PDA

View Full Version : Finally bought a track car...

rshelbygt
02-06-2003, 11:20 PM
After months and months of searching...I finally bought a track car. I don't know who is happier...me or my wife (the entire car-searching ordeal was starting to get on her nerves!). I want to thank Bryan Shugg for all his advice/expertise (and for driving/checking this car out before I bought it).

Looks like I need to send in my SCMC registration............:D :D

Big Daddy
02-07-2003, 12:14 AM
CONGRATS!! Welcome to the Addiction....err I mean Club! :D :D ;) :cool: :thumbsup:

Mystic_Cobra
02-07-2003, 12:36 AM
Congrats, Dude!
Judging by the rims, hood, and spoiler, I'm guessing it's a 98?
Any mods?

I still got a 96 Mystic for sale....

johnbasf
02-07-2003, 05:37 AM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Let's have a wire gutting party!!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

97whitevert
02-07-2003, 09:26 AM
Congrats Jason!! and Robin- for getting you car back!!!!:D

justagt
02-07-2003, 10:11 AM
Congrats, Jason. Definitely a good move in getting one just for the track. If you start tearing into, let me know and I'll help you out.

kevin
02-07-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by johnbasf
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Let's have a wire gutting party!!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

congrats:thumbsup:

john, why stop with the wires?;)

rshelbygt
02-07-2003, 11:40 AM
Thanks all!!

Yeah...it's a 1998. The only mods it had were a K&N and some Eibach's. I'm going to add some SS brake lines next week and flush the brake system...I'll run it at VIR the way it sits. Then it's time to buy some 6-point harnesses and install the Autopower cage that's sitting in the garage.

This year will not see many mods to the car. I'm spending my money on TRACK TIME!!:D :D Can't get enough of that:thumbsup:

svt_coupe
02-07-2003, 01:51 PM
If there is anyone that deserves a track car, it's Jason. Man did he wait a long time for it!!!! How many cars did you look at? (to say nothing of the number of car you showed me!!)

I appreciate the compliment, Jay, but I think you know more about a good car than I do. My expertise consists of: "Does it go fast? Good. Does it stop well. Even better."

Enjoy it bud. You deserve it.

SIUNARA
02-07-2003, 03:43 PM
It's about time you let everybody know...I was having a hard time not saying anything. ;) Congrats again on the new car...I'm sure life in the Smith household has been better since it's arrival!! :D ;) Can't wait to see it in person!!

johnbasf
02-07-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by rshelbygt
Thanks all!!

Yeah...it's a 1998. The only mods it had were a K&N and some Eibach's. I'm going to add some SS brake lines next week and flush the brake system...I'll run it at VIR the way it sits. Then it's time to buy some 6-point harnesses and install the Autopower cage that's sitting in the garage.

This year will not see many mods to the car. I'm spending my money on TRACK TIME!!:D :D Can't get enough of that:thumbsup:

So will you be joinong us at CMP March 15-16???:D :D

COBRA #17
02-07-2003, 08:41 PM
Well I will drop by Walmart and get a case of Blistex and icy hot. I am sure you have very dry lips and sore knees from KISSING & BEGGING !!!!:D :rotf:

LOOKS GOOD you had better get to work you have some catching up to do with John!!!

Hope you and Robin are well !!!:thumbsup:

AI EAST Asst Director
COBRA #17

johnbasf
02-07-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by COBRA #17
Well I will drop by Walmart and get a case of Blistex and icy hot. I am sure you have very dry lips and sore knees from KISSING & BEGGING !!!!:D :rotf:

LOOKS GOOD you had better get to work you have some catching up to do with John!!!

Hope you and Robin are well !!!:thumbsup:

AI EAST Asst Director
COBRA #17

So you coming to CMP March 15-16? :rotf:

COBRA #17
02-07-2003, 11:24 PM
IF you are asking if I am coming John? I'm not coming down in march. No more trips to the sand box than I have too!!:D

I will give you a ride to Guss's in April though!!! :thumbsup:

How's your car coming?? Got to through that in here to encourage Jason !!!!:D

AI EAST Asst. Director
COBRA #17

Andy M
02-07-2003, 11:35 PM
Congrats!!! Welcome to our wonderful addictive world of open track! Hope to meet you at one of the SCMC events in the future.

rshelbygt
02-08-2003, 12:23 AM
Yep...I'm heading to VIR in two weeks, then CMP for the SCMC weekend (3/15-16)and the CRMC weekend (3/29-30). I'm very glad I have an understanding wife!

:thumbsup:

Phat-S
02-11-2003, 02:17 PM
Scared of the Honda Civic were we? Oh man!!! Lost another good guy to the dagone dark side again!!! ARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH!

