PDA

View Full Version : Newbie arrival

Bostard
01-23-2003, 03:29 PM
Hi folks. I find it a pleasure to have joined the ranks in SVT. I have been an owner and enthusiast of the SVO for years. I currently have an '86 Mustang SVO with a tricked out 2.3L Turbo.

I am in the process of purchasing a sweetheart of a 99 Cobra. I thought I might be able to get some good support and comradery from you guys. Anything I should be concerned about with the 99? All feedback is welcome. Thanks. :D

smashedheadcat
01-23-2003, 04:28 PM
Welcome to the forums! Shannon (NO 5 OH) seems to be a pretty big SVO enthusiast as well. Maybe he'll chime in here. Okay, the 99 cobras.... They are pretty stout machines if you ask me. Definately beautiful cars. The only thing I know of is the relatively weak half shafts. The independant rear suspension is definately smooth, but I notice that most of the guys/gals drag racing them swap out to the live axle. There are many people that have made them work, and as far as I know, seem to be very happy with them. So, sticky tires, drag strips, and IRS don't get along too well unassisted. That's the only thing i've heard anyone complain about. Other than that, a wonderful, stout automobile with IMO, the best looking style out there now.

97whitevert
01-23-2003, 04:54 PM
HI and welcome!! lots to learn in here, never be afraid to ask!

Big Daddy
01-23-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Bostard
Hi folks. I find it a pleasure to have joined the ranks in SVT. I have been an owner and enthusiast of the SVO for years. I currently have an '86 Mustang SVO with a tricked out 2.3L Turbo.

I am in the process of purchasing a sweetheart of a 99 Cobra. I thought I might be able to get some good support and comradery from you guys. Anything I should be concerned about with the 99? All feedback is welcome. Thanks. :D

Welcome aboard!! The only thing to check on the '99's is there was a "fix" for the HP not being up to snuff. Ask the current owner if it's had the "fix" if so BUY IT! :D :D :thumbsup: If not call a SVT Dealer and see if you can still get it done.

Bostard
01-23-2003, 06:51 PM
Thanks guys! You know how to make a guy feel welcome. I did get the good news from the current owner that the "HP fix" was done a while ago with noticeable improvement. He says there never was a vibration problem at all and if there was it is long gone because of suspension upgrade mods.

It has the Novi 1000 kit, bassani xpipe, along with other goodies. As soon as the delivery arrives I'll post pictures and details. Thanks again.

smashedheadcat
01-23-2003, 08:36 PM
NOVI huh?? :D

I'd do a compression check, and the leak-down check personally. See if he can provide you with a dyno sheet, or ask if it's been tuned. I'd hate to see you get the short end of the stick on this deal. I just don't want to see ya buy a car that's losing compression without you knowing about it. If all is good, you're defiantely picking up one sweet ride, and I can't wait to see some pics of it:thumbsup:

Bostard
01-23-2003, 09:58 PM
Yup! Got the dyno print out. Shows 421rwhp. Not bad. It will be thoroughly checked over before the final signature is made. The car has been babied and garage kept with only 23k miles. I'm excited about it. I have pics of it now but won't post them until the car is officially mine. (I'll bet you can guess what my avatar will be) Otherwise I'd be posting pics of someone elses car. :eek:

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it. Keep it comin.

NO 5 OH
01-25-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by smashedheadcat
Welcome to the forums! Shannon (NO 5 OH) seems to be a pretty big SVO enthusiast as well. Maybe he'll chime in here. Okay, the 99 cobras.... They are pretty stout machines if you ask me. Definately beautiful cars. The only thing I know of is the relatively weak half shafts. The independant rear suspension is definately smooth, but I notice that most of the guys/gals drag racing them swap out to the live axle. There are many people that have made them work, and as far as I know, seem to be very happy with them. So, sticky tires, drag strips, and IRS don't get along too well unassisted. That's the only thing i've heard anyone complain about. Other than that, a wonderful, stout automobile with IMO, the best looking style out there now.

