PDA

View Full Version : SUSPENSION IS DONE!!! Finally

Firme
01-05-2003, 09:12 PM
well it took 6 and a half hours, but its finally done.

2003 Cobra Bilstein Struts/Shocks
Maximum Motorsport Front Coil-overs w\ 350# hypercoils
Urethane steering rack bushings
H&R rear spring with urethane isolators...

its was painful..but the ride is SOOO worth it.

1 and 1/2 inch drop all around

doing 90 on houston highways is a little bouncy, but everthing else is so much better in my opinion

I have to double check my alignment numbers..I think my camber is too negative in the back

http://home.houston.rr.com/firme/Cobra/Pix/Suspension%20Difference.jpg
http://home.houston.rr.com/firme/Cobra/Pix/HnR_rear.jpg

97CasperCobra
01-05-2003, 09:38 PM
Nice, now get some Subframes and Strut tower brace and you'll be all ready for TWS......and some SS brake lines, slicks, Hawk brake pads, etc. :thumbsup:

Firme
01-05-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by 97CasperCobra
...Subframes and Strut tower brace .....

yeah, I'm waiting for the good ole tax return check :thumbsup:

but man it corners like crazy as it is

97CasperCobra
01-05-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Firme
but man it corners like crazy as it is

Sweet....I want to compare our two when I get my control arms replaced.......Tax refund.......hurry!!!!

cobrapace94
01-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Cool on getting it done.. :thumbsup: 6.5 hours is not too bad, could have been worse.
Just so it is not rice bounce, then it will be OK.. :)
Glad you like it.

Firme
01-06-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by cobrapace94
...:thumbsup: 6.5 hours is not too bad, could have been worse....

that 6.5 hours included 4 wheel alignment :thumbsup:

I might want to make some tweaks to it soon...

a few of the alignment numbers made me uneasy.

Andy M
01-06-2003, 08:49 AM
Edmond,

Very cool!! It should handle quite a bit better now.

What camber/caster settings did you use for the front and rear??

For a street/daily driven car, no more than about 1.5 degrees negative on the front... otherwise, you are going to really decrease the life of your front tires??!:( What about caster?? Since our cars are so front end heavy, you want as much positive caster as you can..... so you can transfer weight to the rear of the car.

I am planning some new coilovers soon with a new K member. All from Kenny Brown. I will be using double adjustable Koni's. I expect to dial in about 3 degrees negative camber in front and close to 7 degrees positive caster in front. But then again, my car is set up for full race. I don't much care how it rides on the street! I want it to be razor sharp at the track.

Keep us posted as you become more familiar with this setup??

Firme
01-06-2003, 10:39 AM
Andy,

Thanks man. Since my car is a daily driver I try to get the best tire wear, but still have handling.

I have my setting in inches so let me try to covert them to degrees

My front is set to about .25 inches negative camber(.3 degree negative camber I think)

My rear is set to .77 inches negative camber(.75 degree negative camber (too high for street for my taste but my stock UCA's wont go any more positive than that, they were going from -1.5 inches to -.77)

My caster is set at 5 degrees positive (the lowest number positive posible with the MM C\C plates to my surprise)

My front toe is at .25 degrees IN and my rear toe is set to a C.H. out from 0 degrees

:cool:

03 cobra toy
01-06-2003, 06:25 PM
Very nice ! Where are the rear coil-overs? Did you go with a bump- steer kit?Post some pic with it on the ground...

David

Firme
01-06-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by 01 cobra toy
Very nice ! Where are the rear coil-overs? Did you go with a bump- steer kit?Post some pic with it on the ground...

David

Unfortunetely, my cash tree has dried up for winter :doubt: , so no bumpsteer kit, although, bumpsteer hasn't been too big of an issue, and also, I just went with conventional springs in the back.. since they on cost me $125, and the rear coil-over kit was $450, and it was also highly recommended for me to get the rear shock mount in order for the rear coil-over kit to not cause damage to the shock mount which was an additional $200, and then I would also have to get a rear shock tower brace to make sure all was well with was more $$$, so I figured that would come later...

as it is, I think my tires have gove bald from me cornering with this setup the past couple of days, and I don't mean from a bad alignment either :thumbsup: