PDA

View Full Version : who's doing what


johnbasf
12-18-2002, 09:45 PM
Come on, I'm jonesing here!!! Somebody has got to have some news on here!!! :thumbsup:

rshelbygt
12-19-2002, 12:04 AM
I'm just sitting here waiting on some more pictures of the gutted Mystic....;)

We at the Smith household are preparing to start work on the 01 GT. The rear seat and trim panels are being removed and we're installing Shugg's old Autopower 6 point cage. The harnesses will be next. Then it's on to the suspension.....:D The 01 is no longer a daily-driver...it is officially the "fun" car!!!!

Can't wait until VIR full course in February!!!!!!!!!!!!

thomasmoran1
12-19-2002, 03:29 AM
John, another couple of weeks and we will have some new pics to put up. In the mean time we also want to see more pics of your car as the process of "lewising" continues.

Thomas and Mike

johnbasf
12-19-2002, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by rshelbygt
I'm just sitting here waiting on some more pictures of the gutted Mystic....;)

We at the Smith household are preparing to start work on the 01 GT. The rear seat and trim panels are being removed and we're installing Shugg's old Autopower 6 point cage. The harnesses will be next. Then it's on to the suspension.....:D The 01 is no longer a daily-driver...it is officially the "fun" car!!!!

Can't wait until VIR full course in February!!!!!!!!!!!!

COOL!!!! Awesome!!

NO 5 OH
12-19-2002, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by johnbasf
Come on, I'm jonesing here!!! Somebody has got to have some news on here!!! :thumbsup:

Okay... I'll go ahead and bite here ;) It's not to the point of "Lewising" a car by no means... but it should give some "news" to read up on :cool:

The Cobra: Just put new tires on it yesterday :D Oddly enough I happened to find some brand new BFG Comp T/A's that were stocked at my local tire shop and got them at a steal of a price ;)

The SVO: I'm using the time of it being down for now to just go ahead and do most of the modifications to it at one time. I tore the 7.5 out of it over Thanksgiving and today I'm going to a local junkyard that happens to have an auto 87-88 Thunderbird Turbocoupe to get the 8.8 out of it. Hopefully by next week a friend and I will be swapping the units out and getting at least the rearend done. I knew the header on the car was leaking, so we pulled the header/turbo off and it was leaking a lot worse than I thought. It was cracked between the #2 and #3 cylinders and leaking on the flange on all four exhaust ports. I'll be getting a new header on it plus hopefully putting on the following:

Precision T3/T04E 60 trim stage 3 w/.63 A/R turbo
Modified Grand National Intercooler with Duttweiler neck
Flex-a-lite 12" dual electric fans
Turbo XS BOV Type H- RFL
MSD 6A ignition w/blaster coil
Simple Digital Systems (SDS) stand alone engine management
Siemens/Deca 83 lph fuel injectors
Kirban adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Walbro 255 lph intank pump
ATR 3" downpipe off turbo; ATR 3" to 2 1/2" y-pipe
Magnaflow 2 1/2" catback
Autometer Phantom boost, fuel pressure, air/fuel gauges

And I think that's it :eek: There's probably one or two other things I've left out... and hopefully Santa Claus will be bringing me some "suspension goodies" to put on the car just in time for CMP :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

justagt
12-19-2002, 11:17 AM
ok, I will go.

Got my engine back out and found that the bearings on the rod journal (big end) went bad on the #1 and 5 pistons. That is the two on the front of the motor. Oil pumps front to rear on these engines which is why 1 and 5 went bad first. Got lucky and nothing is ruined. Just a little fixing is all that is needed.

Also solved the fuel pressure issue and will be mounting the fuel filter up under the hood. Looking at also changing the master cylinder to a smaller bore. Since I am not running a brake booster, a smaller bore will give me a little bit longer pedal travel which I want. Also moving my hard line to the rear brakes.

I have to take of my CC plates and open up the holes in the top of the strut towers. Fox bodies are notorious for being a PITA to get any negative camber. On mine all we could get is straight up and down, which sucks. Also plan on adding some subframes b/c it needs them BAD. John, you weld right??
:thumbsup:

Also need a paint job before Febuary.

cobrabitn
12-19-2002, 11:28 AM
I need some advice on my brakes on my 99. I noticed after I left MAM in October that my brakes started to feel mushy. They feel mushy now, so what do I need, just a brake bleed or change the fluid all together?