Why thank you for the props Josh... I appreciate it ;) ;)

Yes, half shafts are one of the weak links... with a Novi 1000 on board that might be a concern sometime down the road. Just don't bolt slicks up to it and you should be fine. With that kinda HP and the rear hooking you're liable to do to the half shafts what my SVO did to the 7.5" :D :D As long as it had the HP fix and no vibe, you should be fine. Might wanna check and make sure it had the knuckle recall done on it as well.

And exactly how "tricked" out is your SVO? Mine was pretty much stock... $600 worth of mods yeilded 230 hp and 306 tq through the stock exhaust on the stock T3... with a 9.10 in the 1/8th mile at 76.8 mph :) I put 3" exhaust on it, bolted up a set of Nitto's and the 7.5" went boom. While it's currently down I got a lot of stuff going on it... perhaps we might get to talk some about the "little engine that could" sometime soon.

Shannon

Bostard
01-25-2003, 02:14 AM
Hey Shannon,

I'm always up for good conversation on the 4banger front. I just finished rebuilding the SVO. It now sports a nice ported big valve head, ported intake, ported E6, Turbonetics T3/T04B, ATR DP, and a TC IC. I drove it for about 2 months and blew the stock T5. Now the tranny is out and I'm swapping in a WC T5 from a HP 5.0. Still got the 7.5 with 3.73's. I am sure it will be the next to go. Good thing I have an 8.8 sitting in wait.

Great numbers on your SVO for only $600 invested. I haven't dynoed mine yet but plan on it soon. I'll post the numbers when I get them. We got lots to talk about. :thumbsup:

ps. can you give me more info on this knuckle fix? I haven't heard about that one.

smashedheadcat
01-25-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by NO 5 OH
Why thank you for the props Josh... I appreciate it ;) ;)

Shannon

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: No worries!! You're the only guy on here there I see playing with SVO's. Figured I'd send our new forum member your direction so you guys could compare "notes" or something. Speaking of which, i found a Silver SVO for pretty cheap. Looks to be in descent shape (body wise anyway). I don't know much about them though.

NO 5 OH
01-25-2003, 02:15 PM
ps. can you give me more info on this knuckle fix? I haven't heard about that one.

The knuckle recall was called for on all 99 Cobra's... it was fixed during assembly run of all 01 models. It has something to do with the rear end assembly, but I can't remember exactly what it consists of. Some other 99 owner may help me out on this one. I'd say though since the car has been taken care of/babied it probably was done. If not since it was a recall then you can have it done free of charge ;)

As far as having the 7.5" in your car, please do me a favor and DON'T BOLT SLICKS UP TO IT!!!! I put on a set of 275/50-15 Nitto Drag Radials on a pair of Weld Pro-Star rims and the rear, er rest is history. The combo it took to get 230 to the wheels went like this:

Turbo XS manual boost controller, set at 21 psi on 100 octane
Turbocoupe Intercooler
Tiny Avenger Compressor Bypass
Tiny Avenger Cold Air
Custom small tube header by Bob Lee

I then put the exhaust on it soon after that... ATR 3" downpipe off turbo, with internal wastegate, ATR 3" to 2 1/2" y-pipe, 5.0L Magnaflow catback. I've got a bunch of other stuff to go on it right now as well a "partial list to save bandwidth ;)

T3/TO4E 60 trim stage 3 turbo with .63 A/R from Precision Turbo
Modified Grand National Intercooler w/Duttweiler neck
Gutted Upper/Ported Lower intakes
MSD-6AL with Blaster Coil
Fluidyne aluminum radiator
Flex-a-lite dual 12" spal fan
Simple Digital Systems (SDS) stand alone engine management
Seimens/Deca 83 lph injectors
TurboCoupe 8.8 with 3.55 gear
Ford Racing Aluminum Driveshaft

And some other stuff as well... I'd have a whole page filled with all the stuff that's going on it right now. I'm sure you get an idea of where it's going. The only thing I won't have on it when it's done is a ported big valved head or cam... if I ever save up some more money that'll be going on it as well. Plans are currently to have it to the club dyno day on the 15th of next month... we'll hopefully see what it'll put down :D

NO 5 OH
01-25-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by smashedheadcat
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: No worries!! You're the only guy on here there I see playing with SVO's. Figured I'd send our new forum member your direction so you guys could compare "notes" or something. Speaking of which, i found a Silver SVO for pretty cheap. Looks to be in descent shape (body wise anyway). I don't know much about them though.

