PDA

View Full Version : Need help before I buy

Envious
10-25-2002, 10:01 PM
I need your help before I buy
I currently own a show-quality Black '94 GT but have been looking for an affordable Cobra for about 2 years now. Originally looking for a '96-'98 Black on Black Cobra because of the 305 hp. I think I may have found something. A local car dealer has a Black '95 Cobra on it's lot. It seems like a good deal, but I need some experienced Cobra owners to help me out. I hope you can - and soon! Here are the particulars I have on the vehicle:
1995 Black on Black 5.0 Cobra. Seems to be in very good condition. I took it out for a test drive and it seemed to run very nice. It felt strong and tight. The transmission shifted flawlwssly, the steering was precise & the ride was very good. The interior and paint were very good. The Mach 460 stereo seemed to work well although I didn't have a cassette or CD to try. It sounded as if, and looked like, it had an offroad h-pipe (missing rearward cats)and aftermarket mufflers. Mileage: 78,000 (which worrys me a little - should it?) The more disturbing thing was that it died on me after exiting the freeway. It fired right back up, but died at a stop light. It fired back up after a few cranks and was OK after that (what could that be all about). The dealer says they have extended bumper-to-bumper warrantys that I could elect to get, but they would check it out & let me know what's up with a disclosure they produce for prospective buyers. Price: $11,800. If I did get it, I'm going to trade my '94 GT in on it. Again mine's in excellent condition and I'm sure they'd like to have it on their lot. I apologize for being so long-winded.
I'll wait on my decision till I hear from as many of you as possible. I'd like to go back in to talk to them some more tomorrow.

Anxiously waiting for any input,
Envious in Nebraska

Black Snake
10-26-2002, 12:11 AM
How many miles are on your current GT? How many modifications do your currently have on the car? Do you plan on adding more in the future? I was in a similar situation. I owned a 93 GT and wanted to buy a 93 Cobra. At the time I was afraid to do any major modifications myself and figured the Cobra had everything that I wanted. I lucked out and found a low mile Cobra. Now donít get me wrong, I love my Cobra but there are those days when I think I should have kept the GT. Iíve done a fair amount of modifications to my car and I think I would have been ahead of the game (money wise) if I had done all of this to my GT.

With a decent set of heads and a decent intake you will be making more power than that Cobra. Upgrade the brakes and you have on heck of a ride that is in better condition than that Cobra you are looking at (Iím going by your description of your GT). There is not that much of a difference between your GT and a Cobra. I say keep your current car and build it to be better.

cobrabitn
11-01-2002, 09:21 AM
I am Cobra biased but if your GT has less miles then I probably wouldn't do it since you know more about your car then anyone else or anyone else's car. Now if you found one with less miles, maybe a one owner like I did in January of 2002 then you may consider it. Still plan to spend about another $1000.00 once you get the car.

There are some differences between the GT and the Cobra besides the obvious cosmetic stuff. Here is what I would do and should have done when I bought mine:

Check all electrical- lights, fog lights, inside lights, exterior lights, wipers, A/C, door locks and windows.

Condition of tires

Engine compartment - clean? Well taken care of?

Battery and wiring condition?

Check body alignment and look to see if it has been repainted. Question that?

condition of wheels? Are they original?

handling? sway bar?

If everything isn't to your satisfactory then I'd look for something else. Try autotrader.com, I bought my last Cobra off of it.

Hope this helps out!