PDA

View Full Version : Shocks?!? help me decide

Mystic_Cobra
11-11-2002, 10:36 PM
I know that springs are rated in lbs to determine stiffness. I also know that you need a better (stronger?) shock to handle the rebound and compression of a stiff spring.
Is there a numerical way to determine which shock(s) are strong enough to handle the rebound of a given spring?
I am still planning to go with H&R Race springs. I want the best bang for the buck in my set of shocks.

The way I see it, my choices are:
MM Race Bilsteins - $800/set Con: cost
Koni SA Yellow - $625/set Con: durability ??
Bilstein HD - $550/set Con: strength ??
Tokico 5-way - $470/set Con: adjustments
03 Bilsteins - $200/set Con: strength ??

I'm still looking for help from the pros!
I will keep driving it daily and plan to do several track events per year.
thanks!

redsnake99
11-11-2002, 11:09 PM
I can report on my 5-way Tokikos I have on the front of my 99 Convertible. For track events, I set them up firm, a 5 setting. Adjustable at the top of the strut, easy to do. For everyday driving, set on 2, for enough comfort.

I'm still searching for the best adjustable for the rear with my IRS suspension.

:D

SIUNARA
11-12-2002, 03:17 PM
I have the H&R race springs with Bilstein HD's on our Cobra and the ride is nice both on the track and on the street. For $550 I don't believe you'll find a better shock/strut combo. The Tokico's aren't bad, but when you adjust them, you adjust the comp. and rebound at the same time, not ideal for the track. I've also heard many people say they won't last nearly as long as the Bilstein's. Check with John P. and Bryan Shugg, they both use the Tokico's. MM told me that the race valved Bilstein's would be great matched up with the race springs...a little stiffer ride on the street, but not out of hand in their opinion. Hope that helps you out. Probably just confused you more!! ;) :)

Mystic_Cobra
11-12-2002, 03:29 PM
Only marginally more confused. :)

MM suggested their race-valved Bilsteins, but there's no way I'm paying $800 for a set of shocks. If the HD units can do the job and last me a couple years, than my decision is made.

SIUNARA
11-12-2002, 11:46 PM
I believe they will do just fine for you. Like I said, for $550, you won't find a better shock/strut combo IMO. Too bad I didn't know you were pondering the purchase when I saw you at Summit, you could have taken the Cobra for a ride. :)

Mystic_Cobra
11-13-2002, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the offer. I plan to have a new setup by the next event in February, but I'm always willing to go for a ride!

"Check with John P. and Bryan Shugg, they both use the Tokico's. "

John, Bryan, where are you guys?!?

svt_coupe
11-13-2002, 07:23 PM
No doubt that Koni and Bilstein make a stellar shock. The monotube race-valved Bilsteins are a super trick, hassle free shock. The Koni DA's are the way to go for a true race car. However, you gotta weigh the intended use.

I've used the Tokico 5-ways for quite some time without any problems. They can't handle the stiffer springs (850+ lbs conventional, 400-450+ lbs coilover) so that is something to think about. If you are planning on getting some super stiff springs, shy away from these. I use a 700-850 lbs conventional front spring and they've been fine. However, with a stiffer spring, they won't last.

As far as matching the spring rates to the shocks. Keep in mind that the stiffer spring you go, the less life you'll get out of the shock. My shocks are just now on the way out the door and they have about 40,000 road miles and 5,000-7,000 (??) track miles. No doubt the Tokico is a good choice.

BUT, for all out performance, Koni or Bilstein is the way. Bilstein supposedly last longer than Tokicos. Koni's can be rebuilt by Koni(but you better be preparred to wait 1-3 months). The Koni DA's are great, but getting them adjusted correctly (for each and every track, compression and rebound) is difficult. The Bilsteins are not adjustable, but you eliminate the hassle of trying to get the Koni's fine tuned (or tuned at all, for that matter).

I suppose this really confuses things now. :)

svt_coupe
11-13-2002, 07:26 PM
PS - do a search on the corral for Bilstein and Koni and look for any of "Skankin" 's posts. He seems to have done his homework with this stuff.

OR, if you want, call MM and ask them about their shocks for intended use (they carry them all...). Tell them I say "hi" if you do... :D

fastoldman
11-21-2002, 11:27 AM
Save yourself alot of time and call Paul Brown at HP Motorsports ---- (402) 731-7301. There are very few folks in the country with his expertise with Mustangs for track use. He campaigned heavily for 3 years in World Challenge Series, and was usually the number 1 Cobra driver. He will treat you right ( price wise ) and can save you alot of time from buying applications that don't work. You will notice HP's ads in alot of Ford and Mustang Periodicals ( Paul is Kenny Brown's son) ,but Paul's biggest advantage is his immense amount of track time and developement with the Fox chassis.

Sincerely,
Bill Pemberton

tgentry
11-21-2002, 12:31 PM
The 2000 R Bilstein struts can be found at a good price. Unfortunatley for us stick axle folks we can't use the R shocks.

I like mine, but I might change to something else in order to have more coil-over options.

b_tone
11-21-2002, 01:32 PM
I have a set of Penske shocks/struts that are infinately adjustable, revalvable, on linear and roller bearings a complete full on race type of set up....but the price is quite high. Let me know.

These are for coil over though.