No way I am going to CMP with mushy brakes in March! ;)

Suggestions?

Life is too short to have mushy brakes!

justagt
12-19-2002, 11:49 AM
Since it had a lasting effect, chances are the fluid is burned up.

One of the biggest things people don't realize is how important the fluid and adequate cooling is. Before you go to CMP , Tony, bleed them good. Do it in the few days before you go, not weeks before. Brake fluid is notorious for absorbing moisture, which reduces its effectiveness. Also, use a good, hi temp fluid. The heavy duty Motorsport fluid is a good one and there are others.

Don't know what you have as far as rotors and pads, but I always suggest for a street car to have a separate set of track-only rotors and pads. Get the car to the track and swap them there. With brakes, you get what you pay for.

Also run some sort of cooling too. You wouldn't believe what a couple of hoses blowing on the brakes can do. Fog light holes are a good place to mount them.

cobrabitn
12-19-2002, 12:03 PM
Thanks Will, I'll probably bleed them now to see if the mushy part stops and then do it again in the first part of March. I have all stock rotors with Performance Friction Z pads. I think the Fastoldman made me do it at MAM. ;) He said I was tearing up the track and I think he meant my brakes right... :rotf:

justagt
12-19-2002, 01:16 PM
You haven't seen brake wear until you run at CMP. Trust me on this one.

cobrabitn
12-19-2002, 02:24 PM
I guess I'll find out in March! I will have an extra set with me just in case. ;)

SIUNARA
12-19-2002, 05:59 PM
Well, after putting the H&R super race springs, Koni's, CC plates, and full length subframe connectors on the 93, a decision has been made to cut short the pouring of money into the car...and go back to using the Cobra on the track. I got all the way to the point where I would have had to shell out the BIG bucks for the brakes on the 93, and I just can't justify spending that money right now...especially with the Cobra all ready for track duty...so I'm currently in the process of buying some extra rotors and getting some really good brake pads for CMP (might bring along the one's that produced the flames earlier this year too). I'll most likely add some cooling ducts, and a little suprise for Big Daddy, just in case he tries to use all 500 horses and lose me on the straights this time. :D :thumbsup:

Need more pictures John...get that thing gutted so we have something new to look at!! :thumbsup: ;)

cobrabitn
12-19-2002, 07:20 PM
John,

Need more pics of the Mystic. We'll have to give it a new name....Pearsoning. :rotf:

Don,

I'm sure Big Daddy wouldn't do that to you...lol. :rolleyes:

johnbasf
12-19-2002, 08:11 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! That's better!! Thanks guys. Sounds like CMP is going to be fun. Will, yes I weld. 5oh, can't wait to see the car on track. Don, the ORIGINAL PADS:rotf: :rotf: . I'll be doing some more to the car after I get the master bath done.:( :(

Don, please tell Jenine(sp?) that I had nothing to do with your decision!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SIUNARA
12-19-2002, 09:33 PM
You're in the clear John...she's not blaming anyone for the most recent decision to use the Cobra. Although I do remember hearing your name in a not so nice tone when I mentioned pulling the back seat and stereo out!! ;) :thumbsup:

Big Daddy
12-20-2002, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by SIUNARA
Well, after putting the H&R super race springs, Koni's, CC plates, and full length subframe connectors on the 93, a decision has been made to cut short the pouring of money into the car...and go back to using the Cobra on the track. I got all the way to the point where I would have had to shell out the BIG bucks for the brakes on the 93, and I just can't justify spending that money right now...especially with the Cobra all ready for track duty...so I'm currently in the process of buying some extra rotors and getting some really good brake pads for CMP (might bring along the one's that produced the flames earlier this year too). I'll most likely add some cooling ducts, and a little suprise for Big Daddy, just in case he tries to use all 500 horses and lose me on the straights this time. :D :thumbsup:

Need more pictures John...get that thing gutted so we have something new to look at!! :thumbsup: ;)

