PDA

View Full Version : Modular Engine Installation

smashedheadcat
02-04-2003, 08:57 PM
Well, alas the long awaited day had come. I got the call from the wizards in Benson at about 3pm monday afternoon. I picked up the engine, and brought it back to it's resting place. I got back too late last night to do anything with it, but I did start a few things today. Right now i'm at a standstill til Thursday. I'm waiting on flywheel bolts and my pressure plate bolts... They're supposed to be here on Thursday. This is going to be a lot of fun putting this thing back in, but it's come at a crappy time. I deploy on monday, and I won't have much time to work on it before then. I've got a camera ready to take as many pictures as possible. I'll post what I can, but I'll have to drop the last wrench Sunday for 3 months. I just want to extend my deepest thanks to everyone in the club, True Blue Performance, and everyone else that's helped out. I'll get some pics on here Friday evening. :D

Ken 01-Cobra
02-04-2003, 10:58 PM
Get the engine in, get it tuned up, and romp on her once or twice before you deploy man! The smile will keep you going for your 3 month stint in the desert! :D It would be worth it even if it meant staying up late! If I was there, I would be banging on your door saying let's go fix the car!

smashedheadcat
02-04-2003, 11:04 PM
I figured it's be more of a hassle than what it's worth if i dump the motor in the car without putting on that fly wheel and clutch first. If I dump it in the car, then I have to do those long tubes on my back:nope: I don't know if I can sit around and wait on those bolts though. I'm ready for action :getsome: but it's gotta be put on hold.

Ken 01-Cobra
02-04-2003, 11:22 PM
Hmmm, there should be SOME way to come up with the bolts! There isn't a junk yard around there? Ah well, once they come in, you should be able to jump on it and get it in.

smashedheadcat
02-05-2003, 01:11 PM
They're here!! I'll get the camera ready, and I'll tear into this thing!!

Ken 01-Cobra
02-05-2003, 04:40 PM
Cool...look out world...the anticipation is building! ;)

(just be gentle with her for the break in period...)

Big Daddy
02-05-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by smashedheadcat
Well, alas the long awaited day had come. I got the call from the wizards in Benson at about 3pm monday afternoon. I picked up the engine, and brought it back to it's resting place. I got back too late last night to do anything with it, but I did start a few things today. Right now i'm at a standstill til Thursday. I'm waiting on flywheel bolts and my pressure plate bolts... They're supposed to be here on Thursday. This is going to be a lot of fun putting this thing back in, but it's come at a crappy time. I deploy on monday, and I won't have much time to work on it before then. I've got a camera ready to take as many pictures as possible. I'll post what I can, but I'll have to drop the last wrench Sunday for 3 months. I just want to extend my deepest thanks to everyone in the club, True Blue Performance, and everyone else that's helped out. I'll get some pics on here Friday evening. :D

CONGRATS JOSH!! Have fun putting it back together. AND when it is please make sure you get it dyno tuned before running it hard! :D ;) :thumbsup:

smashedheadcat
02-05-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Ken 01-Cobra
Cool...look out world...the anticipation is building! ;)

(just be gentle with her for the break in period...)

I ripped into it like it was my job today. I got a lot done today. I scammed out of work at 1pm and just got done working on it. Problem is, I forgot the camera, and I didn't want to burn daylight going to get it (10 minute drive each way). One thing that troubled me, was my chain position on the cherry picker. It made the engine want to twist (rear toward the passenger side). Since I didn't help today, it made things difficult. I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off. I also lost a header bolt, so I had to run into town to match one up. I found an exact match believe it or not. I put it in the easiest spot to reach so I can make sure it doesn't back itself out on me. :D

smashedheadcat
02-05-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Big Daddy
CONGRATS JOSH!! Have fun putting it back together. AND when it is please make sure you get it dyno tuned before running it hard! :D ;) :thumbsup:

I'll get it dyno'd, but I doubt i'll be able to drive it before I ship out. i leave on monday, and my parents are coming in Friday night. Work time is gonna be limited, but not non-existant. My dad will want to check out the progress, and while we're there........ may as well turn a wrench or two ;) Thank you Greg. I'm having fun doing this, but i never want to do it again to my own car. I'll help someone else, but I don't want to do it to mine again.

smashedheadcat
02-05-2003, 08:29 PM
**Installed after day 1**
Flywheel
Clutch
Transmission
BBK longtubes
Engine bolted to K-member

Ken 01-Cobra
02-06-2003, 01:15 AM
Well, just get her back together. She'll wait for you to get back from the desert to get the tuning done. Sounds like you made major progress today! Hope you at least get to fire her up before you leave.

Big Daddy
02-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by smashedheadcat
**Installed after day 1**
Flywheel
Clutch
Transmission
BBK longtubes
Engine bolted to K-member

Great news dude!! I know you'll get her done and when you get back from the latest tour she'll be "READY TO RUMBLE"!! :D :D :thumbsup:

smashedheadcat
02-06-2003, 07:28 AM
I'm gonna try to get out of work today pretty early. If I could get out for the rest of the day at 9am or so, I could start it up tonight I bet. Ha ha ha. I've got to try some fabricating on the fuel line that I broke though.

smashedheadcat
02-07-2003, 09:53 AM
I didn't get much done yesterday, but I did get the O2 sensors in, emissions tubes for the headers, transmission crossmember, and driveshaft in. It's coming together, but the clock is ticking, and ticking a little too fast.

spittincobra01
02-07-2003, 05:06 PM
Josh,
good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine.... but don't rush! everything always seems to mess up when your are in a hurry
Matt

smashedheadcat
02-07-2003, 07:16 PM
A lot of various thing were connected this evening. Many many of them. I've got to bolt that power steering pump on, and after that, the radiator, fan, then blower and water box. Finally the H-pipe and the shifter. Anybody seen some O2 extension wires:lurk:????