PDA

View Full Version : Track tires - Michelin Pilot Sport Cups

Andy M
01-09-2003, 08:03 PM
Folks,

I just bought a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cups from Tire Rack. I will be mounting them on my track rims this weekend and trying them out next week at TWS in College Station, TX. Joe Johnson and I are going to a one day track event over there next Thursday.

I got 4 of them in P285/30/18 size and they come with 6/32's of rubber and are also heat cycled. According to the guy at Tire Rack, alot of SCCA folks are using these now instead of the Hoosiers because you can run them in the rain, AND they last longer. On the down side, they were kinda pricey!! :eek: $340.00 each - heat cycled!!

I will give a full report on what I think of them after my track day next week.

Any one else here have experience yet with these tires??

Joe bought a new set of Pirelli's (the ones advertised on Kenny Brown's web site) and he will be trying those out also next week when we go out to play!

Man, I can't wait to get out on the track again!! Haven't been out to play since MAM, and I am getting very anxious!

Big Daddy
01-10-2003, 09:40 AM
I'm jealous!!! It looks like middle of March before I will hit the road courses again!! :( :( Tell Joe I said hi! HAVE FUN AND BE CAREFUL!! :D ;)

Andy M
01-19-2003, 09:24 PM
Well, Joe and I had a blast at TWS this past Thursday!! However, I am somewhat dissapointed with the level of grip from the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires. Even after several hard laps and subsequent warming up, they still don't come close to the grip of the Hoosiers!

Oh well, I suppose I will have to just buy an extra set of Hoosiers to have in reserve?!!:(

Dean95CobraR
01-20-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Andy M
Even after several hard laps and subsequent warming up, they still don't come close to the grip of the Hoosiers!

Oh well, I suppose I will have to just buy an extra set of Hoosiers to have in reserve?!!:(

Hi Andy.
I had the Pilot Sport Cups on the 994T that I had at MAM in October. I really couldn't give you any feedback because I really haven't had any experience with the car or any other track tire. I did cord the front tires though which doesn't say much for the increase wear you are suppose to get with them. I do think that MAM is brutal on tires though.

Did they seem to wear better than the Hoosiers?