PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Mods

poolman
01-06-2003, 01:45 PM
Any of you 03 guys out there done any suspension changes?
I want to drop the car about an inch and a half, try to keep the ride quality up for my fat butt, any comments? Suggestions?

Car will see some open track, but it will be mostly for the street.

I have a full Steeda setup on my 98, ride is harsh on the street.

Thanks for the input.... :D

Cobra-R
01-06-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by poolman
Any of you 03 guys out there done any suspension changes?
I want to drop the car about an inch and a half, try to keep the ride quality up for my fat butt, any comments? Suggestions?

Car will see some open track, but it will be mostly for the street.

I have a full Steeda setup on my 98, ride is harsh on the street.

Thanks for the input.... :D

Dennis,
My recomendation would be coilovers and replace bushings in the front and rear.
You can run stiffer springs without the ride penalty and also be able to dial in the ride height exactly where you want it.

In my opinion you will get the biggest bang for your buck doing this.

Brian

ps. If you do it, change to MM 4 bolt caster camber plates. :thumbsup:

poolman
01-06-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Cobra-R
Dennis,
My recomendation would be coilovers and replace bushings in the front and rear.
You can run stiffer springs without the ride penalty and also be able to dial in the ride height exactly where you want it.

In my opinion you will get the biggest bang for your buck doing this.

Brian

ps. If you do it, change to MM 4 bolt caster camber plates. :thumbsup:

Hi Brian

You going to do that to yours? I see your name on the CMP list, you going to come south? :D

I'll make you some cheese grits.

You are right about the coil overs, looking into that now.
Sometimes you just gotta do it. :eek:

thanks Dennis

Cobra-R
01-06-2003, 07:03 PM
No, I told my wife I would keep the 03 close to stock so she could still be comfortable riding in it. ;)

I did do my 01 with all the mods I mentioned above (and more) which is pretty much the same setup as the 03 except for the tie rod pickup points.
I will say that the 01 is not far behind my 95R as far as track worthyness goes. The only thing I would like to do yet is replace the rear subframe bushings, but that will have to wait for now. (still working on the tire issue with the 95)
My car is sprung with such heavy springs now, that it is'nt nearly as comfortable on the street as it was before, but you would have no need to get that stiff of springs. I went with Koni shocks/struts for thier adjustability. I can soften the dampening for the street and put more in for the track, they are spendy but it is nice having that ability.
I would also consider a diff cooler, I paid the price by not adding one and sure would hate to see you make the same mistake. I have pieced coolers together in two of my cars now for alot less $$ than the KB unit, if you are interested let me know and I can get you the info.

I am up in the air on comming yet, at this point I am going to say no. I would be very tempted if the weather was going to be nice between here and there and I was able to just drive the Cobra down.

Brian

Cobra-R
01-06-2003, 07:06 PM

I'll make you some cheese grits.

Hmm, bribes. Now that might just work. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

97whitevert
01-06-2003, 07:12 PM
Hmm, bribes. Now that might just work. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: will you bring cheese curds?????PLEASE!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

97whitevert
01-06-2003, 07:17 PM
Hmm, bribes. Now that might just work. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: i'll bring cookies.......:thumbsup:

poolman
01-06-2003, 07:20 PM

I did do my 01 with all the mods I mentioned above (and more) which is pretty much the same setup as the 03 except for the tie rod pickup points.
I will say that the 01 is not far behind my 95R as far as track worthyness goes. The only thing I would like to do yet is replace the rear subframe bushings, but that will have to wait for now. (still working on the tire issue with the 95)
My car is sprung with such heavy springs now, that it is'nt nearly as comfortable on the street as it was before, but you would have no need to get that stiff of springs. I went with Koni shocks/struts for thier adjustability. I can soften the dampening for the street and put more in for the track, they are spendy but it is nice having that ability.
I would also consider a diff cooler, I paid the price by not adding one and sure would hate to see you make the same mistake. I have pieced coolers together in two of my cars now for alot less $$ than the KB unit, if you are interested let me know and I can get you the info.

I am up in the air on comming yet, at this point I am going to say no. I would be very tempted if the weather was going to be nice between here and there and I was able to just drive the Cobra down.

Brian

Thanks Brian

Where did you get the Konis and the coil overs? And a diff cooler is on the list, need a pump and a heat exchanger, I would like the info on what you did when you have a minute.

Come on down to CMP, it is less of a ride than Road Atlanta, weather is usually ok here in March. Just do like I usually do and decide not to go, then at the minute change my mind. :p

I'll make grits and some boiled peanuts! Who could resist that?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Cobra-R
01-06-2003, 07:33 PM
Thanks Brian

Where did you get the Konis and the coil overs? And a diff cooler is on the list, need a pump and a heat exchanger, I would like the info on what you did when you have a minute.

Come on down to CMP, it is less of a ride than Road Atlanta, weather is usually ok here in March. Just do like I usually do and decide not to go, then at the minute change my mind. :p

I'll make grits and some boiled peanuts! Who could resist that?

