PDA

View Full Version : loss of power after k&n

serpico
12-30-2002, 10:06 PM
just recieved a new k&n aircharger system. i followed the directions except for disconnecting the battery. i installed on sat. and thought it was running good. i started on a 50 mile trip and after about 10 miles it was running rough and it felt as if i had lost 75hp. no power in 5th and when you press the accelarator pedal it stumbles and slowly revs. have i managed to screw something else up? it is still under warranty and only has 12000 miles. should i just put the old filter on and take it in? please help as my wife is calling my snake "junk".

johnbasf
12-30-2002, 10:12 PM
Your idea about putting the old filter in sounds good to me. Let them check it under warranty.

mrbill01
12-30-2002, 10:19 PM
try the "disconnect" trick before swapping all that stuff......then drive it and let it learn what just happened to it

serpico
12-30-2002, 10:22 PM
i hate to let anyone work on my car as i'm always worried that they will screw something else up. any suggestions as what else to try as i tried to reset the computer with no positive results. i didn't oil the filter as it came pre-oiled and ready to use. it didn't seem over oiled but i read that this could be a problem. can i use some spray carb cleaner on the inside of the mass air meter?

cobrabitn
12-31-2002, 11:36 AM
Serpico,

I believe the two incidents are not related. You have some sort of a sensor problem, probably TPS or something. Take the K&N out and bring it to the Ford place so they can run a code scan on it. They should be able to fix it from there. ;)

serpico
12-31-2002, 12:23 PM
i just removed the k&n system and replaced the stock setup. i have made an appointment for thursday. i drove the car and at first it seemed better but as it warmed up it started acting the same way.

smashedheadcat
12-31-2002, 04:08 PM
Since your vehicle is under warranty, i'd let them handle everything. A few years back, my first cobra lost gobs of power. It felt like it'd have a hard time keeping up with a 6 cylinder camaro. I didn't perform any mods to it at all. I took it everywhere, and tried everything. But nobody ever figured it out I don't believe.

flynfink
01-01-2003, 11:11 PM
you probably got oil on the MAF. Someone have the link on cleaning it??

Also check the connections..

serpico
01-01-2003, 11:24 PM
if oil did get onto the mass air from the k&n which has been removed what will they say? if they ask do i tell them? the car only has 12000 miles. i am also asking about the loud clunking (driveline) and the clutch pedal vibrating so had it rattles and the popping coming from the right rear when going around corners. i traded in my 97 cobra and never had any of these problems.

cobrabitn
01-01-2003, 11:34 PM
You didn't say what year your car was?

Take it to the dealership and give them the list of problems. I was told that from a serice manager at a Ford dealership. Just describe the problem and let them go from there.

Hope that helps out?:doubt:

serpico
01-02-2003, 07:12 PM
went to dealer today and of course they say that there is nothing wrong with it. i told him that it lost power but he says its as strong as any other 2001 cobra. he said that no codes were present for the scan.he then proceeded to tell me that i should downshift to pass. what now? he will have another person drive in am but i am not holding my breath. if they can't find it do i go to another dealer? i know that i am not crazy but he made me feel like an idiot.

smashedheadcat
01-02-2003, 07:35 PM
Maybe take your car to a dyno, and bring them the numbers. Compare them to other stock '01 cobra numbers and ask them If they can explain that one to ya...??

sVt9seVencObra
01-15-2003, 11:02 PM
doesnt the cobra come wit the k&n stock?>
:starwars:

cobrabitn
01-16-2003, 11:52 AM
No, it comes with a Ford filter. Autolite or Motorcraft I think...?

smashedheadcat
01-16-2003, 12:52 PM
The '01 have that junky, paper, orange and white thing with a black round cap on the front of it, just like the older ones. :D Still holds true for the '03 cobras. Switching to the K&N on an '03 gives some big gains.....obviously

sVt9seVencObra
01-16-2003, 06:37 PM
what >?>? my cobra came with a k&n so did my cousins 99GT ......iti has a sticker that says k&n filter equipped??>

flynfink
01-16-2003, 09:25 PM
not stock!!!
Dealer may have installed, but Ford didn't..

sVt9seVencObra
01-18-2003, 01:36 PM
so is it an option?>

flynfink
01-18-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by sVt9seVencObra
so is it an option?>

Not from the factory..

spittincobra01
01-18-2003, 11:53 PM
Not from the factory..

though I wish it were!

smashedheadcat
01-19-2003, 10:54 AM
It would probably be a $199 option. Ya know, $50 for the filter, $100 for labor, and $49 destination and delivery. :D

spittincobra01
01-19-2003, 11:02 AM
It would probably be a $199 option. Ya know, $50 for the filter, $100 for labor, and $49 destination and delivery.

Don't forget about tax and gratuities... lmao

sVt9seVencObra
01-19-2003, 08:05 PM
:doubt: weird ...my cousin got the same set up..ill look into it...i just :spanked: spanked a boosted integra...the guy got pissed he didnt believe i was stock.... the girl next to him was like :stupid:

serpico
01-26-2003, 11:02 AM
second dealer returned car last week. they replaced the fuel pump and the mass air sensor. guess what it still does the same thing. it bogs and jumps when you punch it and has very little passing power in 5th at 70mph. it only does it after it warms up. i really think that it is in the timing. i filled with 93 (as always shell) and even put the best 104 in as a precaution but no change. can anyone help? i reinstalled the filtercharger system as i have eliminated this as a problem. i just ordered 4.10 gears and a speedo recall. i really want to get fixed before any more mods. what controls timing other than the pcm? i think it is a sensor as it loses the power following warm-up.(bogs and slow to pick-up) please help!!!!

01 mineral grey COBRA

smashedheadcat
01-26-2003, 04:16 PM
Get that beast on the dyno with a wideband o2 sensor. Compare the numbers with stock '01's and go from there. Looking at the air to fuel ratio may help you elimate timing as a possible problem. Have you tried pulling spark plugs and examining them?? Starting there would be worth your while I'd imagine.

KWT
02-07-2003, 03:37 PM
My suggestions is to take it to the dealer that has treated you the best or seems most trustworthy and ask them to contact their Field Service Engineer to come look at your car. He will definitely know of any TSB's that are out there on your model vehicle. Some of the tech's at dealers know only what the Diag machine tells them. If it says all is ok...then they look no farther!

Hope that helps you!

serpico
02-10-2003, 11:36 PM
i just cleaned the maf and no results. i will try the fuel filter next. what about the plugs? i don't think they should go bad at 12000 miles but i didn't think that i would be asking any of these questions either.

2001 cobra
k&n filter charger

edswhite99
03-25-2005, 01:30 PM
Serpico, I know it's been a long time since you had the loss of power, but I just read the thread and was curious to know what the problem was and how you fixed it.