PDA

View Full Version : Texas World Speedway - Let's go have some fun!

cobrabitn
12-16-2002, 02:42 PM
The SCMC will have an open track event at Texas World Speedway at College Station, Texas on August 23-24, 2003.

This event will consist of two days of open track at this well known facility.

For more information on this event check our website at www.svtcobraclub.com/mainpage.html or e-mail Mike at sharktooth_76@hotmail.com

Registration forms will be on the South Central Website at www.svtmustangcobraclub.com

If you plan to go, post here! :thumbsup:

Levi
12-16-2002, 02:45 PM
Yes.:thumbsup:

Firme
12-16-2002, 03:12 PM
I'm interested depending on how much it is and if I can wing it..

97CasperCobra
12-16-2002, 03:14 PM
I supposed I'll make it out for this event. :p

Hope to see everyone there, even if you're not running your car. Should be an AWESOME time!! :thumbsup:

Bingo13
12-16-2002, 03:42 PM
I will be there providing my car is still running. ;)

Bartman01
12-16-2002, 10:54 PM
I'm there.

Suggestion for the "sign up" page. Post info on what needs to be done to prep the car, what equipment is required/recommended, and suggestions on what to bring. And total cost to budget for (prep, tires, brakes, incidentals, etc).

For some of us (probably myself included) it will be the first open track event in our cars. As such we won't really know what to expect. Plus August will be hot, so that may add to the "bring" list.

I would like to start getting the necessaries (including money) together as soon as possible. Also, knowing a while in advance will give us time to look for deals (on tires for instance).

Another thought - if we need to get a lot of a specific item (ie brake pads, tires, helmets, etc.) we should try to put together a group deal to cut down on costs.

97CasperCobra
12-17-2002, 01:22 AM
Good suggestion Bart. As most of us will be beginners, some of this may or may not apply to us.

-A MUST will be a helmet. The track probably will have these to rent, most of them do for like $20/day.

-Cooling. Since it's gonna be hot out there, the main concern will be cooling the car. Fresh fluids, maybe add some of that water wetter(??), maybe change out the thermostat(??)

-Brakes. If you haven't swapped your brakes in a while, probably want to get fresh pads before the event. Don't think beginners will be doing hard braking, but you can always bring an extra set of front pads to the track, the "veterans" probably have all the tools to do a swap in 15 minutes. :D I would suggest getting SS brake lines as they take away the "spongy" feel. (I'll be putting in some myself and will probably do a Tech write-up before the new year)

-Tires. Our normal street tires should be fine as we probably won't be getting too into the heavy driving and won't be using the "sticky" tires, but if you've got the $$$ to burn and a spare set of rims, more power to ya. ;)

Feel free to add to this anyone. Hopefully we'll get a great turnout and the Texas heat won't be too bad to us. :thumbsup:

SVT Butterfly
12-17-2002, 11:57 AM
I am there! I will however need to know exactly what has to be done to my car. I have an 01 Cobra Convertible. I have a helmet but I have heard that I will need a light bar or a roll bar and some other things but I don't remember what they were. HELP PLEASE!
:)~

cobrabitn
12-17-2002, 12:32 PM
SVT Butterfly,

You will be in the touring group if you do not have a roll bar. It will be a lead/follow session with no passing. That's what the insurance company will agree to in order to give us insurance coverage.

If this is your first time then my suggestion would be to do it on street tires first to get the feel of your car. I wouldn't invest in tires till you get more into it. I would make sure I changed pads and used the ones you have now as spares. I would also change brake fluid and make sure to put the Ford HP brake fluid back in the system, it's in a black can.

You will get all the information you need by just asking questions if you are not sure. The only stupid question is one that is not asked. We have a lot of open trackers here so they can steer you in the right direction. ;)

I hope you guys have fun! :)

97CasperCobra
12-17-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by SVT Butterfly
. I have a helmet but I have heard that I will need a light bar or a roll bar and some other things but I don't remember what they were.

Hey Butterfly, good to see a newbie on board. Where North are ya located?? Anyway, I've been to track events where they will let verts run w/o a roll or light bar, but TWS may be different. We'll find out for ya, there are many other verts planning on doing this as well. Come out to a meet sometime, get to know everyone. :D

SVT Butterfly
12-17-2002, 12:49 PM
Will TWS require a roll bar or will a light bar work?
I ran Sunday at HRP and they did not say anything about the roll bar but I did have to put a helmet on.
Is there a particular type of pad I should get? I need new ones anyway. I was told that it really did not make a difference.
Will TWS require a drive shaft loop?

97CasperCobra,
I am at I-45 and Beltway 8. Let me know when everyone is meeting up again and where so that I can stop by.

Levi
12-17-2002, 01:46 PM
Equipment.

Helmet
Fire Extinguisher
Tires- Spares
Brake Pads- Stock Cobra
Brake Fluid- Ford HP
Coolant- Water Wetter, Thermostat

Incidentals.