Shoot, we FFers need a better ad campaign :( Sagafrassenrussendamnedv8sruginsuffrinshisafussin... (whatever that dude in Laff-A-Lympics used to say :))

In all seriousness, way cool Jason. I can personally attest that it is far more fun playing on track with a car bought with that in mind. Have fun and let me know when its lexan cuttin' and paintin' time.

SIUNARA
02-11-2003, 03:38 PM
Adam,

Ever heard that saying "you're a day late and a dollar short"? I bought the Civic from Jason for a winter/work car, and after driving it for a few days I went through a phase where I was going to build that car for the track!! The handling is amazing for a basic 91 Civic. I e-mailed a guy with a similar Civic (track car) and after hashing several issues out, I decided to stick with the stang. If it were a Civic Si, I can almost guarantee it would be getting prepped for the track right now...but with only 70 horsepower and a 4 speed, I just couldn't do it...the car needed to much to make it worth while for me. :)

Phat-S
02-11-2003, 05:18 PM
We might have lost Jason to you AI guys but I ain't giving up :D

Just a note on the base 89-91 Honda Civic: This car is classed in SCCA ITC. This past year, the ITC S.I.C. (SARRC Invitational Challenge) Pole Sitter out qualified the ITB Pole Sitter. The car he drove??? 19and91 base model Civic hatchback. A guy in the Honda-Challenge just bought it to race ITC in the SCCA and believe me, he got a TON of car plus spares plus the thing uses no tires for a fraction of what he sold his race car. Just to put it in perspective, the ITC Lap Record at Carolina Motorsports Park (held by a rather quick chap I might add) is a 1:55.725. That was in a VW Scirroco and that is (from the factory) at 70 hp car too ... on a good day :)

Peace out guys and do realize that I would LOVE to race an AI car, I think I am a bit scared of the power (shoot, I'm scared at what my 944 could do fully prepped). Who knows, maybe some day .... til then, I'm gonna convert one of you guys :):):)

Seriously Don, there is a wealth of IT Honda brains in the southeast - if you are interested at all in the car's potential in ITC, I would be happy to get you some guys to call - these things driven hard enough can flat out move.

johnbasf
02-11-2003, 05:56 PM
Hey Adam!! I learned a lot last year. The biggest thing I learned is HP isn't everything. I was very impressed with ALL the race classes. 1:55 is very impressive at CMP!!!

SIUNARA
02-12-2003, 03:58 PM
Adam,

I'm willing to entertain the idea again...I just don't see how a 70 horsepower 4 speed car will run sub 2:00 minute times at CMP...not that I can do that with the Mustang yet, but the potential is there. Shoot me some names or resources and I'll check things out again. :)

svt_coupe
02-12-2003, 05:53 PM
I just don't see how a 70 horsepower 4 speed car will run sub 2:00 minute times at CMP...

Now you done it, Don.... :D :D

SIUNARA
02-12-2003, 07:04 PM
I can see that quote now...circulating on the honda-tech boards...anybody want to give me a hand opening my mouth so I can insert my foot? ;)

johnbasf
02-12-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by SIUNARA
I can see that quote now...circulating on the honda-tech boards...anybody want to give me a hand opening my mouth so I can insert my foot? ;)

There will be a foot somewhere else if you build a RICER!!! Sorry Adam, old buddy!!! I do NOT want Adam as a enemy!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Phat-S
02-13-2003, 09:33 AM
John, I only use my "power" for good :D

johnbasf
02-13-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Phat-S
John, I only use my "power" for good :D

I feel better now!!!:bounce:

johnbasf
02-24-2003, 06:46 PM
So, how did you like the track car at VIR????

rshelbygt
02-24-2003, 08:28 PM
So, how did you like the track car at VIR????

Had a great time with the car at VIR. That is an awesome course! We thought we were going to have to build an ark to get out of there (it rained all day Saturday). Sunday was awesome!! We had a great group there....BIG FUN. We missed the rest of you---see you all at CMP in a few???????

Here's a picture for Don...I know he needs a fix:

johnbasf
02-24-2003, 09:01 PM
Had a great time with the car at VIR. That is an awesome course! We thought we were going to have to build an ark to get out of there (it rained all day Saturday). Sunday was awesome!! We had a great group there....BIG FUN. We missed the rest of you---see you all at CMP in a few???????

Here's a picture for Don...I know he needs a fix:

Don hell, I need a fix!!! Glad to hear you had a good time.

SIUNARA
02-24-2003, 09:19 PM
You can tell I wasn't there this weekend...there's no finger marks on that wheel!!! ;) Can't wait for CMP!!! :D

wildhorsesracin
02-25-2003, 10:38 PM
VIR was awesome as usual - once the track dried out - it was fun chasing Jason and ShuggyButt around in Price's 95 Cobra...