Don't know much about them... well that's why I'm here ;) ;) Depending on what year model it is, I can tell you whatever you need to know. Main thing to look for on the body is if everything is all there... meaning all the unique SVO parts. There are several parts on the cars that are obsolete now from Ford (and have been for some time) but can be found if you look for them. The cars can also be found fairly cheap, but you have to be carefull about what you're getting if it's cheap and it's been ragged out. The cars are fun and capable machines... let me know if you need any information on them :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bostard
01-25-2003, 03:01 PM
Sounds like a great setup. It's nice to rap with someone who actually knows these cars. I am envious of the SDS system. Friends I have who run it really like it. Very user friendly. Maybe some day. For now I'm just runnin the stock fuel system with the 255lph pump. Its been good to me so far.

83 lph injectors.....holy huge. Do you plan on getting a big T-70 to go with them? I can just hear the whoosh of gas leaving your tank. :eek: haha.

You'll have to let me know if you like the GN IC setup. I have been considering that setup along with rigging the TCIC in the front somehow.

Is your header the log that Bob has been selling a bunch of? Looks like a nice piece. I have been waiting to get some good bottom line results from the header shootout that pnrvegas is supposed to do. I think he has about 5 or 6 headers in his trunk that he's supposed to compare. He lives just down the street from me. I know the original reason was the dyno was down. But that was months ago. I'll get an update soon.

You got any pics of your SVO? Check out my website to see what I did this last summer. I need to update it though. I love the 2.3. It is like the kid brother to my cobra. Keep me posted on your updates.my website (http://bossman.itgo.com)

Later, Nate

winddysvt
01-25-2003, 03:09 PM

===============

welcome !!

Come on in make yourself at home.

Take your shoes off, y'all come back y'hear?

Honestly -
you'll like it here...
any questions? Just ask !!

:thumbsup:

Bostard
01-25-2003, 04:02 PM
Thanks windy. Glad to be here.

smashedheadcat
01-25-2003, 04:16 PM
Bostard---

Did you get your cobra yet?? I see there's a cobra on the Avator....

winddysvt
01-25-2003, 04:23 PM
Thanks windy. Glad to be here.

=================

what color is your '99?:cool:

Bostard
01-25-2003, 05:03 PM
Smashed.....I don't have it yet and I feel like a kid on Christmas morning. I feel kinda guilty even talking about it yet because it isn't here. I just wanted to hook up with you guys as soon as possible. It is still enrt from the east coast.

Windy....It's Rio Red.

I'll post the pics of it the day it gets here. My digital camera is itchin already.

NO 5 OH
01-25-2003, 09:31 PM
Sounds like a great setup. It's nice to rap with someone who actually knows these cars. I am envious of the SDS system. Friends I have who run it really like it. Very user friendly. Maybe some day. For now I'm just runnin the stock fuel system with the 255lph pump. Its been good to me so far.

83 lph injectors.....holy huge. Do you plan on getting a big T-70 to go with them? I can just hear the whoosh of gas leaving your tank. :eek: haha.

You'll have to let me know if you like the GN IC setup. I have been considering that setup along with rigging the TCIC in the front somehow.

Is your header the log that Bob has been selling a bunch of? Looks like a nice piece. I have been waiting to get some good bottom line results from the header shootout that pnrvegas is supposed to do. I think he has about 5 or 6 headers in his trunk that he's supposed to compare. He lives just down the street from me. I know the original reason was the dyno was down. But that was months ago. I'll get an update soon.

You got any pics of your SVO? Check out my website to see what I did this last summer. I need to update it though. I love the 2.3. It is like the kid brother to my cobra. Keep me posted on your updates.my website (http://bossman.itgo.com)

Later, Nate

You know... it's kinda funny you mention ole' Pat. He's actually the person I got quite a few things from... namely the SDS and the injectors that were originally on his car. I also got him to order the turbo for me, and there were a few other things as well. Sadly I haven't heard from him in two months now and there are still parts he has yet to send me. I don't know what's happened to him and I haven't been able to get a hold of him either. I sent a letter off to him this week as a last resort of trying to get back in contact with him.