Tools
Floor Jack
Jack Stands
Canopy
Chairs
Cooler

Chase vehicale for hauling equipment.

Just suggestions :thumbsup:

Firme
12-17-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by SVT Butterfly
I am at I-45 and Beltway 8. Let me know when everyone is meeting up again and where so that I can stop by.

SVT Butterfly...

welcome to the board... we meet every Tuesday @ Starbuck across from Willowbrook... one light east of 249 on 1960, you should come out tonight...

check it out

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/svtbbs2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3074

Bartman01
12-17-2002, 02:07 PM
Let me clarify my statement on tires. I was not referring to buying R compound tires for the track. From everything I have read this can be a VERY BAD thing to do until you get some experience. Street tires will give you a lot of warning before you pass their limits whereas racing tires do not.

I run KDW's on my car since it is a daily driver and we get lots of monsoon like rain down here. I was seriously thinking about getting a set of tires that handle better at the expense of wet traction for the open track day. I would have them mounted on my car before the trip, and then swap back afterwards.

This may be overkill but it would give me a fresh set of tires to run on instead of my usual partially worn ones. I would also have the peace of mind knowing that I have never patched the tires for punctures. Also, since I usually end up changing out 2 tires at a time - all 4 tires will behave more consistently. If there is anyone else thinking about getting new tires for the trip, we could get a better deal buying together.

Levi
12-17-2002, 02:38 PM
Bart you have vary good suggestions.

I have some SN95 Cobra R rims that I am going to get some street and strip Nittos for show and go. I have 98 Cobra rims with BFG's on the car now are going tobe used for Auto-X. After the BFG's are all used up I am then going for some road track tires.

roadruna
12-18-2002, 11:49 AM
Hey SVT Butterfly, I see you found it to the SCC website I was telling you about. I'm planning on finding some time to make it to this, hopefully I'll have my new tires by then.

cobrapace94
12-18-2002, 12:56 PM
Yes find out about the verts and roll bars. The light bars offer not support or protection in a roll over. They look cool, but that's about it.
I will plan on being there, but still to far away to make it a definate yes..

Welcome SVT Butterfly, I'm not too far, Humble.

SVT99
12-19-2002, 11:33 PM
As of now, you can count me in! This should be a blast.:D The auto-x at Stangbang was good, but really looking forward to this! Mike, if someone else wanted to drive my car also, would they have to pay also? Is the entry fee per car or per driver?

97CasperCobra
12-20-2002, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by SVT99
per car or per driver?

Per car I believe..but if anyone wants to drive it as well they have to be at the instructors meeting. At Atlanta we all had wrist bands so I'm not sure how they'll handle that. We'll see though...shouldn't be a problem. :thumbsup:

cobrapace94
12-20-2002, 09:20 AM
Another question, will there be pasengers allowed? Like riding in a car that is fast and has a good driver? Or a experienced driver riding with me, giving me some pointers?

cobrabitn
12-20-2002, 10:34 AM
Darrell,

You will have the option to have an instructor in the car with you. If this is your first time then it will be mandatory to have one in the car with you. If you have a light bar and not a rollbar then you will be able to participate in a lead/follow session with no passing allowed. If you have a roll bar then your car is treated like a coupe and can pass in the designated areas.

SVT99,

I'm assuming this is David Pena but not sure because of the e-mail address in your profile, the entry fee is per session. In other words someone can drive your car during one of your scheduled sessions but if they wish to run in a different scheduled session then yours then they would have to pay for the time on the track. It's all based on time on the track and not per car/person. Does that make sense? :confused:

johnbasf
12-20-2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by cobrabitn
Darrell,

You will have the option to have an instructor in the car with you. If this is your first time then it will be mandatory to have one in the car with you. If you have a light bar and not a rollbar then you will be able to participate in a lead/follow session with no passing allowed. If you have a roll bar then your car is treated like a coupe and can pass in the designated areas.

SVT99,

I'm assuming this is David Pena but not sure because of the e-mail address in your profile, the entry fee is per session. In other words someone can drive your car during one of your scheduled sessions but if they wish to run in a different scheduled session then yours then they would have to pay for the time on the track. It's all based on time on the track and not per car/person. Does that make sense? :confused:

:D :D

SVT99
12-21-2002, 11:58 AM
Yep Cobrabitn it's me. Changed email address again. Sorry I hadn't notified you.....And that does make sense. Good to know, Tracy used to drive SCCA years ago. I told her she could drive, as long as we didn't have to pay another fee. One more thing, is the going to be for club members only? Jeremy would love to get the Roush on the track!:rotf:

97CasperCobra
12-22-2002, 02:49 AM
This event is open to everyone. let's just work on getting the spots filled. I suspect we'll be taking registration pretty soon. :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
12-22-2002, 01:50 PM
The event is open to anyone, even the "dark side". Besides it'll be fun to have a variety of cars there but we'll guarantee you that it will be known as a Cobra event with all of the Cobras there. Invite any of your friends no matter what they drive. (Lightning, Focus, whatever.....)