It was an eye opening experience to see how close the two cars are in performance... 5.0 vs 4.6...

wildhorsesracin
02-25-2003, 10:43 PM
I bought the Civic from Jason for a winter/work car, and after driving it for a few days I went through a phase where I was going to build that car for the track!!

Unfortunately driving a civic on a track is like riding a moped... it might be fun but you wouldn't want your friends to see you... :D :D :D :D :thumbsup:

2KWhiteSnake
02-25-2003, 11:43 PM
Congrats Jason! Great looking car. March 15th is gonna be a blast. See you and Don at the Jameson Inn on Friday night.

Craig

SIUNARA
02-27-2003, 12:16 AM
Hey now...driving a Civic on track can't be any worse than driving a Mustang with a banana yellow front splitter now can it? ;) :thumbsup:

johnbasf
02-27-2003, 12:51 AM
Hey now...driving a Civic on track can't be any worse than driving a Mustang with a banana yellow front splitter now can it? ;) :thumbsup:

That's not a spoiler it's a PLOW!!!:D :D

wildhorsesracin
02-27-2003, 09:27 AM
It is designed to blind you as I set up to pass...:D :D

You'll only have to worry about it being in your rear view mirror for a few seconds every other lap... :thumbsup: :bounce: :thumbsup:

It is for 'scooping' slower cars out of the way, kind of like a 'snow plow' - hence the yellow color... ;) :D :eek:

johnbasf
03-05-2003, 08:07 PM
Have you got that thing ready for CMP Jason??? :D :D

rshelbygt
03-05-2003, 08:14 PM
Almost... We put the 6 point Autopower cage in it this weekend. The harnesses and exhaust are due in tomorrow. All that's left is an oil change and I should be good to go. Can't wait to see all of you crazy fools again.;)

John...will the Mystic be done??? We are trying to get Shugg's car ready for the event. Those damn spark plugs can be a nightmare;) ;)

2KWhiteSnake
03-05-2003, 09:59 PM
Gonna be fun Jason...can's wait!

Craig

wildhorsesracin
03-05-2003, 10:12 PM
rshelbygt said:
We are trying to get Shugg's car ready for the event. Those damn spark plugs can be a nightmare

Know what you mean! I wish my D!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: MN sparkplugs would show up!!!

johnbasf
03-05-2003, 10:57 PM
Almost... We put the 6 point Autopower cage in it this weekend. The harnesses and exhaust are due in tomorrow. All that's left is an oil change and I should be good to go. Can't wait to see all of you crazy fools again.;)

John...will the Mystic be done??? We are trying to get Shugg's car ready for the event. Those damn spark plugs can be a nightmare;) ;)

It is sitting on the tires now. I still have to get the exhaust out the side. Jason, Don and Craig are in the same run group!!!! :bounce: I will be out there with you guys some also.

wildhorsesracin
03-05-2003, 11:13 PM
John,
What are you doing for an exhaust?

I am replacing mine with one that tucks up closer to the bottom of my car and wondered what other people are doing?

I am facing the challenge of making an 'X' pipe that clears the transmission x-member, the MM torque arm and exits after the subframe connectors... send me pics if you do yours before this weekend (that's when I am cutting/bending/welding mine!)

SIUNARA
03-06-2003, 10:48 AM
Jason, Don and Craig are in the same run group!!!! I will be out there with you guys some also.

Thanks for the heads up John. :) Try not to make me look too bad guys...I'll be in the fox this time around...you know...the car with the brakes the size of a Krispy Kreme donut!! ;) :thumbsup:

rshelbygt
03-06-2003, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the heads up John. :) Try not to make me look too bad guys...I'll be in the fox this time around...you know...the car with the brakes the size of a Krispy Kreme donut!! ;) :thumbsup:

Don...no worries about your car on track...it will do just fine.

Can't wait to see how the H-rated:( Ventus tires that my car came with will be at CMP. I have a funny feeling I'll be making a tire purchase very soon......

Cross your fingers for good weather next weekend. Sunny and 65 would be great.:thumbsup:

svt_coupe
03-06-2003, 01:49 PM
Don - Come to the track with fresh fluid. Then bring 2 cans extra brake fluid. We'll flush it after Saturday.

SIUNARA
03-06-2003, 02:29 PM
I'll have lots of extra fluid, along with some extra rotors and pads just in case. :)

97whitevert
03-06-2003, 02:41 PM
I'll have lots of extra fluid, along with some extra rotors and pads just in case. :)
and a good plastic box to contain the used smell????:rotf:

wildhorsesracin
03-06-2003, 02:46 PM
I have run CMP in the past on the stock FOX GT brakes - bring fluid - flush nitely!

SIUNARA
03-07-2003, 01:27 PM
It's all about the used brakes pads Lisa...that's where the good smells are hiding...trust me on that one...I've done my homework!! ;) :D