PDA

View Full Version : Cam specs?

Spiffy668
02-19-2003, 08:01 PM
I've seen lots of talk about the 4.6 cam swaps, FR500 this, SHM that, yadda yadda. Other than the obvious benefit to changing camshafts, do you get the "lopey" idle? Take a 5 liter, drop in your basic E303 cam, and you get more useful of an RPM range/powerband as well as a nice thump that is just music to the ears IMO. I've never heard what a DOHC motor sounds like after the cams were swped and was just curious if you could audibly tell the difference. So, can ya?

tcrews
02-19-2003, 10:41 PM
Yep! :)
Unfortunately because of the four cams it's not near as lopey sounding as a 5.0 (or even a SOHC 2V for that matter) but you still have a nice thump thump thump at idle lope and the powerband really extends nicely.

Very expensive to do, you need to pull the engine and of course you need four cams...

smashedheadcat
02-20-2003, 05:02 PM
I was begging to hit the lottery when my engine was apart.:D:D:D:D:D

Spiffy668
02-20-2003, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I figured I wouldn't even consider swapping them unless I to have any headwork or internals changed/fixed/upgraded. I'd never just change cams for the sound value. I like the whine of a blower, but do I have one of those? (not yet) I've had bad luck with timing/timing chains in the past so that is definitely one animal I won't tackle anytime soon. It is nice to know it does give ya a little lope, just gonna have to find someone who's done the swap and listen first hand.

smashedheadcat
02-20-2003, 05:31 PM
Probably could call up True Blue Performance and ask them if they have a modular car there with aftermarket/reground cams. If they do, they'll probably fire it up for ya so you could hear it. Just a thought.

Spiffy668
02-20-2003, 06:12 PM
That would be nice. :) Last time I was out that way, they had one of the Bob Bondurant orange cobras out there. :eek: That thing just looked and sounded MEAN. Next time I'm out there, I'll have to see, but I don't know everybody's name yet since I haven't spent acres of cash out there... yet. :thumbsup: