PDA

View Full Version : Modular engine removal

smashedheadcat
11-05-2002, 07:12 PM
I know my car's picture is very rare. Not many people know what it looks like. Here's a picture of my car on labor day. This was the first day in almost 10 months the car seen sunlight!!

smashedheadcat
11-05-2002, 07:15 PM
As you can see: my driveway was packed with hotrods that day. 1996 vette w/N20, 1998 GT, my cobra, and the 2000 GT in the previous pic. The only car that rests in that residence is the cobra. The rest are my friends'.

smashedheadcat
11-05-2002, 07:18 PM
Here's the beast early Saturday. :)

smashedheadcat
11-05-2002, 07:21 PM
Just a different view.

smashedheadcat
11-05-2002, 07:23 PM
So there's me..... about to get my feet wet, my hands dirty, and the motor out. (don't make fun of my scrawny self please:D)

smashedheadcat
11-05-2002, 07:26 PM
After getting everything disconnected, (motor mounts, tons of wires/hoses, trans crossmember yada yada yada, i decided the best thing to do was to just lift it slowly, and check for any clearance issues, and disconnect everything in the way. Here she is on the way out. Headers still on if ya care. :doubt:

smashedheadcat
11-05-2002, 07:31 PM
Here's my best friend. His name's Josh as well. (owner of the NOS'd 96 vette). You know you've got a good friend when he'll help tackle this project for the small price of a 6 pack of Coors.... :D:D:D The job of the headers turned out to look to be easy there. It was, but there are a few bolts that just aren't meant to come out without a fight.

smashedheadcat
11-05-2002, 07:32 PM
He's gettin frustrated. :rotf:

smashedheadcat
11-05-2002, 07:34 PM
It's times like these when ya question yourself about whether or not the long tubes are worth it................ SURE ARE!!

me having a moment of truth with one of bbk's most difficult things to work with.

smashedheadcat
11-05-2002, 07:36 PM
So with the headers out of the way... i started to come up with the motor. (trans attached). I just kept moving it fwd and up just to make sure nothing else was holding it back. I's also debating whether or not to keep the two married.

smashedheadcat
11-05-2002, 07:38 PM
Ended up seperating the two, and there ya have it. Motor's out, i'm dirty, tired, excited, and scratched up pretty good too.

smashedheadcat
11-05-2002, 07:39 PM
Ya can't expect me not to put the headers back on for a beautification pic can ya???

smashedheadcat
11-05-2002, 07:45 PM
More pics by request if need be..... I'll just toss some things out here for everyone. If you notice how i put the chain(s) around the motor, it probably wasn't the safest way to do it. I had for awhile just the front supported with the chains, and a jack under the trans. I had to do this because i had to get the front up of the engine up so i could get the longtubes over the K-member before i came fwd with it. I did have 2 seperate chains by the end of the removal which made the engine sit more level. Definately needed the 2 for pulling the engine out without damaging the car.

Ken 01-Cobra
11-05-2002, 08:44 PM
Yeah! It's out! Now the fix begins, then the fin of putting it back in! ;) Nice work guys!

cobrabitn
11-06-2002, 10:02 AM
Cool... You look just like me, always forgetting to put the elastic gloves on the hands. I never remember to do that and spend a week with dirty fingernails. ;) Keep us posted!

Ken 01-Cobra
11-06-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by cobrabitn
Cool... You look just like me, always forgetting to put the elastic gloves on the hands. I never remember to do that and spend a week with dirty fingernails. ;) Keep us posted!
Errr, I've SEEN you Tony! He is taller, and skinnier! ;)
(ducking and running...) :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Mystic_Cobra
11-06-2002, 12:11 PM
Forgive me if I missed it somewhere, but why are we pulling the motor? Surely not to polish the headers? :rotf:

smashedheadcat
11-06-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Ken 01-Cobra
Errr, I've SEEN you Tony! He is taller, and skinnier! ;)
(ducking and running...) :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Chicks dig the tall-n-skinny:rotf:

smashedheadcat
11-06-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Mystic_Cobra
Forgive me if I missed it somewhere, but why are we pulling the motor? Surely not to polish the headers? :rotf:

Refer to thread "May have to retire" in this forum. Headers are already beautiful enough for me. :rotf:

johnbasf
11-06-2002, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the pics Josh, good luck!!

cobrabitn
11-06-2002, 06:10 PM
Ken, you left out that he is much younger too. ;)

Ken 01-Cobra
11-06-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by cobrabitn
Ken, you left out that he is much younger too. ;)
Heheh...but then it would apply to ME! ;)

smashedheadcat
11-18-2002, 11:50 PM
Alrighty. Here's an update from the "Wizards" in Benson. Turns out that all the main bearings held up, which is good. The block escapes unharmed. (Thank goodness) The oil pump and oil gears are unharmed and reusable. As luck would have it, the #4 rod bearing let go. I didn't think to ask them what could'a caused the problem, but here's what it's gonna take to get her up and running. NEW crank (they "Don't cut a crank in a high horsepower application.), 1 SHM rod, and rod/main bearings. So, it could'a been a heck'uva lot worse, but definately could've been better. They said they'll call me with a pretty accurate estimate on everything in a few days.

BadMoFo
11-26-2002, 11:44 AM
so while your waiting with nothing to do want to install my long tubes?:D glad to here everything is coming togther.

smashedheadcat
11-27-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by BadMoFo
so while your waiting with nothing to do want to install my long tubes?:D glad to here everything is coming togther.

I certainly will help you with them. Just give me a call. How's next weekend sound to you???