PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh, I Think I Screwed Something Up...

Beanhead
10-27-2002, 07:18 PM
Well, I put the tranny back in (new clutch components, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, rear oil seal, clutch, and pressure plate), and alas, something is wrong.... Either the flywheel or clutch pressure plate is out of balance. I swear I marked the flywheel position, so could it be that the pressure plate is mounted wrong? The flywheel has 3 pegs, and I assumed (I know, I know) there was only one way you could install the pressure plate. Besides, isn't the pressure plate balanced anyway?

Gosh, I hope I didn't cause any further damage, when I turned it on for the first time, it made this "WHUP WHUP WHUP WHUP" noise and the whole car shuddered, so I IMMEDIATELY shut it off...

Any advice would be well appreciated!

:(

BOSSMAN
10-27-2002, 07:46 PM
Your fly wheel bolts will only line up one way. Check your adjustment on the clutch. It might not be disengaging the clutch totally causing some chatter.

Beanhead
10-28-2002, 11:25 AM
Thanks BOSSMAN, I'm bringing it down again.... :(

Oh, and I had an idea for a home-made tranny jack, since I see you've done a lot of work on cars on your own (or if you have a transmission jack already), you may not need this idea, but it can't hurt for me to throw it out there, just in case!

Basically, I aim to take a jigsaw to a milkcrate, and cut a big "U" shape on one of the sides, then cut a smaller "u" shape directly across on the other. Kind of like making a "cradle" for the tranny. I think the plastic is thick enough to handle the weight (without bellhousing), and the since the bottom of a milk crate is full of holes, I should be able to somehow attach it to a standard floor jack.

I'm going to give it a shot tonight, so I let all who read this know how it worked out!

Again, thanks for the advice!

http://home.swbell.net/superd68/shutup2.gif

http://home.kc.rr.com/turtlehead/bigun2.gif

Beanhead
10-29-2002, 10:41 PM
Well, I took everything back down tonight, and thankfully, nothing was damaged...

However, something is ill balanced. My flywheel has six bolts, and I'm not sure if they're "staggered". But what really gets me, is that on the surface, there are these 3 pegs that can be placed in a variety of different holes around the flywheel, now pardon my lack of experience here, but are some pressure plates balanced differently thus requiring a different peg arrangement?

kevin
10-29-2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Beanhead
Well, I took everything back down tonight, and thankfully, nothing was damaged...

However, something is ill balanced. My flywheel has six bolts, and I'm not sure if they're "staggered". But what really gets me, is that on the surface, there are these 3 pegs that can be placed in a variety of different holes around the flywheel, now pardon my lack of experience here, but are some pressure plates balanced differently thus requiring a different peg arrangement?

if you have your old one then see where the three pegs were. take the plate and circle it around till they match up. there should only be one way to fit. as stated above there should only be one way the flywheel can fit too. was the flywheel balanced? where all the bolts torqued properly in the right pattern? i'm just wondering if something along those lines is out of wack

Beanhead
10-30-2002, 11:30 AM
I think my pressure plate bolts were torqued too much... If they're too tight, what happens?

Beanhead
10-30-2002, 10:44 PM
ok, something is very wrong here.

Flywheel, check (positioned and torqued correctly, sealant on bolts)

Clutch disk, check (aligned and spring side towards tranny)

Pressure Plate, check (zero balanced, torqued correctly to 15ft-lbs)

Throw out bearing, check (mounted correctly, all points lubed on fork withing bellhousing)

Yet my clutch pedal is still travels about an inch before it picks up any resistence! It's almost as if the pressure plate fingers are 'in too deep', however the torque is correct!!!

Could spec have somehow sent me the wrong pressure plate?

Thanks again for your help!

BOSSMAN
10-30-2002, 11:02 PM
It's normal to have a slight amount of play in the pedal. Is the vibration gone?

Beanhead
10-31-2002, 09:47 AM
I haven't started it yet, but everything is just about the same. Prior to this clutch replacement, my clutch pedal had just about NO play on it, and pretty much the second you stepped on it, you felt the resistance, such is not the case here, it moves about an inch down before you start to feel the resistance.

The one thing I didn't do, was actually try and shift it into gear and drive it a bit (still on my homemade life), I just assumed when I got that noise/shaking, that I might as well keep it on the lift for repair or readjustment. I give it a shot over the weekend and see what happens...

STU
10-31-2002, 07:01 PM
Have you trieds lifting up on the pedal with your toe and depressing the clutch a few times to see if it will self adjust?

Beanhead
11-01-2002, 09:26 AM
Thanks for your perspectives. As it turns out, here's what appears to happen:

When you install the clutch and pressure plate, you usually use the alignment tool to hold the clutch disc in place while you torque the bolts on the pressure plate, then you take it out. Afterwards, you install the bellhousing, and attach the clutch cable back onto the end of the fork. Well, if you're like me, at that point, you go into the car and hit the pedal a few times, just to check to see if all is ok. Well, I guess when you do that, since the tranny input shaft is not there to "hold" the clutch disc, and if you've taken out the alignment tool after torquing the pressure plate, the clutch disc can easily shift position, and thus, be thrown out of alignment.

So, my big mistake was "forcing" the transmission input shaft in when the disc was slightly out of alignment. It slid just about all the way in with ease, then stopped an inch short of beging able to bolt the tranny onto the bellhousing, so I tightened it together (I know I know, I shouldn't have, but it was my first shot!)

So, in the end, I took all apart again, put it back together with time and care, and viola, the pedal is now rock solid, and I have a feeling it's going to see some pavement this weekend!!!

cobrabitn
11-01-2002, 10:07 AM
Great job Beanhead! ;)

kevin
11-01-2002, 11:02 AM
glad ya figured it out:thumbsup:

Beanhead
11-01-2002, 11:29 AM
Hey, thanks guys!!!!!

I just have to get this patience thing down!!!

"http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/prost.gif"