PDA

View Full Version : Tom, 302 Focus


redsnake99
11-18-2002, 11:24 PM
Speedchannel tonight, Hot Rod TV, someone put a 5.0 crate motor with rear wheel drive in a Focus. Looked, sounded and ran great! Only took him 9 months to figure everything out.

So, an idea for Tom Lewis.....put your Cobra engine in the Focus and ..................................

:bounce: :bounce:

kevin
11-19-2002, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by redsnake99
Speedchannel tonight, Hot Rod TV, someone put a 5.0 crate motor with rear wheel drive in a Focus. Looked, sounded and ran great! Only took him 9 months to figure everything out.

So, an idea for Tom Lewis.....put your Cobra engine in the Focus and ..................................

:bounce: :bounce:

oh dave. now ya got him thinking of where to strip weight to oggset the weight of the engine (is there that much excess in one of those?):eek: :rotf:

98banana
11-19-2002, 04:35 AM
Y'all laugh! I told Hoover not to say anything, but I already asked if it would be legal in AI. Then I had to get him to stop laughing.

Dave, I saw the same show. Was it not a trip to hear that sound from a Focus. BAD!!!

I actually heard about the swap a few months back. The company is Kugel Komponents (http://www.kugelkomponents.com) . It looks to be a pretty sound engineering job. The car actually improves it's weight balance and only gains about 300 lbs putting it at 2900 total. If you look through their site, you'll see a picture of a 32V motor in a Focus.

Here's another one...

kevin
11-19-2002, 11:08 AM
tom, i'm not EVEN going to ask why they display a wagon with it:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :eek:

and the answer to your ai question? (assuming hoov's done laughing);) :D

98banana
11-19-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by kevin
tom, i'm not EVEN going to ask why they display a wagon with it:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :eek:

and the answer to your ai question? (assuming hoov's done laughing);) :D

I'll need to refer to the e-mail he sent me, but the answer was not "no". It was more of a "doubtful".

It would be funny though to kick a bunch of Mustang butt with a Focus! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Uh oh... was that smack talk I just heard??? :eek:

COBRA #17
11-19-2002, 03:51 PM
YOU HAVE TOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS !!!! Tom!!
You need to get busy building your car for next year and get your mind off of thees crazy thoughts!!! the answer is NO!!! It has to keep the stock suspensioon pic ups and be readily available to the public!!!!
SORRY!!!! :( :cussing:

You thought I laughed at you, you should have heard Dan when I told him!!!!!:rotf:
He has also had a guy ask him if he could race a truck next year too!!:rotf:
The sad part is he was told it was OK by Chris C. :doubt:
ANYWAY , GET BUSY !!!!:thumbsup:

AI EAST ASST DIRECTOR
COBRA#17

98banana
11-19-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by COBRA #17
...
You thought I laughed at you, you should have heard Dan when I told him!!!!!:rotf:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Originally posted by COBRA #17
He has also had a guy ask him if he could race a truck next year too!!:rotf:


If it was a lightning, then I could picture that before a Focus.

wildhorsesracin
12-04-2002, 09:28 PM
Actually I believe the Focus fails on the 101" wheelbase rule!!

Otherwise there would be Pinto wagons out there with us too!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

NO 5 OH
12-04-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by 98banana
Y'all laugh! I told Hoover not to say anything, but I already asked if it would be legal in AI. Then I had to get him to stop laughing.

Dave, I saw the same show. Was it not a trip to hear that sound from a Focus. BAD!!!

I actually heard about the swap a few months back. The company is Kugel Komponents (http://www.kugelkomponents.com) . It looks to be a pretty sound engineering job. The car actually improves it's weight balance and only gains about 300 lbs putting it at 2900 total. If you look through their site, you'll see a picture of a 32V motor in a Focus.

