave it in gear. You should then be able to torque them off pretty easily. ;)

Just a side note, NEVER use a torque wrench to loosen bolts, it messes up the torque wrench calibration. FYI. Get a breaker bar or use the impact (to loosen, not tighten)!!

Beanhead
10-22-2002, 12:16 PM
cobrabitn,

Can't really put it in gear, the tranny is out!!!

Cobra-R,

"Just a side note, NEVER use a torque wrench to loosen bolts, it messes up the torque wrench calibration. FYI. Get a breaker bar or use the impact (to loosen, not tighten)!!"

Thanks for the tip, so I should be o.k. using an impact wrench to undo the flywheel bolts? I'm not going to mess up any internal crankshaft bearings am I?

Cobra-R
10-22-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Beanhead

Thanks for the tip, so I should be o.k. using an impact wrench to undo the flywheel bolts? I'm not going to mess up any internal crankshaft bearings am I? [/B]

Nope, you will be just fine. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
10-22-2002, 01:35 PM
Remember Beanhead, when Brian gives you advice he is....

;)

97whitevert
10-22-2002, 01:47 PM

;)

ahhh bubba... you gonna sit for that?????:eek: :eek: :eek:

Cobra-R
10-22-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by 97whitevert
ahhh bubba... you gonna sit for that?????:eek: :eek: :eek:

Of course I will from the Grand poobah. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I always show Tony the utmost respect. :)

97whitevert
10-22-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Cobra-R
Of course I will from the Grand poobah. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I always show Tony the utmost respect. :)

Glad someone does:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :rotf: :rotf:

Beanhead
10-22-2002, 03:14 PM
This is going to be quite a group I see...!

http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/moon.gif

Beanhead
10-22-2002, 10:21 PM
All right, I'm stumped!$$&%

How does one remove the pilot bearing? I have a puller, but get this, it still won't come out! Through a contraption that I don't want to explain, I attached the puller to a towing chain, and two grown men tugging on it from behind the car still couldn't pull it out!!! The bearing is clearly shot, and must come out at this point. I've soaked it in penetrating oil, and I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow afternoon. Am I going to have to torch the thing out?

Cobra-R
10-22-2002, 10:22 PM
This is going to be quite a group I see...!

http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/moon.gif

You will learn that I try and maintain a high level of professionalism in here, but as you can see, I have my work cut out for me. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

97whitevert
10-22-2002, 10:30 PM
You will learn that I try and maintain a high level of professionalism in here, but as you can see, I have my work cut out for me. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OH PULEEEEZE!! :bs::bs::bs:

ok sorry joe....we tend to get a little out o' control...so......

transmission.

there back on topic....:thumbsup: :bounce:

BOSSMAN
10-22-2002, 10:37 PM
Try packing the hole with grease then find a socket that fits snuggly in the hole. Tap the socket with a hammer and let the grease pust the bearing out. If that doesn't work get a chisel and a BFH and cut it out, but becareful not to mess up the crank.;)

Beanhead
10-22-2002, 10:43 PM
thanks BOSSMAN, to think, of all I've done so far (tranny, clutch, flywheel, rusted starter bolts, rusted exhaust bolts, etc.), that has been the TOUGHEST!

and on a side note, this looks like it's going to be quite the fun board!!!!!

http://home.kc.rr.com/turtlehead/bigun2.gif

kevin
10-22-2002, 10:55 PM

;)

yea, but in theis case he's right:thumbsup:

97whitevert
10-22-2002, 10:58 PM
thanks BOSSMAN, to think, of all I've done so far (tranny, clutch, flywheel, rusted starter bolts, rusted exhaust bolts, etc.), that has been the TOUGHEST!

yeah bossman knows his stuff....:D

and.. we're a pretty good group in person too!!:bounce: :bounce:

kevin
10-22-2002, 11:00 PM

they are actually quite boring............................not :bounce: :bounce:

you'll never get just advice from this group without them sitting back and shoot'n the breeze dooing it.

so separate the weat from the (you know what).

me on the other hand, a straight shooter that won't bs you:D

Cobra-R
10-22-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by kevin

you'll never get just advice from this group without them sitting back and shoot'n the breeze dooing it.

See what I told you?????

ps ok, who logged in under Kevins name???

97whitevert
10-22-2002, 11:13 PM

kevin kevin kevin.....now you are my DOB.. butt... i have to pull this on you too.... :bs::bs::bs:;)

now joe.... ME you can trust!!!!! really!
kevin, brian, tony and everyone else--- please don't {edit by moderator}....:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

97whitevert
10-22-2002, 11:15 PM
See what I told you?????

psok, who logged in under Kevins name???

ahhhhhh you???????:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

kevin
10-23-2002, 10:16 AM
joe, see what i mean? given the above posts:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

if you ever pull the tranny, clutch etc. from an 00r, then i can help you with tech stuff:thumbsup:

97whitevert
10-23-2002, 10:21 AM
kevin -- you are good for a few thinks, i mean things.........:rotf::rotf:

kevin
10-23-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by 97whitevert
kevin -- you are good for a few thinks, i mean things.........:rotf::rotf:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: no hangover this am fer ya?:eek:

97whitevert
10-23-2002, 10:30 AM
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: no hangover this am fer ya?:eek:
uuuuhhhh no i doon' tthink so..... just kinda tired....
wait, please stop typing soo loudly....:cool: :cool: :cool:

cobrabitn
10-23-2002, 10:44 AM
Go with Bossman's advice. That is the same way I get pilot bushings out. Grease and a socket. I also use a torque wrench to get the bolts loose. ;)

Beanhead
10-23-2002, 11:32 AM
You guys/gals are way too funny!

:rolleyes:

I'm going to try the grease thing tonight, that is if the penetrating oil that I soaked it with doesn't do anything when I attempt to pull it out again. (no dirty minds here right? After reading what what I just wrote, I couldn't help but burst out laughing!!!!)

Anyhow,

I actually came across a post somewhere, where someone said to pack the hole full of wet toilet paper instead of grease. That sounds a little too 'crackpot-ish', but hey, what do I have to lose at this point? Just out of curiosity, anyone ever try that? Or is that just garage humor that gets pulled on new mechanics?

"if you ever pull the tranny, clutch etc. from an 00r, then i can help you with tech stuff"

Boy, isn't that a problem I'd like to have!!!!!!:D

BOSSMAN
10-23-2002, 08:39 PM
Go with Bossman's advice. That is the same way I get pilot bushings out. Grease and a socket. I also use a torque wrench to get the bolts loose. ;)

Never use a torque wrench as a breaker bar unless the wrench is already broken. Also have your wrench checked each year.;)

Beanhead
10-24-2002, 12:09 AM
Crap guys, I'm really stumped on the pilot bearing! Does anyone know what kind of puller Ford uses? I can't do the stuff it with grease method anymore as the inside of the bearing has been torn appart by my attempts, and the bearing ring is bent, it just doesn't want to give up the stupid bearing!!! To boot, when I managed to get a screwdriver under the outer edge, the lip just broke off!!!! I've now spent about 4 hours on this damn bearing, is there a specific puller device for this?

Again, thanks for all your help, I'm now experiencing just about the worst case for a home mechanic.. The only way it can get any worse is if I mess up the crankshaft, and knock on wood, that's not gonna happen...

Beanhead
10-24-2002, 09:50 AM
Actually, I seem to have found a solution for my predicament, as it turns out, there seems to be a pilot bearing puller tool that will, in essence, insert hooks into the shaft, grab the bearing from behind and pull it out by using two supporting legs that can be pressed against the flywheel surface...

I just didn't think the damn thing would be so tough! Oh well, another tool to add to the collection!

Again, thank you all for your advice!

Joe
:thumbsup:

http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/prost.gif