My, My smack talk in December!! :D ;) I have a few mor go fast goodies going on the car in the next two weeks!! :D :thumbsup: So Wil you had better up the ante on yours again!! :D

Long tube headers, h-pipe with hi-flow cats, 12 lb blower pulley. About 550RWHP!! :D

justagt
12-20-2002, 09:09 AM
I'll be there and ready to go in Febuary. I thought I would have any easy pace on the car until then, but found out yesterday that the crankshaft is cracked. It ends up all of the journals had been built up, which contributed to the cracking, even though when I bought it, I asked for one that hadn't been built back up. There went a whole bunch of money, so pardon me while I scream. :)

SIUNARA
12-20-2002, 01:46 PM
With 550rwhp you better add a full roll cage and some harnesses too!!!!! ;) :thumbsup:

winddysvt
12-20-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Big Daddy
My, My smack talk in December!! :D ;) I have a few mor go fast goodies going on the car in the next two weeks!! :D :thumbsup: So Wil you had better up the ante on yours again!! :D

Long tube headers, h-pipe with hi-flow cats, 12 lb blower pulley. About 550RWHP!! :D

------------------------------


HI BD !!-

go to the Kenny Brown forum,
respond to the new thread and tell us what you did --

thx!

Big Daddy
12-20-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by SIUNARA
With 550rwhp you better add a full roll cage and some harnesses too!!!!! ;) :thumbsup:

Will, I have!! KB roll cage and Schross (SP?) harnesses! :D ;) I'll be looking forward to seeing what you've got for me in March! :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

kevin
12-20-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by winddysvt
------------------------------


HI BD !!-

go to the Kenny Brown forum,
respond to the new thread and tell us what you did --

thx!

welcome back newbie;) missed ya

SIUNARA
12-20-2002, 07:36 PM
BD,

It's not Will, it's Don...Will has the black race car (justagt)...I have the white Cobra. You talkin smack to me or him? :)

Did you have the roll cage at CMP this past August...I don't remember.

Big Daddy
12-21-2002, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by SIUNARA
BD,

It's not Will, it's Don...Will has the black race car (justagt)...I have the white Cobra. You talkin smack to me or him? :)

Did you have the roll cage at CMP this past August...I don't remember.


SORRY!! That's what happens with LACK OF SLEEP! :D Or maybe I'm just STUPID! ;) I'm really not talking smack to anyone! :D But Will was talking some to me...:D Really I can't wait to try my Snake on the track and I'm hoping not to have to wait until March to run her. I'm hoping to see most of you folks in February at VIR!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

thomasmoran1
12-21-2002, 02:49 AM
Hey guys, here is the lastest part to go onto our car. Sorry for the bad pic but the the guys at sean hyland snaped the shot just to show use that they have finally arrived. Anyway these are the new upper control arms that are made from crome-moly from kenny brown for the IRS. We snaped the old ones which were mild steel, in half last year and when we told kenny brown they stopped production and re-tooled to make them stronger. They then replaced ours for free with these ones. The pic you are seeing is the two arms interlocked for shipping. Again sorry for the bad pic but in a couple of weeks we will have a lot of things to show you guys.


Keep posting what you are all doing, its giving us some good ideas.

Thomas and Mike

Cobra-R
12-21-2002, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by thomasmoran1
Hey guys, here is the lastest part to go onto our car. Sorry for the bad pic but the the guys at sean hyland snaped the shot just to show use that they have finally arrived. Anyway these are the new upper control arms that are made from crome-moly from kenny brown for the IRS. We snaped the old ones which were mild steel, in half last year and when we told kenny brown they stopped production and re-tooled to make them stronger. They then replaced ours for free with these ones. The pic you are seeing is the two arms interlocked for shipping. Again sorry for the bad pic but in a couple of weeks we will have a lot of things to show you guys.


Keep posting what you are all doing, its giving us some good ideas.

Thomas and Mike

Thomas,
Have you replaced the rear lower control arms also? What are these uppers suppose to improve over the stock arms?

