PDA

View Full Version : Harnesses, Helmets, Safety Eqp. Best place to buy?


winddysvt
01-13-2003, 01:30 AM
Does anyone know the best place to buy racing harnesses?

we are looking at the cam lock
(easy to get in and out of...)

we are very interested in the new Schroth - it is very comfortable - and easy to work with...

also, the Corbeau or possibly Simpson.. probably the 4 point

any other suggestions ?

helmets too -

suggestions on the best place to buy ?

thx!

Tim & Bonny

justagt
01-13-2003, 08:28 AM
My first suggestion would be to get at least a 5-point harness. A 4-point tends to creep up your stomach and chest while driving. Just imagine how it would slide up if you hit something.

I use a Willans harness on my side and Simpson on the passerger. I have also use RJS in the past. I have always used the latch instead of the harness. That is just preference. The most important thing is that they are SFI rated and approved.

As far as helmets, again, a lot of it is preference. Make sure it is a quality piece. You get what you pay for and this is possibly going to be saving you life. I personally like Bell, mainly because when I used to ride bikes as a kid, I had a real bad wreck once that a Bell helmet kept me from really getting messed up.

winddysvt
01-13-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by justagt
My first suggestion would be to get at least a 5-point harness. A 4-point tends to creep up your stomach and chest while driving. Just imagine how it would slide up if you hit something.

I use a Willans harness on my side and Simpson on the passerger. I have also use RJS in the past. I have always used the latch instead of the harness. That is just preference. The most important thing is that they are SFI rated and approved.

As far as helmets, again, a lot of it is preference. Make sure it is a quality piece. You get what you pay for and this is possibly going to be saving you life. I personally like Bell, mainly because when I used to ride bikes as a kid, I had a real bad wreck once that a Bell helmet kept me from really getting messed up.

==================


thanks for the info and suggestion!

We at first thought the same thing about the 4-point harness.

However, Schroth and a few others now make a 4 point harness that is made not to ride up. I sat in a car that had them installed and those were extremely comfortable for me....
however, I will look into your 5 point suggestion again...
I really liked the quality of the Schroth - not cheap ......
but hey, were worth it... safety first.
.... For my husband, I think the 5 point would be better, but for me, the 4 point Schroth was the best so far as far as comfort - the 5 points for me (size wize) haven't been working out too well. We have race seats coming this week -


We will also take a look at the Bell helmet. Glad to hear that the Bell saved you!!!!
We have two Bieffe helmets, but need one more for our son :)

kevin
01-13-2003, 10:48 AM
not mentioned (maybe assumed) be sure you get a full face helmet with visor. i know a lot of folks who may go along with the full face in a coupe due to the possibility of hitting something and question the need for the visor. when theing may fly around in side the car (i.e. broken glass) the visor is what keeps it out of your face. if you have a fire, the visor again (assuming you close it while driving).

second on the helmet. lots of the newer ones have far better air ventilation (than when i bought mine in 95). they may cost a bit more, but i'll tell ya now they're well worth it.

on the belts. i don't know the 4point you're talking about bonny, but comfort should be one of the last things considered for safety. when i say that, it may be uncomfortable in the pits, but once you're driving you'll never even notice. if you think of going with the 5point, then consider the 6point as well.

STU
01-13-2003, 12:05 PM
Bonny, comfort should not be your concern here. Safety should be. A 5 or 6 point harness is a lot more important to a slender person like you than a "slighty" larger person like myself. :D It would be a lot easier for a slender person to submarine under the belts than a hevier person like me. If my personal experience counts for anything, then I don't think you can do much better than Simpson.

Andy M
01-13-2003, 12:51 PM
I bought most of my safety stuff from Jegs at www.jegs.com and Racer Parts Wholesale at www.racerpartswholesale.com.

As Kevin mentioned, safety should take a front seat to comfort...of course that being said, the harnesses should be properly installed and should fit without total discomfort.

I have SABELT 5 point (Cam-lock) racing harnesses in my car along with a 6 point roll cage. However, many of the 5 and 6 point harnesses out there can be adapted to street vehicles with the correct setup.

winddysvt
01-13-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Andy M
I bought most of my safety stuff from Jegs at www.jegs.com and Racer Parts Wholesale at www.racerpartswholesale.com.

As Kevin mentioned, safety should take a front seat to comfort...of course that being said, the harnesses should be properly installed and should fit without total discomfort.

I have SABELT 5 point (Cam-lock) racing harnesses in my car along with a 6 point roll cage. However, many of the 5 and 6 point harnesses out there can be adapted to street vehicles with the correct setup.

===============


thanks Andy -

sheesh,
I don't know whether to hug you or to yell at you...

I thought I pretty much had my decision down pat... now, I'm not so sure....

this has been a long difficult road....
I've got a headache...

I've been doing research for months.....

the harnesses are just about my last "project"...

I will check into the Sabelt harnesses.