This is to get you all better educated on your car's capabilities. And offer our members a chance to have fun with their cars in a closed controlled environment. Take it off the streets and put it on the track. ;)

Let's try to get at least 50 people going to this event so we can do it again next year, hmm? :p

SVT99
12-22-2002, 09:49 PM
On that note, you can count Jeremy in. He'll be glad to know he's not excluded. I'll let Al know so he can tell him when they talk next. The Air Force shipped him off half way around the world after Thanksgiving, he should be back in 4 mos.

Andy M
12-25-2002, 08:37 PM
Tony, and all other fellow members:

As most of you already know, I am a certified "open track junkie"! So, unless something more important comes up before this event, you can certainly count me in!!

As for the rest of you who have not been fortunate enough to have participated in one of these things in the past, you are in for a real treat!!:D The only thing you will need to do between now and August is save up your money to get your car ready for the event. Here is what you will need to prepare for to make sure you and your car are safe so you can have a great time....

1) brakes - new pads (at least in front) should be installed just prior to the event. Also if you have not done so in the past 12 months, a complete flush of the system and replacement of the fluid is recommended. Remember, this will be AUGUST in TX, and the car will need to be in tip top shape to ensure maximum pleasure with no mechanical problems due to the extreme heat. Also, make sure you don't have any leaks. This can ruin a good time!

2) tires - just make sure you have more than 6/32's of rubber on your tires before coming to the event. I have shaved over 4/32's of rubber off tires before in a single weekend at an open track event. Be ready to rub some rubber off the edges of your front tires at a minimum. If you have the budget for it, I recommend buying a cheap set of track rims (old, scratched, etc...) and mount some sticky tires on them. NOTE: THIS IS NOT ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY TO HAVE FUN! You can have a great time on street tires. As a matter of fact, I would highly recommend that if you have NEVER done an open track event in your life before this one, come with your street tires mounted on the car. Street tires will provide more feedback through the steering wheel as well as audibly, to keep you from crossing over the edge of traction before you are ready to do so. I ran my first few track events on street tires and it was very educational.

3) cooling system - flush your cooling system and use distilled water with your favorite coolant in the correct mixture, AND use one to two bottles of "Water Wetter" in the mix. You can purchase this at your local Autozone, Pep Boys, etc.

4) helmet - if you don't have a helmet, go out and get one (borrow, buy, whatever). It needs to meet at least a Snell rating of SA2000. You can purchase helmets at places like www.jegs.com or other online retailers, or if you wish to purchase locally, you can get them at places like ProAm on Richmond in Houston.

5) other fluids - a fresh oil change in the engine, tranny AND differential are also recommended but not required.

6) safety harnesses - Although not required, I would recommend getting some safety harnesses for use at the track. Sparco/Schroth makes some relatively inexpensive 4 and 5 point harnesses which bolt right up to the existing mount points with your stock seat belts. These belts will provide superior support while seated and keep your body from sloshing around inside the seat. Here is just one web site which describes the belts I am referring to....

http://www.soloperformance.com/catalog_harness.htm

We will have a tech inspection sheet for you to follow prior to the event to ensure you get your car in top form before you arrive.

You guys/gals who have never done this before are in for some BIG TIME fun!

REMEMBER - SAFETY FIRST, then performance! The car needs to be safe for you and others around you to have a good time. Unlike in street racing or drag racing, it is not necessarily the person with the most horsepower who will be the fasted around the track. Learn how to control the car and remain safe and the speed will come on its own.

Be sure to let me/us know if you have questions on any of this or any other topic related to this event. I've done many of these events with my car and have had a ton of fun while remaining safe, so I have some experience with this.

and finally, here is one additional resource for your reading pleasure...

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_intro/intro.lasso

Although it is primarily aimed at racing, the information is good for novice trackers as well.

Andy M
12-25-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Bartman01
Let me clarify my statement on tires. I was not referring to buying R compound tires for the track. From everything I have read this can be a VERY BAD thing to do until you get some experience. Street tires will give you a lot of warning before you pass their limits whereas racing tires do not.

I run KDW's on my car since it is a daily driver and we get lots of monsoon like rain down here. I was seriously thinking about getting a set of tires that handle better at the expense of wet traction for the open track day. I would have them mounted on my car before the trip, and then swap back afterwards.

This may be overkill but it would give me a fresh set of tires to run on instead of my usual partially worn ones. I would also have the peace of mind knowing that I have never patched the tires for punctures. Also, since I usually end up changing out 2 tires at a time - all 4 tires will behave more consistently. If there is anyone else thinking about getting new tires for the trip, we could get a better deal buying together.

BFG KDW's (or equivalent tread and compound) are an excellent choice, especially for beginners. These will provide ample dry traction and excellent wet traction, in case it rains that weekend.

svt tam
02-21-2003, 11:23 AM
i'm in :thumbsup: