PDA

View Full Version : ? For Tom Crews

BlownCobraVert
11-01-2002, 11:10 PM
Tom,

Were the shorty headers a pain in the rump to install? Did you do it and if so did you have any problems? Thanks.........

tcrews
11-02-2002, 10:16 AM
I have a friend who's a mechanic and has his own backyard shop with powertools and a lift, he did the install for me.

Pain? Yes, there is not a lot of room to work with and it can be frustrating on some of the bolts/areas....

I had heard all kinds of horror stories about how long it takes and how difficult, etc... but we had it done in three hours...from driving on the lift to driving off the lift.

My mechanic attacked as much as he could from the top, we raised the car and started attacking from the bottom. The best way is to raise the car, use an engine brace to support the engine, disconnect the motor mounts and then slightly lower the car about 2 inches (effectively raising the engine). It allows you access to slip the stock manifolds off and install the shorties. We used the stock studs that the manifolds were attached to because they'll hold better than the cheap bolts that come with the FMS headers. With a '98 the air-pump tubes are not going to match up so you have to do some bending/welding or something to make them connect. You can always eliminate them by plugging the holes on the headers and removing the air-pump in the passenger-side fender-well. You'll get a check-engine light though....but a chip can help turn that off. You'll need to leave the wiring harness connected, just remove the pump.

Hope that helps......