I do know that the Schroth is a German made harness.
It is DOT approved -
and used by racing schools worldwide.

BMW uses them I believe - and they are getting popular for Mustangs --

the belt i tried out is DOT approved - and very highly recommended by professionals. Thats a good sign right?

but don't worry, we will go check out the 5 point first - maybe I will find one that i like..

winddysvt
01-13-2003, 02:05 PM
thought maybe this might be of interest to you...



"Schroth safety products have been providing racing drivers and car manufacturers with harnesses for over 40 years. All Schroth harness belts feature their patented ASM (anti-submarining) and energy conversion technology in the shoulder portion to reduce head and chest injury. Schroth competition belts are the most advanced light-weight camlock system conforming to SFI 16.1 specifications in the market today, featuring 3" monofile polyester webbing, light weight adjusters, and patented carbon fiber reinforced rotary camlock RFR design. Schroth street-legal harnesses are German TUV approved and have DOT FMVSS209 certification and install to the factory locations of your vehicle. Over 100 dynamic crash tests have gone into the development of the Schroth harness sytems, and are now the official supplier to Formula 1 teams such as Bennetton and Jaguar."

redsnake99
01-13-2003, 02:26 PM
I bought my Simpson harness (5-point camlock) at the Simpson store adjacent to Lowe's Motor Speedway in Concord, NC. Some tracks/events require at least a 5-point harness just to join the event, so getting a 4-point may limit where you can run.

The way mine's attached, I still have the use of the stock belts when I'm doing my everyday stuff, then can use the Simpson ones for competition stuff.

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/members/stanfield.htm



:D

winddysvt
01-13-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by redsnake99
I bought my Simpson harness (5-point camlock) at the Simpson store adjacent to Lowe's Motor Speedway in Concord, NC. Some tracks/events require at least a 5-point harness just to join the event, so getting a 4-point may limit where you can run.

The way mine's attached, I still have the use of the stock belts when I'm doing my everyday stuff, then can use the Simpson ones for competition stuff.

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/members/stanfield.htm



:D

===============


Dave -

you still have the stock seats in there?

with the amount of hp you have,
please, look into seats

We care about you!

Check these out:

http://tenzoracingsports.com/seats/rally/index.html

reclinable, sliding - a nice "compromise" and they run auctions on ebay where you could wind up with an awesome price... including sliders....

just a suggestion.. just my 2 Cents worth.....

taking it from the aspect of man to man...

:D

winddysvt
01-13-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by justagt
My first suggestion would be to get at least a 5-point harness. A 4-point tends to creep up your stomach and chest while driving. Just imagine how it would slide up if you hit something.



-------------



hmmmmm,

I hate wedgies !!
:mad:

thx again for the suggestion

tgentry
01-13-2003, 05:24 PM
Bonny, safety first! I have a 5 point with shoulder pads and it's plenty comfortable. When it's ready for a re-webbing I'll go with 6 point.

Mine is TRW/Sabelt and I'm pretty happy with it. You can sometimes get an excellent price from Racer Wholesale, but they only come in red.

Check with Steve Fuller. I was very impressed with his setup, built in pads everywhere, sternum strap, very high quality, and he said the price was reasonable. My sometimers is getting the best of me and I can't remember the brand though.

winddysvt
01-13-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by tgentry
Bonny, safety first! I have a 5 point with shoulder pads and it's plenty comfortable. When it's ready for a re-webbing I'll go with 6 point.

Mine is TRW/Sabelt and I'm pretty happy with it. You can sometimes get an excellent price from Racer Wholesale, but they only come in red.

Check with Steve Fuller. I was very impressed with his setup, built in pads everywhere, sternum strap, very high quality, and he said the price was reasonable. My sometimers is getting the best of me and I can't remember the brand though.

==============


yup,
safety first.....

I wish we would've done this a long time ago ... fortunately, we didn't have any "excursions" .... but now, if we do, we will be safer....

red's good - we are looking for red with black or white letters...

By the way,
thanks again for the welcome back.

You were right -

I couldn't stay away.....

I missed all of you...

COBRA #17
01-13-2003, 06:38 PM
I have a brand new set of simpsons cam locks that I bought for the pass side of my car but didn't get a pass seat! drop me a line if your interested!!! They are blue. sim-29110 summit part #


hooverracing@aol.com


AI EAST Asst Directior
COBRA #17

redsnake99
01-13-2003, 10:11 PM
Since I drive my 99 Cobra every day, I have left the stock seats in place. With the harnesses good and snug, the seats are fine for me.

I just turned 72,000 miles on old Whistler.

:nope:

winddysvt
01-14-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by COBRA #17
I have a brand new set of simpsons cam locks that I bought for the pass side of my car but didn't get a pass seat! drop me a line if your interested!!! They are blue. sim-29110 summit part #


hooverracing@aol.com


AI EAST Asst Directior
COBRA #17

=================


I would have to die them red --

tim's car is black ---
the seats are black with red accents....

but thanks for your offer!