PDA

View Full Version : New Cobra guy, needs help!

94SVTCobra
02-23-2003, 04:03 PM
Hey fellas, Im new to the cobra world, just bought a 1994 Cobra. List of mods as follows:Extrude honed upper/lower, CAI, 76mm Pro-m mass air, 70mm BBK throttle body, underdrive pulleys, auburn pro rear, 3.73 gears, tremec tko, aluminum driveshaft with saftey-loop, subframe connectors, lakewood shocks and struts, 90/10 front, 50/50 rear, king cobra clutch, 31 spline axles, I took it to my local 1/8 mile track today and couldnt seem to get it to run. I have 275/40/17 Nitto 555R on the back, and the last pass I got it to hook, in only ran a 9.21@79mph, what kind of rpm should I launch at, and should I dump it, or ride it out? 9.21 just seems kind of pathedic to me for this car. Also why does my air/fuel gauge bounce around all the time? :eek:

smashedheadcat
02-23-2003, 04:35 PM
I've heard that the a/f guages are junk........ but I've got a friend that uses them on his carberated 501 big block 69 mustang, and they were spot on with the wideband 02 sensor while on the dyno. He "claims" that the reason is that fuel injected cars are always correcting a/f ratio constantly, and the carb'd cars aren't. I don't know if there is any truth to that or not, but that's what he thought. He said he wasn't sure either, but that's what he'd read somewhere. Did I make any sense at all there??

cobrapace94
02-24-2003, 02:47 PM
First, what was your 60' times? This can tell if you are spinning. What were you launching at? Need to launch at the highest RPMs with out smoking your tires. Even with drag radials, you might want to launch at a higher rpm and slip the clutch. Try launching at 3k rpms. Nittos drag radials need to be heated (burn out)for best traction
Your car should be running faster than 9.21. I got my 94 Cobra vert in the low 9's with less mods than you, I was also using ET streets and would bog when launching at 3k rpms.
Practice, practice and more practice to see what works best with your car. Try different things, tire pressure, rpm launch, shift points and keep a log. Start with the launch and 60' times, when the 60' times go down your et will go down. Drive it like you stole it, easier said than done. :D
Those air fuel ratio gauges are not much help, mainly for show. If it was that easy & cheap to use one, then every dyno would have one. Wide band air fuel ratio meters are pricy