Go here bsrproducts.com You can fill out a form to have a catalog sent to ya. It has everything you need to do a diff cooler. When you actually get the catalog, call me and I will tell ya specifically what I ordered. You will probly end up between $500-600 with the pump, cooler, and lines/fittings.
I mounted the cooler behind the rear bumper so I didn't have to deal with it inside the car. (didn't want to deal with the smell if there was a leak) I also set the cooler up so I have a manual switch inside the car to turn it on, but also put in a sender so if I forget it will come on automatically when the diff gets to 180 degrees.
I got the Koni's and springs from Griggs. At the same time I did a K-member and a bunch of other stuff so I got it all from the same place. I am sure Jack from MM could do you just as well with thier parts.

ps You had me tempted until you mentioned gritts. uggg :(

97whitevert
01-06-2003, 11:38 PM
ps You had me tempted until you mentioned gritts. uggg :( i'm with ya there bubba.....

cobrabitn
01-07-2003, 01:14 PM
Brian,

We have cows down here too. ;)

Cobra-R
01-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by cobrabitn
Brian,

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D :rotf:

poolman
01-07-2003, 05:57 PM
Ok, so how about steak and eggs, cat-head biscuits with sawmill gravy and grits, just like grandma used to make. :D
Breakfast of champions. :p

Dean95CobraR
01-07-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by cobrabitn
Brian,

2 legged or 4? :eek: ;)

poolman
01-07-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Dean95CobraR

I resemble that remark! :mad:

Cobra-R
01-07-2003, 06:11 PM
Ok, so how about steak and eggs, cat-head biscuits with sawmill gravy and grits, just like grandma used to make. :D
Breakfast of champions. :p

Throw in some Busch Light and a Waffle house breakfest and you may have a deal. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cobra-R
01-07-2003, 06:17 PM

:side: :rotf:

Dean95CobraR
01-07-2003, 06:21 PM
I resemble that remark! :mad:

Come on Dennis, don't be so hard on yourself. We've all seen the movies where the poolman is a slim muscular guy who gets all the lonely housewives. :D

poolman
01-08-2003, 08:45 AM

Come on Dennis, don't be so hard on yourself. We've all seen the movies where the poolman is a slim muscular guy who gets all the lonely housewives. :D

:( My secret is out Dean! :eek:

poolman
01-08-2003, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the info Brian, hope you get to come to Carolina. :thumbsup: and you too Dean (Porsche boy) :D

Sorry we got off subject boys and girls...has anyone else tried any spring or strut/shock mods on an 03? Any luck? Happy or unhappy or just want to talk about it? :)

Thanks, poolman's gotta go workout.

Dean95CobraR
01-09-2003, 07:35 AM
I went with Koni shocks/struts for thier adjustability. I can soften the dampening for the street and put more in for the track, they are spendy but it is nice having that ability.
Brian

I agree on the adjustability part. It was amazing how soft the R would ride when the shocks were full soft and then you could adjust them stiff for the track. I wouldn't use anything else and that is what I ordered for my '93.

As far as coilover kits. From what I've been reading, I would go with the MM kits if they have the Konis available now. They use a little smaller diameter coil which would help on clearances,a higher quality spring, better upper rear mount and I'm sure the kit cost less. Just so you know I'm not biased, I bought the Griggs kit for the '93. (They were included in the highly discounted kit that I bought.)

Cobra-R
01-09-2003, 01:38 PM
I agree on the adjustability part. It was amazing how soft the R would ride when the shocks were full soft and then you could adjust them stiff for the track. I wouldn't use anything else and that is what I ordered for my '93.

As far as coilover kits. From what I've been reading, I would go with the MM kits if they have the Konis available now. They use a little smaller diameter coil which would help on clearances,a higher quality spring, better upper rear mount and I'm sure the kit cost less. Just so you know I'm not biased, I bought the Griggs kit for the '93. (They were included in the highly discounted kit that I bought.)

I agree with you dean. The only potential issue for me was that the Koni's from Griggs came with a steel balljoint for the lower A arm shock mount where I believe the MM Koni's have a uerythane (Hard plastic ?) lower mount. The Griggs one might send a little more noise into the car which may or may not be an issue on a street driven car like Dennis's, but I would at least look into it.
The smaller diameter coils would deffinately be a big advantage with the solid axle cars, dad and I both had to modify the lower shock mounts in the rear to get the clearance you mentioned. On the IRS there seems to be more clearance so I don't think it will be as big of an issue.

poolman
01-23-2003, 01:40 PM
Thanks for all the information Brian and Dean, got the plan together, gotta get up the nerve to start removing parts... maybe in the summer. :D

Got my 03 engine mods out from Paul's High Performance the other day and chickened out! Took me a year to mod the convertible. :eek:

Thanks again for the advice, hope to see you guys in SC in March!

Dennis

sn8kbit
01-23-2003, 05:38 PM
just to throw this out, i talked to MM the other day, the inside diameter of the griggs front/rear springs, and the MM front springs are the same, 2.5 (according to them now...). the MM rear inside diameter is 2.25. like brian said, with the IRS, more clearance so the 2.5 spring shouldn't be an issue from griggs (i'll have a set on mine here in the next couple of weeks). i will however be going with the MM front coilovers, with koni d/a's. both are great kits, money won that one out. i know i've bugged the snot of brian about this the past few days....LOL

(man i've got a ton of stuff to do prior to CMP....)

Cobra-R
01-25-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by sn8kbit
just to throw this out, i talked to MM the other day, the inside diameter of the griggs front/rear springs, and the MM front springs are the same, 2.5 (according to them now...). the MM rear inside diameter is 2.25. like brian said, with the IRS, more clearance so the 2.5 spring shouldn't be an issue from griggs (i'll have a set on mine here in the next couple of weeks). i will however be going with the MM front coilovers, with koni d/a's. both are great kits, money won that one out. i know i've bugged the snot of brian about this the past few days....LOL

(man i've got a ton of stuff to do prior to CMP....)

Are saying you finally made a decision regarding this??:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

sn8kbit
01-25-2003, 12:49 AM
LMAO, yeah, i finally did. going to throw a bunch of stuff up on ebay first of next week.... ;)