Brian

SIUNARA
12-21-2002, 11:10 AM
BD,

That explains it...lack of sleep!! :D ;) Can't wait to see that beast of your's on the track again!! :)

thomasmoran1
12-21-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Cobra-R
Thomas,
Have you replaced the rear lower control arms also? What are these uppers suppose to improve over the stock arms?

Brian

Yes, the lower arms have been replaced also. They improve the unsrung weight, I think around 29 pounds over the stock setup if I remember correctly. Kenny brown also claims that they improve the geometery.

Brian, are you going to run the 2001 at any events next year?

Talk to you soon

Thomas and Mike

PS.

Say hi to Liz and Lew for us and hope everyone has a good christmas
:)

Cobra-R
12-21-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by thomasmoran1

Brian, are you going to run the 2001 at any events next year?

Talk to you soon

Thomas and Mike

PS.

Say hi to Liz and Lew for us and hope everyone has a good christmas
:)

Tom,
Yea, I will run the 01 some next year. It is sitting in dads hanger getting a differential cooler installed. If the 95 doesn't quit wearing tires so bad, the 01 will get driven alot more.

Thanks, and tell your dad and everyone we wish you all a merry christmas also.
:thumbsup:

thomasmoran1
12-21-2002, 03:22 PM
Brian, I was talking about your tire wear problem with hyland and he thinks that besides all of the obvious stuff (alignment, air pressure ect...) that the reason could be you are getting a large amount of under steer from the torque arm. He thinks that it might be a case of the torque arm providing so much more grip then the front that it is causing the fronts to scrub across the pavement when you are putting the power down coming out of corners. I also believe that you were running a 255 front and a 275 rear, which may have made the problem even worse. Anyway, Sean said that this is just a guess and not anything that you should take as solid advice.

Hope that helps

Thomas

Cobra-R
12-21-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by thomasmoran1
Brian, I was talking about your tire wear problem with hyland and he thinks that besides all of the obvious stuff (alignment, air pressure ect...) that the reason could be you are getting a large amount of under steer from the torque arm. He thinks that it might be a case of the torque arm providing so much more grip then the front that it is causing the fronts to scrub across the pavement when you are putting the power down coming out of corners. I also believe that you were running a 255 front and a 275 rear, which may have made the problem even worse. Anyway, Sean said that this is just a guess and not anything that you should take as solid advice.

Hope that helps

Thomas

Thomas,
I have two sets of wheels/tires for the 95. One is 275/35-18 and the other is 255/45/17. At MAM when I had worn out the fronts from each tire set, I put the rear 255-17's in the front and the 18's in the rear so I could keep driving. I just got new tires for next year and swiched the 17's to 275's also.
I don't doubt what Sean is saying is true, thats why I added the Griggs front end and coil overs figuring it would help the situation. It did help alot, but it also allowed the car to be driven harder to the point where the push came back.
At this point I am thinking it may be a combination of bad driving habit (?) and as suggested at CC's that I may be running slightly to soft of rear springs.
I am going to buy some 275# and 300# (250# now) springs and see if that helps. I have not yet had the car corner weighted, so I am sure that is not helping the issue either.
I appreciate the thoughts and idea's, keep them comming.

Brian

Cobra-R
12-21-2002, 08:51 PM
Oh, and while I am thinking of it, a funny thing Dad and I discovered the other day.
I bought a new set of Hoosiers last week that were 275/40/17. I layed them beside the 255/45/17 I wore out at MAM. The 275's are almost the identical in width, even though they should be 20mm different.
For the $20 per tire price difference, I will probly switch back to the 255's when these are worn out. Gotta save $$ anywhere we can. ;) ;)


Brian

winddysvt
12-22-2002, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by kevin
welcome back newbie;) missed ya

--------------------------



Thanks for the welcome Kevin!

We've missed you too !!

NO 5 OH
12-23-2002, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Cobra-R
The 275's are almost the identical in width, even though they should be 20mm different.

Brian, I'd say the reason you couldn't "see" the difference was because 20 mm would actually kinda be hard to "eyeball" and tell a decerning difference. 20 mm is just a tad more than 13/16's of an inch... and I would think back to back it would be a little hard to make out.

Just a thought... I deal in metric conversions just about everyday so I thought I'd point it out ;) ;)