PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Hood Blanket?

Bartman01
12-05-2002, 11:17 PM
My hood blanket is filthy. Is there a way to clean it? If the answer is "paint it", I may end up buying a second one and swap out for any shows (or after my car is not a daily driver). Driving in Houston rain = not good for hood blanket appearance.

Levi
12-05-2002, 11:21 PM
Try some semply green, I think that is what its called.

Edmond remember you said something about this cleaning of the engine? Could you use this for Bart needs.

Firme
12-05-2002, 11:27 PM
never tried it on hood blanket

but here

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/svtbbs2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2495

the CD-2

Levi
12-05-2002, 11:45 PM
Thanks Edmond for pointing use in the right direction.

The brain is not like it was when :retard: what where we talking about.

97CasperCobra
12-06-2002, 12:33 AM
I'd be a little "weary" cleaning the hood blanket. When I cleaned mine, using soap & water(bad mistake), the fibers in the blanket seem to stand out more now. You may have better luck just spraying it with paint, I don't know. If you look up how much the blankets are, let me know, I need one too. Good luck, sorry I couldn't help out. :(

sbc.cobra
12-06-2002, 08:59 AM
i did some checking a while back and if i remember correctly, the hood blankets for my car were about $80.

cobrapace94
12-06-2002, 09:31 AM
My hood blanket was in bad shape (after 100k miles) and spraying water on it didn't help and actually made it worrse. I removed it and used some flat black high temp spray paint. It turned out good and makes it easier to clean, the paint makes it not as porous and water doesn't get in it as bad.
Or just buy a new one.

cobltng
12-06-2002, 11:32 AM
Simple green is highly acidic use care with this stuff on anything.
Buy a new Insulator ( that is what they really are). Latemodel Restoration Supply In Waco,Tx. has the best prices.1-866 50 Resto or www.50resto.com They also include the black plastic fasteners That you will likely break 1 or 2 whilst removing the old Insulator

crazy horse gt
12-07-2002, 02:11 AM
if you use an air nozzle to blow off the dirt, would that help, mine is in good shape but dirty, then i want to paint it, thank's

Topless In Tex
12-07-2002, 02:24 AM
Ya, I'm real leary about Simple Green after seeing what it did to my wire cover thingies...they disinegrated(SP???) Blowing and brushing the dirt off is a good idea....and what i do to mine, which I got this info from WhiteSnake....BLACK SHOE POLISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WORKS LIKE A CHAMP!!!!!!!!!!!! After you get it cleaned enough, use the black shoepolish that squeezes out on a spongy applicator. Ive done it MANY times to my car before shows...IT WORKS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) PROLLY need to do it again now! Makes the black deeper and makes it look new again! :)
:banana:TNT:banana:

crazy horse gt
12-07-2002, 02:28 AM
so it work's better than paint? i was wanting to make my runnin pony a different color, just asking, a 69 stang & this 2k are a whole different world for me.

Topless In Tex
12-07-2002, 02:34 AM
BTW...Steve has a 'spare' hood blanket if anyone wants one....its in excellent shape...it was supposed to be mine, and i had Chuck paint the Pony...hes got eyelashes!!!! :rolleyes: so.... a little paint over the pony will go a long way....of corse this is to a '94...so dont know if anyone needs one, but hes got it if anyone needs it! :p
:banana:TNT:banana:

cobrabitn
12-07-2002, 01:35 PM
What's a hood blanket? :confused:

msmap
12-07-2002, 01:45 PM
Silly, it's the black thingy that keeps your engine warm when you close it's hood!!!

cobrabitn
12-07-2002, 09:16 PM
Are you saying it's the insulation underneath the hood Sherri? I never heard of it called that??? :confused:

cobrapace94
12-08-2002, 12:18 AM
Yes it is the insulation on the underside of the hood..
What do Carolinans call it?

cobrabitn
12-08-2002, 11:48 AM
Hood insulation....lol. :rotf:

msmap
12-08-2002, 12:06 PM
Welp, us all Teaxans calls it the hood blanket!!!

cobrabitn
12-09-2002, 01:34 AM
Sorry y'all. I better call it hood blanket too now or the Little lady with the big stick will get after me :run:

msmap
12-09-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by cobrabitn
Sorry y'all. I better call it hood blanket too now or the Little lady with the big stick will get after me :run:

:spanked:

94 White Snake
12-10-2002, 08:02 PM
Like CC said the shoe polish worked for me until I had put on the R- hood and now it is painted black to make it look like a blanket.
And I'm sure all of you guys know why the blanket is there right? and no it is not to keep the engine warm:eek:

Not only do I have a blanket I have a stock hood off of my 94 Cobra that I would like to give a new home for a small price. And of course the color is White. This is the same hood that was also used on the 94-95 GT's
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce
White Snake (Steve)

cobrabitn
12-11-2002, 12:11 PM
I always thought it was there in case the engine caught on fire? It would not burn through the hood or it was there to help to put out a fire? Sound deadener too?

msmap
12-11-2002, 02:51 PM
[i]And I'm sure all of you guys know why the blanket is there right? and no it is not to keep the engine warm:eek:
White Snake (Steve) [/B]

Ummm, yes it is and what Tony said and to smother the fire ;)

Bartman01
12-11-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by msmap
Ummm, yes it is and what Tony said and to smother the fire ;)

I have seen several car fires - started in the engine, and the hood blanket didn't seem to help much. I would guess it is primarly there for sound deadening.

Bartman01
12-11-2002, 08:44 PM
Back to the topic :)...

Originally posted by Topless In Tex
use the black shoepolish that squeezes out on a spongy applicator.

I'll have to give that a shot. I hit the Pathfinder's hood blanket with some simple green when cleaning it's engine a while back. It didn't seem to help all that much - and I dont' think it appreciated getting that wet.