PDA

View Full Version : airbag light

rocknroll
01-22-2003, 11:55 AM
Help. Anyone ever experience this? I have a '98 Cobra and the airbag idiot light is on and won't go off. Sometimes it will flash with about 2 seconds between lights, other times it just stays on. Sensor? Fuse? Something else? Thanks

smashedheadcat
01-23-2003, 08:20 AM
If it's flashing, then it's trying to tell you the code. Example: If it flashes 5 times, then pauses, and then 2 more, that's code 52. Which is a code that mid 90's stangs get when someone disconnects the battery. I'll see what I can dig up, but I can't promise much. i'm sorry.

smashedheadcat
01-23-2003, 08:28 AM
Okay, since I don't know exactly what's goin on with the air bag indicator, I can't be too specific on what you need to do to fix it. But this link should be very helpful reguardless of what the code is. Turn the key forward in you car, and see what code it's pulling. There should be a second or two in between the flashes. Two flashes, pause......... Three flashes is code 23. Then, once you've figured out what code it is... get on this link http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/airBag/airBag95.html
and find it. It's pretty easy page to navigate. I hope this helps.

rocknroll
01-23-2003, 11:40 AM
Thanks Smashedheadcat (?). Unfortunately right now my car is buried in snow, so it may be a few days until I can test this out. Thanks again. I'll let you know what I find.

smashedheadcat
01-23-2003, 11:50 AM
I hope that can be of some help to ya. Let me know what you find.

rocknroll
01-25-2003, 05:57 PM
O.K, I was finally able to dig my car out of the snow, turned the key and this is what I found: four flashes, one flash - code 41. This is what the manual says for code 41 - RH Radiator Primary Crash Sensor Feed/Return Circuit Open. Anyone know what this means or how to fix it? Thanks again.

smashedheadcat
01-25-2003, 09:53 PM
I'd take it into the dealer. I'm not exactly sure what an "open" sensor means...... maybe disconnected, or just tripped. I'd imagine if it was tripped, it would have set the airbag off. Repairing it doesn't seem to be the hard part though. There's an air bag terminal that allows you to reset codes. It will reset just about every single code with the exception of CODE 41. But, you can reset the code by alternately grounding one of two leads to 2 terminals and alternately ground it or something like that. The procedure seems extremely difficult, but it could be done. I can find the exact procedure if you really want to know and post it for ya. If I was you, I'd take it in and have the dealer fix it.