Tuneing in to the scene of "my world" so to speak... there's a guy by the name of "Turbo" Joe Morgan that has a Focus similar to that one, except it has a Turbo 2.3L in it, and was converted to rear wheel drive as well. I can't remember if it's a wagon or a sedan... but it is definitely a four door quarter mile drag machine. Last time I heard about it running it was well in the 9's in the 1/4 on the gas :D :D

Think Tom... would a 2300 in a Mustang be legit for AI ;) ;)

Dean95CobraR
12-05-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by COBRA #17
the answer is NO!!! It has to keep the stock suspension pic ups and be readily available to the public!!!!


AI EAST ASST DIRECTOR
COBRA#17

This is not necessarily true is it? That would mean that a Torque Arm would not be legal. Also what about the Griggs World Challenge rear control arms? I am attempting to get my old torque boxes cut out so I can install the new LCAs. I won't do it if the new arms won't be legal.

COBRA #17
12-05-2002, 02:49 PM
The WC CA's are legal.

The reason the pinto is illegal is the wheel bse. The pinto wagon is illegal is it is a wagon not a sedan!! The focus is illegal because it is not available to the public with a 302 it is also a hatchback not a sedan!!! I'm not sure of the wheelbase of the focus??

SORRY GUYS !!!:thumbsup:


AI EAST ASST DIRECTOR
COBRA #17

b_tone
12-05-2002, 04:10 PM
Hoov- my car is not a sedan, it's a hatchback is it legal?

Nothing about the torque arm/panhard keeps the same pickup points, if it did it would not be a torque arm/panhard rod setup.

A 99 mustang with a 302 (like Ihara's A/S car) is not legal on the same basis as it did not come with a 302.

Dan's car is illegal because he has world challenge control arms and they do not use the OEM pickup points.

to take it to another extreme is a home designed true 3 link legal? I say yes as every part can be purchased from Coleman and built into the setup. Is this an off the shelf system, yes and no. Yes being that you can buy everything you need except the brain power to make it work, but some may say no because it's not sold as a 'kit'.

If someone wanted to prove a point they would build or modify their pinto/truck/focus to the AI rules and then come out and race Big Bore and show the AI folks that they cannot keep up. That is how to prove your point....

Dean, what's your phone number I need to call you.

Brian

Dean95CobraR
12-05-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by b_tone
Dean, what's your phone number I need to call you.

Brian


Brian - Call me at work tomorrow - 800 348-9500 Ext. 1793

racercosmo
12-22-2002, 07:22 PM
John Lindsey and I personally measured the wheelbase of a Focus at Willow Springs when I asked him the question about AI legality. The Focus actually has a longer wheelbase than a Mustang at 103", it's the same for all body types. He said he would let it run on character alone.

johnbasf
12-22-2002, 08:03 PM
Welcome Cosmo. Since I can't post on the CC.com site I look forward to your input here.

svt_coupe
12-22-2002, 10:53 PM
Yeah Cos... welcome. Good to see you hear.

racercosmo
12-23-2002, 12:29 AM
Thank you.

Dean95CobraR
12-23-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by johnbasf
Welcome Cosmo. Since I can't post on the CC.com site I look forward to your input here.


What happened John, did you get banned during the "Official CC.com Zero Tolerance Week"?:D :rotf:

johnbasf
12-23-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Dean95CobraR
What happened John, did you get banned during the "Official CC.com Zero Tolerance Week"?:D :rotf:

I really don't know what happened? I have to keep putting my password in then it won't let me post.

wildhorsesracin
12-23-2002, 05:25 PM
johnbasf quote: I really don't know what happened? I have to keep putting my password in then it won't let me post.

Sounds like a personal problem to me!!! :jk:

Dean95CobraR
12-24-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by wildhorsesracin
johnbasf quote: I really don't know what happened? I have to keep putting my password in then it won't let me post.

Sounds like a personal problem to me!!! :jk:


:eek: :eek: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

johnbasf
12-24-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by wildhorsesracin
johnbasf quote: I really don't know what happened? I have to keep putting my password in then it won't let me post.

Sounds like a personal problem to me!!! :jk:

I miss you too Jim,