PDA

View Full Version : Question about chips

blk96cobra
12-09-2002, 11:48 AM
I have a question about when to put a chip in my car. Should I get one before I do any mods or after some mods? Also can some chips recal the speedo after I put 4.10's in? Thanks for anyone's advice!!!

Tim

Ken 01-Cobra
12-09-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by blk96cobra
I have a question about when to put a chip in my car. Should I get one before I do any mods or after some mods? Also can some chips recal the speedo after I put 4.10's in? Thanks for anyone's advice!!!

Tim
Your best bet is to chip it after the mods, and the chip (at least the Diablo) can compensate for the gears. It is doing so for my 4.30's. It just took a while to get it right! ;) In the interim, I put a lot less miles on my car! :D (They had overcompensated on the first burn)

tcrews
12-09-2002, 06:14 PM
A chip should be considered after consideralbe mods, otherwise you won't see much (if any) gains.

No, a chip can NOT compensate for your gear change. You'll need an electronic compensator or a mechanical one (Abbott ERA, Speedcal, or such).

Only '99 and up computers have anything to do with the speedometer and guessing by your userid I'd say you have a '96. Anything prior to '99 will not be able to use a chip for speedometer corrections.

Hope that helps.

Ken 01-Cobra
12-09-2002, 07:00 PM
Oops...missed that Tom! Thanks for cleaning up after me! ;)

blk96cobra
12-11-2002, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the advice! Yes I have a '96 Cobra, sorry, I forgot to tell you.

Tim