PDA

View Full Version : Post hints/tips for Drag Racing

White98SVT
02-27-2003, 09:57 AM
It seems that every time I go to the track, no matter how many more mods I have, I'm running the same times. I don't know if I just am no good at drag racing or I could improve my methods.

Here's what I usually do,
Quick spin of the tires just to clear dirt
Stage and set up RPM's to about 2-2.5k (Street tires)
Launch somewhat lightly until my tires hook up and then stand on the gas
I have my shift light set to around 6750 and shift right at redline by the time I react.

Even though to me, my method seems good....I'm still having problems getting my times down. Maybe I just have slow feet:blast:

Ken 01-Cobra
02-27-2003, 12:50 PM
Just a couple of things...

Are you really banging the shifts? The difference between street shifts and banged shifts can be as much as .15-.2!

Can you feather the clutch at your higher rpm launch and not spin the tires? My best 60' street tire times came on 2500 launches with a medium feather on the clutch...as much as she would take without breaking loose. Now granted, these were not anything to write home about, but 2.1x 60' with the IRS and street tires isn't TO bad! ;) What is your 60'? If it is already in the 2.0-2.1x range on the IRS Cobra, then that is fairly good.

And no, I am not a professional drag racer either, but I enjoy it a lot! I am looking forward to this weekend to see if the Cobra (and driver) redeems itself after falling on it's face last fall!

White98SVT
02-27-2003, 01:58 PM
Ken,
I'll have to check the slips again to check out the 60', I can't remember it off the top of my head. I have tried every thing from lower RPM launches to higher (around 2500-3000) and I usually end up doing better with a lower launch just because my sorry Kumho's like to break lose. But have no fear, some Toyo Proxes T1-S's are waiting in my garage to go onto the rims so hopefully that will help somewhat.

BAD PNY
02-27-2003, 08:01 PM
Until you get some sticky tires you will be frustrated. It is that simple. If you are going to use street tires, air the fronts up to max pressure and let the rears down to about 22. Slip the clutch at about 2-2500. You should be looking for 2.0-2.2 60ft's.

Really you need some drag radials or better.

Ken 01-Cobra
02-27-2003, 08:30 PM
Ah, just noticed you have the 98. DUH! You should be able to pull low 2.0x 60' times with street tires. My 99 GT would pull 2.02-2.05 60' times on the stock BFG's if I did anything to help. ;)

Get a set of BFG or Nitto drag radials and see if that doesn't help. Also, you have to try different clutch work on launch to see what works best. The best launch is usually 50 RPM shy of breaking the tires loose! ;)