PDA

View Full Version : To all Saturday Drag Day participants

JoeCobra99
11-06-2002, 12:38 PM
Hey all, Some of you know me some of you don't. Due to work requirements I will miss this Saturday's drag day. This will be the first one I've missed since the very first one I came up with and coordinated for the club three years ago as the original SE SCMC rep (now retired). This event sure has evolved since that first one which was simply a handful of guys from our club making single lane runs against the clock. For many of us, me included, this was the first time we had ever done anything like this. Since then, I have managed to take home a couple of trophies at subsequent Jackson events, and of course, always manage do this to Tony at least once or twice at each event :D (See Video)

http://home.carolina.rr.com/fillmer/cobra/joevstony2.mpeg

Anyway, I'm totally bummed about not being able to make it, and I'll be thinking about you guys on Saturday. Congrats to all of you and especially Tony for the growth and enthusiasm of this club. Having personally worked with Tony on various events over the years, I can tell you that no one has more passion for anything than he has for this club and he pours a lot of time and energy into it behind the scenes. Please take a minute to let him know you appreciate it this Saturday. For you first timers, this is going to be a blast for you. Just take it easy until you get the feel of it. The butterflies will be gone after a run or two. To all of you, I wish you great COOL weather, good traction and a great time!

:thumbsup:

cobrabitn
11-06-2002, 01:25 PM
Thanks Joe! You are the reason many of us including myself work so hard and you will always be a special member to me. Thanks for always being there when I was down and rejoicing with me when I was up. I really miss you and Channing a lot. I hope you can make the Spring event so we can carry on with our tradition. Maybe this time I can win an award since you won't be there...lol. :rotf:

I guess I 'll have to keep Paul (Corner Carver)for a while so he can help me out at the track!:)

BTW, that video sucks.....J/K!

Cheers!

redsnake99
11-06-2002, 04:27 PM
It's great to hear form you again, Joe. Hope all is going well, or at least better than expected.

Here's hoping you can jump back into the Cobra fray at a future time.

:D

Black Snake
11-06-2002, 11:04 PM
Joe Iím disappointed. I was all set for the picture. :D

I almost had to work this weekend also, so I know how you feel. My car is still down (almost put back together) so Iím just spectating this time.

Hope things are going well on your end.

JoeCobra99
11-07-2002, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Black Snake
Joe Iím disappointed. I was all set for the picture. :D

LOL! Rob, thanks for reminding me!

http://home.carolina.rr.com/fillmer/cobra/index_files/image034.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys. There is a very long shot chance that I might make it. If my customer were to cancel their network migration this weekend, I can come. Unfortunately they are not going to make their final decision on go/no-go until late Friday night.

cobrabitn
11-07-2002, 10:55 AM
I gotta beat that dang 13.30 and with you not there, I may be able to enjoy the spotlight for four months. ;)

sn8kbit
11-07-2002, 11:42 AM
i'll be in the same boat, if i make it down, and it's looking like i should be able to, i'll be a spectator meself. it'd be good to see ya again joe, if you make it....

stylin99
11-07-2002, 04:51 PM
Sorry ya can't be there Joe. I really enjoyed our bracket race against each other in the semi-finals last time. :D Very close race.
Hope to see ya down there in the spring.

Does anyone know if Tom Lewis coming down to this one for videoing? I always love to see the videos he takes of this thing.

sn8kbit
11-07-2002, 07:52 PM
woohoo, worked it out, i'll be there, watching but i'll be there. now i gotta get directions.....is it straight to the strip or is everyone meeting at MGW again?

97whitevert
11-07-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by sn8kbit
woohoo, worked it out, i'll be there, watching but i'll be there. now i gotta get directions.....is it straight to the strip or is everyone meeting at MGW again?

ALL RIGHT!!!!!!!
Track Steve, no MGW.... How are you coming in and why won't ya run??????? :(

sn8kbit
11-07-2002, 08:15 PM
ton of licensing fees and insurance down payments for the new company. i should be "official" by monday (although i was hoping for tomorrow...)
i remember a little about how to get there, basically hit 20 east. i just have to remember which exit goes to the track. i think i remember the rest...

redsnake99
11-07-2002, 09:39 PM
On the main SCMC site follow the events and there's a link to the Carolina dragway site. That has maps and directions.
Ya bringing Chelle and "double A ron"?

:D

sn8kbit
11-07-2002, 09:48 PM
chelle and double A will be at mom's in canton GA, dad and i are going tho. i am bringing several photos of da baby do.....LOL

97whitevert
11-07-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by sn8kbit
chelle and double A will be at mom's in canton GA, dad and i are going tho. i am bringing several photos of da baby do.....LOL

Cool bring pics!!!!! the real thing is better but pics will be great!

i think exit 5 is the one... but that is just trying to 'member... check the site for sure. you can take mine doem if ya don't mind the girly car.......:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

sn8kbit
11-07-2002, 10:12 PM
found it, exit 1. i saw the map and 'membered the rest......

see you guys on sat morning round 10 i guess.....

cobrabitn
11-08-2002, 07:06 AM
Steve,

Come to exit 5 and meet us there at 9:30 am. Then we can all caravan down there together. Why can't you bring the Cobra with you? :confused:

97whitevert
11-08-2002, 08:47 AM
I think Tony, that mustangs and baby seats do not work well together....:eek::eek:

cobrabitn
11-08-2002, 09:00 AM
Um, they have special places on the backseat to hold a baby seat in place. If I know Steve, and I think I do, he would have wished he brought the Snake with him. :evil:

97whitevert
11-08-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by cobrabitn
Um, they have special places on the backseat to hold a baby seat in place. If I know Steve, and I think I do, he would have wished he brought the Snake with him. :evil:

well i know from experience that they really do not work well at all.... the front pass. seat must be all the way forward and straight up, NOT a good place for anyone to ride....:eek: :eek:

Ken 01-Cobra
11-08-2002, 11:16 AM
Thought some of you drag racers might enjoy this...we are but mere lightweights in the game:

* One dragster's 500-inch Hemi makes more horsepower than the first 8 rows at Daytona.

* Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1 Ĺ gallons of nitro per second, the same rate of fuel consumption as a fully loaded 747 but with 4 times the energy volume.

* The supercharger takes more power to drive then a stock hemi makes.

* Even with nearly 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into nearly-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock.

* Dual magnetos apply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

* At stoichiometric (exact) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture (for nitro), the flame front of nitromethane measures 7050 degrees F.

* Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, diassociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After Ĺ way, the engine is dieseling from compression-plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting of it's fuel flow.

* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in those cylinders and then explodes with a force that can blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or blow the block in half.

* Dragsters twist the crank (torsionally) so far (20 degrees in the big end of the track) that sometimes cam lobes are ground offset from front to rear to re-phase the valve timing somewhere closer to synchronization with the pistons.

* To exceed 300mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate at an average of over 4G's. But in reaching 200 mph well before Ĺ track, launch acceleration is closer to 8G's.

* Drivers shut off before the finish line, or even dual parachutes will not stop the car.

* If all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs $1000.00 per second.

* Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have read this sentence.

I would love to ride THAT ride! :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
11-08-2002, 01:29 PM
We are now giving away a $100.00 gift certificate from Team Ford (Thanks to Ken for making this happen) and $50.00 from Next Generation Parts. Good luck to the winners! ;)

sn8kbit
11-08-2002, 09:45 PM
exit 5? i will be in the cobra, are you talking the Ga side or SC side? can't promise ya 9:30, but we should be in the area close to then. when you guys hit 5, call me at 615-516-6497, i'm already in a'town.....see ya'll tomorrow...

cobrabitn
11-08-2002, 10:42 PM
SC side Steve! ;)

97whitevert
11-08-2002, 10:44 PM
i got his number tony!!!