The header I have on the car is Bob's log header, but it was one of his first ones. It cracked after being on the car about 4 months or so... I got it off some time back and it's gonna be sent back to him as well as my intakes sometime this week. He's gonna warranty the header and send me a ceramic coated "big log" in it's place. The intercooler set-up was supposed to be something Pat was sending me a sort of "pre-fabbed" kit for the elbows and intercooler piping. Since I don't have the piping and hoses/clamps yet I'm having to do it myself... and custom doing the install takes a bit of time and planning. I'll let you know how it runs once we get it going. If I make it to the dyno with it middle of February it won't have the SDS or the injectors in it yet... that'll come later :) :)

I've got several pics taken of the car... quite a few as it's been disassembled and reassembled as well. They're not up on the web yet as the friend that's helping me out hasn't gotten them downloaded to his camera yet. It's black with leather and sunroof... with 40,000 original miles on the odometer :D

I'll post pics when we get them up on the web :thumbsup:

smashedheadcat
01-26-2003, 01:28 AM
I just checked out your website Bostard. Looks like the engine went together really nicely. Definately looks a heck of a lot better. Real nice! Shannon, you need one of those websites. I wouldn't mind reading a build up on your motor too ;) :D These SVO's are starting to interest me. (not that I can do anything about it, even if I wanted to)

Bostard
01-26-2003, 04:40 PM
Josh,

I think you should find a good SVO and get muddy with us. They are really a fun car to play with. The camaro and 5.0 guys really get fiesty when you beat them with a 4 banger. The SVO is a little tempermental and needs some good car knowledge but I think you'd be up to the task.

Shannon,

I talk to Pat on a pretty regular basis so I will put in a plug to see if I can find out what the deal is. He's always running around with his head cut off. So have you given him money and he has not supplied parts? Did I understand that right? I think Pat's a great guy. He just living the vida loca and can be a great procrastinator. I'll let you know.

Nate

smashedheadcat
01-26-2003, 05:06 PM
Josh,

I think you should find a good SVO and get muddy with us. They are really a fun car to play with. The camaro and 5.0 guys really get fiesty when you beat them with a 4 banger. The SVO is a little tempermental and needs some good car knowledge but I think you'd be up to the task.

Nate

I'd like to, but that's definately not in my financial favor to be looking into that. I'm definately in a deep hole right now, and i'm fighting to get out of it. I'm doing pretty well though, and as soon as I can knock out a bill or 2, I'll still have to get some money put away. The only thing I could really do, is sell the cobra for a cheaper one, and then look at different toys.

Bostard
01-26-2003, 05:08 PM
nah, keep the cobra

smashedheadcat
01-26-2003, 05:17 PM
nah, keep the cobra

:D:D

NO 5 OH
01-26-2003, 06:06 PM
Josh,

Shannon,

I talk to Pat on a pretty regular basis so I will put in a plug to see if I can find out what the deal is. He's always running around with his head cut off. So have you given him money and he has not supplied parts? Did I understand that right? I think Pat's a great guy. He just living the vida loca and can be a great procrastinator. I'll let you know.

Nate

Getting muddy with us eh ;) ;) I can think of getting dirty more or less... but never muddy :D :D Well... unless you count how it looks right now, it's sorta dirty :rotf: You're right about the Camaro and Five Liter contingency getting fiesty when you out run them... especially when you walk off from a LS1 from about a 60 roll :D :D The best is with the import guys... they never know quite what to make of a turbo Mustang :cool: :cool:

Nate I'd appreciate it if you'd talk to Pat for me... I don't wanna have to get nasty with him as he's a good guy to deal with, but it's been 2 1/2 months almost since I've heard from him and I paid for the parts a long time back... I think around the end of October if I remember correctly. Let me know what you find out.

Nice site BTW. I wish the engine compartment on mine looked that clean... perhaps it will once I get it all back together. I'll get pics up when I can :thumbsup:

winddysvt
01-26-2003, 07:45 PM
Speaking of SVO's, several weeks ago we had a chance to take Tim's '99 for a ride (no salt on the roads)...

we drove all over the place...

I was driving and these four guys in an older SVO drove up next to us. Their car was a little rough, but it sounded awesome and they were happy. They complemented us on Tim's car and asked me to rev it up -- well, ofcourse, who can resist?

I did and they gave us the thumbs up (we have Magnaflows, and it sounds wide open and awesome)...

anyway, there was nobody around so we both started reving up just for fun. The light changed, I took off slowly to prevent the wheel spin and then took off. They took off in hot pursuit, and did quite well until I hit third and I was gone....

They came up to us at the next light and we talked about each others cars ...... we hit it again and that little car poured its out out with them four guys in there.. it tried hard, he drove it well, and that was fun. I wish there were more guys around like that..... most of them won't even look at you....

I like SVO's :thumbsup: :bounce:

Bostard
01-27-2003, 01:55 AM
Awe Bonnie, you're so humble. Leave those poor 4 cylinder guys alone.

:D

winddysvt
01-27-2003, 09:19 AM

-------------

ok,
ok
ok ....

so, I was playing with them....

but, heck
we was having fun and so were they....

I think, there are four young guys that are scheming and planning on buying a Cobra someday.....

a black '99 - modified
definitely modified!
...... :cool: :D :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

winddysvt
01-27-2003, 09:28 AM

=============

besides,
I was beeeeing easy on 'em....

the faster car was at home, sleeping......

Bostard
01-27-2003, 05:33 PM
Make it real fun.......Run em against your F350.:rotf:

winddysvt
01-27-2003, 07:57 PM
Make it real fun.......Run em against your F350.:rotf:

===============

pssssst...

has someone already told you about me.... ??

:rolleyes: :D

Bostard
01-28-2003, 02:25 PM
haha. No. I am just a very good judge of character.

winddysvt
01-28-2003, 05:44 PM
haha. No. I am just a very good judge of character.

==============

is that good or bad?

:cool:

actually, most of the time the F350 is pulling something .....

does that count? :doubt:

ac427cobra
02-02-2003, 01:25 AM
Hey Bos:

Welcome to the site:thumbsup:

Sorry I'm late :(

Enjoy that Cobra:bounce:

Bostard
02-02-2003, 06:06 PM
Thanks Bruce. You guys are all great. Pictures should be coming at the end of this week. I'll post em then. Woohoo

Bostard
02-07-2003, 10:58 PM
Hey guys, just thought you might like to catch a glimpse of the Cobra. I finally got pics to post. Eventually my website will contain all the details but for now I'm still learning web design.

http://www.bossman.itgo.com/images/dcp_0191mod.jpg

I don't know why it just threw in a link instead of the pic. Do I need to have more posts on the board to post pics?

ac427cobra
02-08-2003, 12:15 AM
Hey Bos:

I don't think you are restricted from posting a pic. Just use the "browse" button just above the send reply button.

Bostard
02-08-2003, 03:31 AM
How's that?

ac427cobra
02-08-2003, 09:15 PM
SWEET :thumbsup:

Bostard
02-09-2003, 05:42 AM

winddysvt
02-18-2003, 02:20 PM
beautiful Cobra !!

:thumbsup: :bounce:

Bostard
02-18-2003, 03:32 PM
Thanks windy. I really love the car and hope to have it for many years to come. I think my SVO has become very jealous.

smashedheadcat
02-20-2003, 05:58 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

White98SVT
02-20-2003, 10:43 PM
Welcome aboard:bounce:

Bostard
02-21-2003, 01:35 PM
I am in the process of trying to put together some video. I hope it turns out so I can post it soon. Thanks again for the welcome guys.

traderman73
02-23-2003, 01:45 PM
hello i am a rookie here i have 99 black on black cobra conv. and i was wondering how to find out what number he was coming out of the factory thanks all

Bostard
02-23-2003, 04:47 PM
call 1-800-FORD-SVT and submit your VIN number. Your certificate should take about two to three weeks to be mailed to you.